Moon Theory: Ancients

Ok, I am on a crazy lore rampage right now, all the new moon stuff has made me go insane. 

Also, I know I'm like BORDERLINE spamming lore in the chats, but this needs its topic. I need HUGE help on this theory. So please voice your opinion, and help me clean it up or change it. I seriously think I'm on to something.

ALSO ALSO Before reading this, realize that some of these character quotes ARE JUST QUOTES. Some of them could be dead false, they are jsut from the character's perspective

Alright! So! I found some interesting character quotes based around the moon. 

Wolfgang:

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "Moon is shy in cave!": This goes along with Wendy's future quote, not only is the moon not able to reach the caves, it is shy in the caves

Moon Rock IdolMoon Rock Idol- "Hehe. Is funny little moon man."     ----> Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "Is too scary in here for funny man to work.": I Find this a bit weird, as Wolfgang might just be saying the statue looks like a man. Who knows maybe Wolfgang's stupid brain is on to something.

Also a person led to this ;) (SEE BELOW)

Gestalt   ----->  Moon Rock Idol       KInda similar don't ya' think?

Wickerbottom: 

Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "It needs a lunar influence."

Webber: 

Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "Doesn't work. We probably need to see the moon or something."

Wigfrid:

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "Mani cannöt see us here.": In mythology, a lunar deity is a God or Goddess associated with or symbolizing the Moon. Mani was the God/Goddess of the moon.

Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "Needs the gaze öf Mani tö wörk."

Maxwell: 

Moon StoneMoon Stone (broken)- "Ruins of an ancient relic.": Interesting, ruins of an Ancient Relic which normally relics come from a previous civilization. Now, what other civilizations do we know about? Ancients, and Humans. That's it, and Maxwell *NEXT QUOTE* Talks about how he thought it was destroyed EONS ago. Now Eons are billions of years, and I don't think the Survivors have been there for eons. So it puts it down to Ancients, OR some other civilization we don't know about. 

Moon StoneMoon Stone (repaired)- "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago.": Destroyed by Ancients? Because he doesn't say "I had thought I destroyed all of these eons ago" He said "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago" Stating HE didn't destroy them someone else did. WHICH IS WEIRD, because he talks about THESE like there is multiple, and multiple were destroyed but one was missed. So why would they destroy them hmm???

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "The cave provides sanctuary from the 'moon's' prying eyes.": Almost like the moon wants down there.....

Woodie:

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "We're free from the moon's reach down here."

WX-78: 

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "THE MOON CAN'T SEE US HERE"

Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "ERROR: LOGIN REQUIRES MOON VISIBILITY"

Wendy:

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "Caves. The moon's one weakness.": This one is the most interesting out of all of them. Wendy doesn't say this SEEMS to be the Moon's one weakness, or this MAY be the Moon's one weakness. She is very bleak and to the point. "The Moon's one weakness." Wendy is known for her depressing, but true and straight to the point statements

Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "I can't... not in here."

It looks like the Moon wants down in the caves, but can't get down there. Coincidence that the nightmares (Moon's enemy) Is in the one place the moon cannot reach? I think not... It seems that the Moon and you need a direct line of sight with the Moon otherwise it's ineffective. Also, the developers were planning on adding in the working moondial in caves until the new turn of tides...... I wonder why...... 

Is it possible that the Ancients moved underground because of the Moon? Which is weird because the Moon offers protection.....

Wendy:

Moon Rock Wall BuildMoon Rock Wall- "The moon... she whispers promises of protection to me.": PROMISES of protection. Like the Moon wants this...

This does kind of fight my previous argument with Wolfgang because Wendy calls the Moon a She, while Wolfgang says Funny Man (To be fair Wolfgang is like REALLY stoopid, and he could just be being a stoopid head) Also it could just be Wolfgang's perspective because the idol does look like a man

BACK TO THE ANCIENTS POINT: So yes they do "Promise Protection" but I'm assuming the Moon is protecting everyone from nightmare creatures. BUT before the Ancients went underground there were no "Nightmares" (THANKS ANCIENTS) So I think the Moon was a bit mean to the ancients forcing them underground. Like maybe the Ancients used the Moon too much which caused them to have to move??? They are shown to pull oopsies like this underground. 

Also is it weird that there is a torchbearer that represents light down below? (The Queen) And also a Staffbearer which represents Darkness? And the fact that Moon (give or take) represents light, and nightmare represents dark. Is that why the Queen fought the darkness? Because the Moon KNEW that it was bad? 

It is all a bit coincidental... 

IMAGE BELOW: The Ancients moving underground

image.thumb.png.840f80ed9e548042a1de0fd739b760a7.png

So! That's my theory on the moon early back in the day before Maxwell RULED the world. (QUE IN FALLEN KINGDOM/VIVA LA VIDA)

Now an individual did tell me that I'm reading to much into the character quotes, and this honestly REALLY isn't false. But the characters have been right on many things in the past. Maxwell literally ruled over the world. So I understand that some or all of the quotes can be false. 

