New Oven and Food Mechanics

The Winter's Feast masonry oven, along with the table and the new foods are very interesting mechanics. Although the buffs the food give you aren't too useful, and the methods of crafting them are a bit too convoluted, I think a permanent version of these mechanics would make for fine permanent additions to the game. Since the Gorge event, many have yearned for more in depth farming and cooking systems. The holiday additions give us a nice taste of what could potentially come.

Personally, I'd like to see them keep a mechanic like this in game. It is perfectly on brand for the game (magical oven that produces magical food). Maybe it'd be a boss-drop exclusive oven? For example, a dragonfly scale, 10 nightmare fuel and a red gem would be used to produce a special dish that provides warmth for x amount of days, depending on how much of it you eat. There could be speed dishes, max health dishes, armor resist dishes, and many more. It'd make for a very useful late-game playstyle. What does everybody think about the new Winter's Feast cooking and foods?

2 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

Well the effect that you get from eating the food stacks if you have many other tables next one another with food on them also, so if you have enough tables you could make that buff last all year.

Yeah, but that is not really practical. It requires a lot of real estate. It's also holiday-exclusive. A permanent feature like this would be amazing. 

I think it should be event exclusive. Holiday cheer and feasting around the table is a good theme for December. The new food ingredients are pretty goofy and make no sense. Not a very polished concept if it were to stick around forever. It's not terribly useful either, just fun to use.

2 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

The new food ingredients are pretty goofy and make no sense.

That’s because they are supposed to make no sense. The characters use the spirit of holiday cheer to envision the product they are making. This especially is true with character examinations, as some characters like Wurt see the dishes with no meat, while Wigfrid sees the same dishes as having meat along with them. It fits in well, IMO.

The dishes themselves are not amazing, but it’s a nice little festive thing, so I will agree with that.

48 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

I think it should be event exclusive. Holiday cheer and feasting around the table is a good theme for December. The new food ingredients are pretty goofy and make no sense. Not a very polished concept if it were to stick around forever. It's not terribly useful either, just fun to use.

Yes. These specific recipes and the holiday cheer should remain Winter's Feast exclusive items. It is not very polished, and that is why I think they should revamp this concept and add something similar to this permanently in the game. I'm hoping they add a way to feast with friends, and a new oven that lets you craft magical dishes that can buff the team. The concept is too good to throw away, and it could give more use to items such as deerclops eyeballs, phlegm etc. while substituting frequently requested features (coffee from shipwrecked's speed buff could hail from one of these new feasts). I just don't want them to abandon content and new mechanics, like the fantastic Gorge farming, bartering, cooking and to an extent the Forge's combat.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Nickolai said:

Well the effect that you get from eating the food stacks if you have many other tables next one another with food on them also, so if you have enough tables you could make that buff last all year.

Can you tell me how many tables I would need to make the buff last all year? Do you have an exact number of days the buff lasts? 

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Can you tell me how many tables I would need to make the buff last all year? Do you have an exact number of days the buff lasts? 

No unfortunately, tbh i was exaggerating with that. I myself dont know the mechanics of the tables so they could have a max number on how long you can get the effect.

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

If the calculations on https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Winter's_Feast are correct and you're feasting as 8, then:

A whole year is 70 days, 560 minutes or 33,600 seconds, there are only 18 different dishes and you feast for only 60 seconds, so it will take only:

Spoiler

667.47 tables or about 24*28 tables to make the buff last all year.

Edit: Added more calculations.

Spoiler

Feasting with no duplicate dishes: 250.03 different dishes (feast 14 min non-stop)
Feasting with just a single dish: 787748609,14 players feasting at once

On 12/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I just want this stove as a Cookpot skin... that is mine to use Forever. it is Awesome, thanks that’s all I got to say.

If we don’t get to keep some variant of it eventually, I’m really hoping for a Scaled Furnace skin of it. Crockpot would be awesome, but I’ve taken to using a mod that adds the Hamlet House into DST, and then I could have a wood stove rather than a firepit in my house :) 

Archived