Wait What?

We covered this awhile back ago, but yes she can repair boats. It is quite awesome actually.. it makes her less useless then people claim. I love Winona...  her tape can also be used to repair Thermal Stones and Winter Hats.. making her the excellent choice for Winter Boat Trips.

although I do think that her Hunger penalty for crafting small items that EVERYONE has to craft and in extremely mass quantities isn’t a fun perk.... it’s just freaking annoying.

I feel like this while playing as Winona- (Crafts Torch, Crafts Pickaxe, Crafts Wood Axe, Breaks Wood Axe and Pickaxe mining resources so Crafts another Axe and Pickaxe)  “I’ve worked a full 9 to 5 work-shift now, it’s time to go eat a full course meal and dessert”

the TL:DR- No one else in the game starts starving after crafting a few basic survival items so why does Winona have to?

Her Hunger penalty should still be in full effect on bigger more resource costly builds though- Such as Science Machines, Alchemy Engines, Tents, Seista Lean-To’s etc.. 

but not on Spears that I break an average of 3 of per day in combat.

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

We covered this awhile back ago, but yes she can repair boats. It is quite awesome actually.. it makes her less useless then people claim. I love Winona...  her tape can also be used to repair Thermal Stones and Winter Hats.. making her the excellent choice for Winter Boat Trips.

although I do think that her Hunger penalty for crafting small items that EVERYONE has to craft and in extremely mass quantities isn’t a fun perk.... it’s just freaking annoying.

I feel like this while playing as Winona- (Crafts Torch, Crafts Pickaxe, Crafts Wood Axe, Breaks Wood Axe and Pickaxe mining resources so Crafts another Axe and Pickaxe)  “I’ve worked a full 9 to 5 work-shift now, it’s time to go eat a full course meal and dessert”

the TL:DR- No one else in the game starts starving after crafting a few basic survival items so why does Winona have to?

Her Hunger penalty should still be in full effect on bigger more resource costly builds though- Such as Science Machines, Alchemy Engines, Tents, Seista Lean-To’s etc.. 

i like her speed craft perk, food isnt a real problem and helps a lot when you have to make 9999 boards and robes

pd. if you will need more than 1 spear then craft it and keep for later (or make hambat for long combat time :p). Adapt your gameplay to each character

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No one else in the game gets damaged by rain, so why should WX-78 have to?
No one else in the game has insomnia, so why should Wickerbottom have to?
No one else in the game is unable to talk, so why should Wes have to?
No one else in the game can only eat crock pot foods, so why should Warly have to?
No one else is unable to heal from food, so why should Wormwood have to?
No one else in the game refuses to eat meat, so why should Wurt have to?
I'm not sure I understand your point here. Every character has a different downside, this is Winona's.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is an issue that can be solved by simply upgrading from spears. A hambat for example will do more damage than a spear when fresh and has no durability. I won't post exact numbers, but you can see the difference by attacking something like a spider with both weapons.

24 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

No one else in the game gets damaged by rain, so why should WX-78 have to?
No one else in the game has insomnia, so why should Wickerbottom have to?
No one else in the game is unable to talk, so why should Wes have to?
No one else in the game can only eat crock pot foods, so why should Warly have to?
No one else is unable to heal from food, so why should Wormwood have to?
I'm not sure I understand your point here. Every character has a different downside, this is Winona's.

This is an issue that can be solved by simply upgrading from spears. A hambat for example will do more damage than a spear when fresh and has no durability. I won't post exact numbers, but you can see the difference by attacking something like a spider with both weapons.

The hambat skins are all ugly.. if I’m gonna use a weapon it needs to at least look cool. lol but also- Thank You.. Winona’s Downside is no fun- Wickerbottoms is fun, WX78’s is fun,  Wormwoods is fun, Wurts Downside is fun, Wortox is fun, Wigfrids Meat Only thing is fun. and as much as I totally suck playing as WARLY his is also fun too.

The problem is that Winona’s Downside is the opposite of fun, it’s like you gotta pluck every berry and carrot on the map and constantly craft meatball dishes so she isn’t always starving. Just picture her as a Beefalo.. you shove food in her trap and a few minutes later she’ll have it wide open wanting even more.

I can somewhat prove it actually- Everyone Crafts a Celestial portal long enough to place a few useful Winona Structures and then immediately swaps back to a superior character.

theres no need for me to try and argue my point when all the proof is in the statistics.

