Making liquid oxygen without supercoolant

11 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Double check my math, but the aquatuner is about 12 times more efficient than thermo regulators for LOX:
Math was double checked values corrected:

LOX: 1.01 DTU/(g*C)
H2: 0.168 DTU/(g*C)
H2: 2.4 DTU/(g*C)

Running an aquatuner which takes 1.2kW:
10kg/s * 14C * 1.01DTU/(g*C) = 141.4kDTU/s
(141.4kDTU/s)/(1.2kW) = 117.83(DTU/s)/W

Running a thermo regulator, which takes 240W (0.240kW):
1kg/s * 14C * 0.168DTU/(g*C) = 2.352kDTU/s
1kg/s * 14C * 2.4DTU/(g*C) = 33.6kDTU/s
(2.352kDTU/s)/(0.240kW) = 9.8(DTU/s)/W
(33.6kDTU/s)/(0.240kW) = 140(DTU/s)/W

117.83/9.8 = 12.02 times more efficient to use an aquatuner than thermo regulators.
117.83/140 = 0.84 times more efficient to use an aquatuner than thermo regulators.

Meaning, it is better to use the thermo regulator. I stand corrected, thanks @Coolthulhu and @Angpaur for pointing out my mistake.

I personally would probably still use the LOX in an aquatuner because it is more space efficient.  Keep in mind that space is a resource and you don't want to use too much of it to save power.  I usually find that power is plentiful and I run my generators constantly for the polluted water.  Additionally, there are less pipes involved, so it is also more lag friendly.

Also, the OP might want to look up the term "hydrogen bubbler"  For some reason, that's what they were called.  That and LOX machines.  This is from back before filtration medium was at all renewable (no rock granulator or space), so people didn't want to use things like sieves and deodorizers.

Some of the old mechanics of hydrogen bubblers doesn't work anymore.  Particularly there was a bug where a small amount of cold liquid dropping into a larger pool of warmer liquid would delete massive amounts of heat.  You can look for "Borg Cube" posts for more details.

Anyway, many hydrogen bubbler designs had a stair-step type setup that would let the "drip cooling" mechanic aid in efficiency.  Warmer oxygen would come in at vents at the bottom, "bubble" up through the hydrogen already in the room, and condense to liquid at some point, then drip back down the stairs to further cool the hydrogen.

So, if you take an old build as an example, just remember that some of the thermal mechanics don't work the way they used to.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:36 AM, KittenIsAGeek said:

Particularly there was a bug where a small amount of cold liquid dropping into a larger pool of warmer liquid would delete massive amounts of heat.

How is this different from the current heat deletion / overpressuirsing bug to do with dripping cool liquid or having the outlet partially submersed?

1 hour ago, KILLABUDZ said:

How is this different from the current heat deletion / overpressuirsing bug to do with dripping cool liquid or having the outlet partially submersed?

The classic drip cooling bug that powered the Borg Cube would change an entire column of liquid's temperature orders of magnitude more than it should have.

Cooling thousands of kilograms of water just by dropping cool water into a pool was super broken.

50 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

The classic drip cooling bug that powered the Borg Cube would change an entire column of liquid's temperature orders of magnitude more than it should have.

"How did 5kg of liquid, at any temp, even alter the temp of 10000kg of steam at all."

Different application but still pretty much the same effect isnt it?

On 12/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, KILLABUDZ said:

Lets say you had 10kg of 1C water that fell into a 5-column deep pool of 60C water.  The thermal transfer would basically propagate down the column based on the mass of the top of the column.  If the surface layer of the pool had a mass of 10kg, then the 10kg of 1C water would warm up to about 30C and the five columns of water directly below the drop would cool to about 30C. 

The current bug, if I'm reading things right, is a temperature swap between two masses in very particular cases.  The bug that powered the "Borg Cube" worked with all liquids in pretty much any drip situation.

Archived