Another individual asked me to change the black highlight, and I got you ;)

I could be VERY wrong about this, and if you tried..... You could PROBABLY find holes in my theory, but all I have to say is... I REALLY think this is correct. So many things fit in so many places..

So PLEASE voice your opinion on this Theory, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!

Also why you confused Sunset Skye? ;) 

\__("/)__/

Wolfgang calling the moon rock idol a funny man goes along with other character quotes referring to the figure as an alien/"loonie", in other words he's not referring to the moon itself but to the statue of one of its inhabitants... possibly. 

The moon rock idol also resembles the celestial altar. I see a one eyed figure with palms facing the sky. Tbh I also think the Gestalts look like these figures as well...

19 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Wolfgang calling the moon rock idol a funny man goes along with other character quotes referring to the figure as an alien/"loonie", in other words he's not referring to the moon itself but to the statue of one of its inhabitants... possibly. 

The moon rock idol also resembles the celestial altar. I see a one eyed figure with palms facing the sky. Tbh I also think the Gestalts look like these figures as well...

That's why I put maybe Wolfgang just see's him as a funny looking man.

But I will look into the Gestalts thing ;) 

19 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

I see a one eyed figure with palms facing the sky. Tbh I also think the Gestalts look like these figures as well...

Done! Check back and it's there. I honestly think you are on to something! 

Also..... There a lot of interesting quotes from characters inspecting Gestalts...

Warly:

GestaltGestalt- "Can you... get me home to dear Maman?"

Wilson:

GestaltGestalt- "They're promising me... knowledge."

Wickerbottom

GestaltGestalt- "They are the projections of something stronger."

Maxwell: 

GestaltGestalt- "It communes with us through them."

Willow:

GestaltGestalt- "It feels like they're speaking inside my head!"

Wendy: 

GestaltGestalt- "I can feel their fear and loneliness."

WX-78

GestaltGestalt- "THE MOON HAS FINALLY COME FOR ME"

Woody:

GestaltGestalt- "We're all connected, eh?"

Wigfrid:

GestaltGestalt- "Göddess öf the möön, shine thy smile upön me!"

Webber:

GestaltGestalt- "They want to talk, but they don't know how!"

I like the theory, but not the examples used as evidence for the very reason you said yourself.

Maxwell's quotes have credibility due to his knowledge/experience of the dark arts, but even in regards to the moon he himself admits he's not super acquainted with it. Enough so to know the moon isn't a 'moon' and that the opal is very powerful but not much more. I'd say his quotes can be taken fairly one for one.

Everyone else though... not so much.

The main thing being said across all the quotes is that the moon doesn't really function in the caves. Which is... obvious basically. It's a fail quote for using the moon dial, so that's kind of the point. Does that mean there isn't more to it? There definitely can be, but I'd trust the repetition rather than the specific quotes (such as Wendy's—it's probably just flavor text considering her [lack of] knowledge on the topic. I would trust Woodie over her due to his position, but not much even then).

3 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I like the theory, but not the examples used as evidence for the very reason you said yourself.

Maxwell's quotes have credibility due to his knowledge/experience of the dark arts, but even in regards to the moon he himself admits he's not super acquainted with it. Enough so to know the moon isn't a 'moon' and that the opal is very powerful but not much more. I'd say his quotes can be taken fairly one for one.

Everyone else though... not so much.

The main thing being said across all the quotes is that the moon doesn't really function in the caves. Which is... obvious basically. It's a fail quote for using the moon dial, so that's kind of the point. Does that mean there isn't more to it? There definitely can be, but I'd trust the repetition rather than the specific quotes (such as Wendy's—it's probably just flavor text considering her [lack of] knowledge on the topic. I would trust Woodie over her due to his position, but not much even then).

This does make sense, I did say at the end that I'm reading to much into the quotes. I am, I won't deny.

But some of them just seem so.... Straightforward.... 

Some characters are known to have knowledge. Like Wickerbottom will say when she doesn't know things. Maxwell (Yes I know you said it) ruled over the world. 

But yeah, again just a small theory that has some background. Thanks for the reply!

4 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

Think about Moon as living creature.

?????

16 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

?????

Moon have some plans and survivors know about it.

2 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

BACK TO THE ANCIENTS POINT: So yes they do "Promise Protection" but I'm assuming the Moon is protecting everyone from nightmare creatures. BUT before the Ancients went underground there were no "Nightmares" (THANKS ANCIENTS) So I think the Moon was a bit mean to the ancients forcing them underground. Like maybe the Ancients used the Moon too much which caused them to have to move??? They are shown to pull oopsies like this underground. 

Also is it weird that there is a torchbearer that represents light down below? (The Queen) And also a Staffbearer which represents Darkness? And the fact that Moon (give or take) represents light, and nightmare represents dark. Is that why the Queen fought the darkness? Because the Moon KNEW that it was bad?

I don't think Moon had a lot of common with ancients. The Gnaw banished them to underground.

Of course Moon hates nightmares but It don't have acces to undergroud (so it created Wormwood)

Ancient Queen and King was traited by Them.