But yes I do totally get your point- Winona’s Downside just isn’t fun or Unique it just makes her a food gathering hunger trap, and When EVERYONE in the game is Starving- Blame the Winona who raided all the fridges. Being able to patch boat leaks defiantly helps in her uniqueness, but it does nothing in the terms of her being a throw away character people play for a bit then swap to someone else.

We need more Winona mains out there, In fact I’ve put Wendy, Wicker and Wigfrid aside to try and become a Winona main.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

it’s like you gotta pluck every berry and carrot on the map and constantly craft meatball dishes so she isn’t always starving. Just picture her as a Beefalo.. you shove food in her trap and a few minutes later she’ll have it wide open wanting even more.

Since day in Don't Starve lasts 8 minutes and Winona loses 5 hunger for every 1-minute crafting interval, you could theoretically lose up to 40 (5 x 8) additional hunger a day as Winona if you were to time your crafting at 1-minute intervalls perfectly. Realistically, you would only be able to get 35 if you tried.

Compared to Wolfgang, he loses 37.5 additional hunger a day by default in his regular form, and he's got plenty more disadvantages than ol' Winona.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The problem is that Winona’s Downside is the opposite of fun, it’s like you gotta pluck every berry and carrot on the map and constantly craft meatball dishes so she isn’t always starving. Just picture her as a Beefalo.. you shove food in her trap and a few minutes later she’ll have it wide open wanting even more.

Her hunger isn't the thing making people swap after she is done her job since even before her rework she wasn't played much other than mass crafting boards/turf, tapes and the rare I feel like playing as Winona. Things that doesn't help her are that she, as character, isn't as interesting as the rest of the cast at first glanc and low interest means low Winona players and after she is done building stuff she becomes Wilson's shadow for the most part (unless on console since crafting on a pinch in there can be awful at times).

Plus, Wolf and Warly exist and even though I see less Warly I know that at least there are more people who mains him, likes the playstyle/portable crockpot or uses him as a challenge character over Wes, while Winona doesn't fill any niche playstyle properly. And Wolf's downside in just hunger and the negligible increase in insanity aura putting his downside to be almost at the same level as Winona's yet he is somewhat common on pubs and pretty common on private servers with people that know what they are doing.

12 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Every character has a different downside, this is Winona's.

I want to highlight this particular part of your post to explain how Wurt being a vegetarian is a non-issue and all her PERKS more than make up for her one tiny downside.

For Starters- She doesn’t lose her grip when it rains So tools won’t slip out of her hands when wet.

She also gains increased movement speeds while walking on swamp Biomes (or Marsh turf as it’s called in game) not only that but she can Extend this turf by crafting more of it.

She can get one tiny living fish and have sanity gain.

i won’t discuss royal tapestry and merm guards.. they shouldn’t need explanation- 

But perhaps the most overpowered thing Wurt can do that NO ONE ELSE Can. Is that she can Befriend Merms and have them follow her much like other characters can Pigmen or Spiders..

Except Where Merms separates themselves from Pig Men is well for one they don’t panic and run away at dusk seeking light- but They can be befriended by giving them Veggies or a Pet Fishy And when Wurt hits a tree once with an Axe or a ROCK once with a Pickaxe the Merms will step in finishing the job For her, Saving the durability of her tools in the process.

So no I do not AT ALL see being a Vegetarian as being equal to Winona going on Hunger strike after crafting a few simple tools. :( 

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

TL:DR- No one else in the game starts starving after crafting a few basic survival items so why does Winona have to?

She's just a very hungry lady okay. She works really hard!

Jokes aside, Winona main here and I personally don't have a lot of trouble feeding her. I can maybe suggest, always have some food with you. Bacon and eggs are always a good choice because it doesn't spoil fast. You can make like 4-5 and it will last for awhile. Also, as other people said, using ham bats, opulent tools and lanterns limit a lot of crafting.

For me, the food penalty is extremely worth her crafting speed, because sometimes I have to make 100 boards and making them fast feels so good. But I guess that's personal preference.

That's the thing in don't starve, the character are all so different and they have downsides that some people hate, some people don't mind, and other who even find it enjoyable. It's nice, everybody can find something they like.

