Moose/Goose Nests, Ponds

Is there any way to get rid of those pesky nests? And is there a way to stop frogs and mosquitoes from spawning at ponds? These three things are super debilitating. I've expanded my base and there are about 4 geesemeese spawns every spring, all nearby. The moslings eat all my crops while the meesegeese wreak havoc on nearby structures. Similarly, I constantly get frogs and mosquitoes attacking me from the nearby swamp/grass biomes. Moving everything will take many seasons. Klei, can you please consider implementing repellents? Can we please have the ability to get rid of nest spawns? Also maybe you could make it so bath bombs stop the spawning of frogs and mosquitoes from the respective pond you place it in for a year. Any tips besides moving my base?

Honestly if you’re super dedicated to the location, you may as well temporarily swap to Winona and build a system to deal with them as quickly as possible. I’m assuming you already know, but, just in case for the future, you can tell where the nests will be by the sticky circles near the ponds and such. Rarely, you can find nests not even near ponds. My friend and I had been super careless and not paying attention and we were quite surprised to see a moose goose land directly in front of us as the season shifted.

As far as mosquitoes and stuff, I’ve never personally tried it, but you can try to build a fence around them and see if that’ll contain things. I’d assume you would need to make it wide enough that the creatures don’t spawn outside of it, so don’t hug it too close to the pond if you give it a shot. 

You can surround ponds with tight sculpture walls, just make sure the nest has enough space within so moose or moslings can't spawn outside of the wall. Moose breaks walls but can't hammer structures. Nestless ponds can be blocked with regular walls because frogs don't attack walls.

As for swamp ponds, if you are not going to use them for fishing, you can plant lureplant nearby that would spawn eye plants near ponds which will consume mosquitoes as soon as they get close enough. It might be even better if mosquitoes could target lureplant - if there's eye plant between lureplant and pond, mosquitoes will continuously get consumed as they try to attack lureplant. That strategy, however, will require you to replace almost a screen worth of turf around lureplant with the one that doesn't allow eye plants to spawn so you can still move around.

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

And is there a way to stop frogs and mosquitoes from spawning at ponds?

With frogs, if you keep telelocating them away (to a pen somewhere, or one of the lunar islands) then the pond should eventually stop spawning them. For mosquitoes, I think you could catch them with a bug net, then leave them at some obscure spot in the ocean or the lunar islands again. Sadly you can't just bundle the mosquitoes, since that'll unlink them from their pond and allow it to spawn more.

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

With frogs, if you keep telelocating them away (to a pen somewhere, or one of the lunar islands) then the pond should eventually stop spawning them. For mosquitoes, I think you could catch them with a bug net, then leave them at some obscure spot in the ocean or the lunar islands again. Sadly you can't just bundle the mosquitoes, since that'll unlink them from their pond and allow it to spawn more.

I will try these, thanks!

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Turn off moose/goose in your gameplay settings. That will fix it. :) 

I wouldn't want to disable weather pains, luxury fans etc. I have them set to "less" but they're still way too many, I can barely expand my base anymore.

51 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I will try these, thanks!

I wouldn't want to disable weather pains, luxury fans etc. I have them set to "less" but they're still way too many, I can barely expand my base anymore.

Oh well the only other option I can suggest is to spawn some tree Guardians or a Spider Queen nest nearby, that way the Moose-Goose dies while fighting with it. 

It seems the Spider Queen can be used to exploit most bosses with the exception of the Deerclops who just endlessly freezes her in place till she’s dead. :( 

Hopefully this helps you- Or just build lots of Winona Catapults!!! Either way good luck reclaiming your Base from the Geese Army.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Oh well the only other option I can suggest is to spawn some tree Guardians or a Spider Queen nest nearby, that way the Moose-Goose dies while fighting with it. 

It seems the Spider Queen can be used to exploit most bosses with the exception of the Deerclops who just endlessly freezes her in place till she’s dead. :( 

Hopefully this helps you- Or just build lots of Winona Catapults!!! Either way good luck reclaiming your Base from the Geese Army.

That tree guard idea is good. I don't think I'll use spiderqueens because then I'd have a spider infestation near my base :D

Part of the challenge of the game is to learn this stuff and take many factors into account when picking a base site. So while I can understand why you don’t want to move your base or start fresh in a new world, I do think that’s really the answer. The base you will build when you understand the game that much better from making this mistake will be so much better than the ones before. It’s one of the drawbacks of DST over DS, the lack of permadeath that forces you to start over again from scratch so many times.

On 17.12.2019 at 2:33 AM, Gourmand said:

Is there any way to get rid of those pesky nests?

Moose Goose spawn point (those points that looks like grass straw are scattered in circle on the ground) cannot be removed with any in game tool. If you want to get rid of it, stand near it and use console command

c_find"moose_nesting_ground":Remove()

since the spawn point is removed, moose goose will never spawn in this spot again.

For the future, just scan your surroundings before settling near dangers or annoyances like this 

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

Moose Goose spawn point (those points that looks like grass straw are scattered in circle on the ground) cannot be removed with any in game tool. If you want to get rid of it, stand near it and use console command

c_find"moose_nesting_ground":Remove()

since the spawn point is removed, moose goose will never spawn in this spot again.

For the future, just scan your surroundings before settling near dangers or annoyances like this 

Unfortunately this is not an option, as I am a console user.

It was the only swamp (I started the world as Wurt) and the base of it was just filled with ponds and many nests were in the immediate area. The problem became apparent when I began to expand base. Thanks for your suggestion though!

17 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Unfortunately this is not an option, as I am a console user.

It was the only swamp (I started the world as Wurt) and the base of it was just filled with ponds and many nests were in the immediate area. The problem became apparent when I began to expand base. Thanks for your suggestion though!

You dont have to limit yoruself to swamp, you can move the turf elsewhere, unless you wanted it for other reasons than being able to build merm huts

On 12/17/2019 at 5:35 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Except Bearger who also has a stronger aoe, Antlion who has aoe, ancient guardian who can outlive her, Toadstool who can definitely outlive her, Klaus who can both outlive her and maker her frozen/on fire, Fuelweaver who will spawn bone cages for free hits on her, malbatross who will just ignore her, and Bee Queen who can just make her minions prick SQ's menions to death. The only one whp she can reasonably take is moose goose, and that still takes a fair few of them.

I prefer to use treeguards, but they only work well on bosses that have aoe or are highly territorial (which the goose is). Treeguards can work well against goose, deerclops, and bearger though typically I use multiple which isn't a big deal since I get a lot of 'em. Treeguards can be taken advantage of during shadow pieces (bishop and rook), the ancient fuelweaver, and I believe dragonfly if you let her do her AOE on it. Treeguards are not good against Klaus, bee queen, and for the most part toadstool (the exploding mushrooms don't draw the treeguards aggro unsure if ground pound does).

Archived