4 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

IMAGE BELOW: The Ancients moving underground

image.thumb.png.840f80ed9e548042a1de0fd739b760a7.png

Also, at the top of this image there are 5 circles that kinda look like moon phases. One looks like an eye.

I still think this is all a game of chess, Gestalts are white pieces nightmare creatures are black pieces

20 hours ago, maciu67 said:

Moon have some plans and survivors know about it.

I don't think Moon had a lot of common with ancients. The Gnaw banished them to underground.

Of course Moon hates nightmares but It don't have acces to undergroud (so it created Wormwood)

Ancient Queen and King was traited by Them.

Ahhhh! But see, that's where I think otherwise!

Moon StoneMoon Stone (broken)- "Ruins of an ancient relic.": Interesting, ruins of an Ancient Relic which normally relics come from a previous civilization. Now, what other civilizations do we know about? Ancients, and Humans. That's it, and Maxwell *NEXT QUOTE* Talks about how he thought it was destroyed EONS ago. Now Eons are billions of years, and I don't think the Survivors have been there for eons. So it puts it down to Ancients, OR some other civilization we don't know about. 

Moon StoneMoon Stone (repaired)- "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago.": Destroyed by Ancients? Because he doesn't say "I had thought I destroyed all of these eons ago" He said "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago" Stating HE didn't destroy them someone else did. WHICH IS WEIRD, because he talks about THESE like there is multiple, and multiple were destroyed but one was missed. So why would they destroy them hmm???

As you can see, destroyed by who? An Ancient Relic of what civilization?

This basically means, that either

#1: There is ANOTHER civilization that we do not know about

#2: The Ancients messed with The Moon stuff

#3: The Survivors have been there for EONS

Btw Eons are billions of years soooo...... yeah.....

ALSO there were MANY of them as he says "I thought THESE were all destroyed eons ago"

Moon StoneMoon Stone (broken)- "Ruins of an ancient relic.": Interesting, ruins of an Ancient Relic which normally relics come from a previous civilization. Now, what other civilizations do we know about? Ancients, and Humans. That's it, and Maxwell *NEXT QUOTE* Talks about how he thought it was destroyed EONS ago. Now Eons are billions of years, and I don't think the Survivors have been there for eons. So it puts it down to Ancients, OR some other civilization we don't know about. 

Moon StoneMoon Stone (repaired)- "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago.": Destroyed by Ancients? Because he doesn't say "I had thought I destroyed all of these eons ago" He said "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago" Stating HE didn't destroy them someone else did. WHICH IS WEIRD, because he talks about THESE like there is multiple, and multiple were destroyed but one was missed. So why would they destroy them hmm???

Moon stone is a part of "celestial side":

08739c360f7f1f41med.png

and I think that They destroyed almost all moon stones.

#1: There is ANOTHER civilization that we do not know about

I also believe in this but don't forget about hamlet pigs.

1 hour ago, G-Forces said:

I wonder if the moon is like the hallowed in terraria, seemingly benevolent but still spreading like the evil corruption/Crimson

latest?cb=20190616230330latest?cb=20190521173955

11 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

Moon stone is a part of "celestial side":

08739c360f7f1f41med.png

and I think that They destroyed almost all moon stones.

I also believe in this but don't forget about hamlet pigs.

I know the the moon altar thing is part of the celestial side. I'm not saying the Ancients MADE it, I'm saying that they toyed with it. Later destroying it.

By "They" I'm assuming you mean the Moon. Why would They destroy it? What's the point? There was obviously many of them, so why did they destroy them if they were "meant" to be there? I'm using meant very lightly. More of the Moon wanted it to be there.

Also I know Hamlet pigs have been shown to come to the Constant (Pig King, and his minions) But I don't think the Hamlet Pigs messed with moon altar thingy. Again bringing back the eons quote from Maxwell

Maxwell:

Moon StoneMoon Stone (repaired)- "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago.": To be fair..... He could be using the term "eons" lightly as an exaggeration, but Maxwell isn't known to do this.

3 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

By "They" I'm assuming you mean the Moon

No, i mean shadow creatures - archenemies of Moon.

3 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

Also I know Hamlet pigs have been shown to come to the Constant

Hamlet is a part of constant and was created later.

3 hours ago, maciu67 said:

This word is very "elastic",it means only "very long time".

Proof? First off the shadow creatures are the remains of the ancient civilization in ruins. Proven by mining during NM phase and by the metheus painting. Maxwell doesnt exaggerate in any quote. If he said eons he means eons. Also the Moons update was called "Return Of Them" Them or They is the moon.

14 hours ago, Casul said:

Also the Moons update was called "Return Of Them" Them or They is the moon.

But by that extension, doesn't that mean that fish are Them as well? We've still got a lot of RoT content that hasn't been released.

Just now, maciu67 said:

I wrote this in post which was quoted by you.

but also pugna

Ahem:

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Who said that T h e m is/are the shadow creatures?

9 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

@__IvoCZE__ think yourself

Lunar Island, gestalts, moon altar, meteor shower areas, specification of class cutter, enlightenment vs sanity, Wormwood's animation etc...

Yeah, this is big brain time.

Archived