I agree with Warlepidoptera, personally as a Winona main most of the time, I like her crafting speed perk and the hunger penalty is an acceptably fun downside for that. I personally don't enjoy Wickerbottom's insomnia at all (especially in winter's feast, barring her from festive tree gifts), while Winona's downside is good in its simplicity, she's really a balanced all round character that can do anything than being crippled by more specialized downsides that block some characters from eating meaty meals, eating vegetarian meals, eating non crock pot food, eating healing food or sleeping. Those downsides are fitting for their respective characters as an added challenge but I don't want all characters to be prevented from accessing certain features of the game.

Winona can do anything and on top of that; craft fast, repair items and boats, make use of nitre through spotlights & catapults and has to gather and hunt more and do more hunger & resource management for those perks, which is fine balancing in my opinion. Also I've been encountering increasingly more Winonas in public servers lately, which is a good thing, an indication that she's finally gaining the popularity she deserves, at least at the level of other characters in the main cast.

If you find yourself starving when playing as her, try to planning ahead and doing the bulk of your crafting in certain focused sessions instead of spreading it out in the day. As stated a lot of times in these forums, hunger really isn't a crippling issue in Don't Starve Together and the nature is quite abundant, as such hunger related negatives like Wolfgang, Wes and Winona's aren't a deal breaker for the characters (especially in Wofgang's case it is arguably too puny of a negative for his positives). Thanks to the Hook Line and Inker, we now have abundant access to fish and corn in winter; Autumn is calm so you can hunt and gather to your heart's content, winter has ice, meats and fish, spring is abundant in crops n frogs and summer has long days for beehives and cacti giving two times the fillers.

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The hambat skins are all ugly.. if I’m gonna use a weapon it needs to at least look cool. lol but also- Thank You.. Winona’s Downside is no fun- Wickerbottoms is fun, WX78’s is fun,  Wormwoods is fun, Wurts Downside is fun, Wortox is fun, Wigfrids Meat Only thing is fun. and as much as I totally suck playing as WARLY his is also fun too.

I can somewhat prove it actually- Everyone Crafts a Celestial portal long enough to place a few useful Winona Structures and then immediately swaps back to a superior character.

theres no need for me to try and argue my point when all the proof is in the statistics.

But yes I do totally get your point- Winona’s Downside just isn’t fun or Unique it just makes her a food gathering hunger trap, and When EVERYONE in the game is Starving- Blame the Winona who raided all the fridges. Being able to patch boat leaks defiantly helps in her uniqueness, but it does nothing in the terms of her being a throw away character people play for a bit then swap to someone else.

We need more Winona mains out there, In fact I’ve put Wendy, Wicker and Wigfrid aside to try and become a Winona main.

then lets rework winona because you dont want to use hambat...

food isnt a problem in this game, the only problem with food its that you cant eat all the food you can farm.

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I want to highlight this particular part of your post to explain how Wurt being a vegetarian is a non-issue and all her PERKS more than make up for her one tiny downside.

For Starters- She doesn’t lose her grip when it rains So tools won’t slip out of her hands when wet.

She also gains increased movement speeds while walking on swamp Biomes (or Marsh turf as it’s called in game) not only that but she can Extend this turf by crafting more of it.

She can get one tiny living fish and have sanity gain.

i won’t discuss royal tapestry and merm guards.. they shouldn’t need explanation- 

But perhaps the most overpowered thing Wurt can do that NO ONE ELSE Can. Is that she can Befriend Merms and have them follow her much like other characters can Pigmen or Spiders..

Except Where Merms separates themselves from Pig Men is well for one they don’t panic and run away at dusk seeking light- but They can be befriended by giving them Veggies or a Pet Fishy And when Wurt hits a tree once with an Axe or a ROCK once with a Pickaxe the Merms will step in finishing the job For her, Saving the durability of her tools in the process.

So no I do not AT ALL see being a Vegetarian as being equal to Winona going on Hunger strike after crafting a few simple tools. :( 

Yeah well Winona can kill all raid bosses easy peasy with her catapults. See Lakhnish Monster on Youtube if you don't believe it.

She can farm virtually any farmable mob with an automated farm using catapults.

Basically she can sit back relax and watch things die. Without much intervention. She might need to slap a mob or two but that's all it take for the killing to start. I think the downside is perfect for her. 

Winona is a lategame character in my list. She is Tier S-A in lategame where you have a thousand meatballs and neverending materials. This is one of the many reasons why Winona is a switch character. She sucks in earlygame due to food problems and low materials. Come midgame she is getting better but she is best at lategame where she can build 30 catapults to kill a boss. No one wants to suffer as Winona when you can just switch to her in the lategame.

Archived