Joy Responses

I am curious about joy responses.

I will preface this with these facts: I only have 6 duplicants so far. Strange enough, there are 3 Sticker Bombers and 3 Super Productive. No Baloon Artists or Sparkle Streakers at this time. I am only in cycle 30. So my sample size is quite small.

I read somewhere else that the trigger to having a chance for a joy response is having +8 morale over requirements.

Catalina is 20/2. Super Productive.

Nikola is 23/6. Super Productive.

Camille 21/6. Sticker Bomber.

Bubbles 20/6. Sticker Bomber.

Ellie 22/7. Sticker Bomber.

Nisbet 21/6. Super Productive.

With the above, I have only ever seen two joy responses. Both on Catalina, Super Productive (Gear icon above head). However I have not seen Catalina get any "Instant finish" bonuses. That being said, all Catalina ever does is cooking. Is it possible that cooking doesn't  get the benefit? Or is the chance really so low that out of two joy responses they simply were unlucky both times?

The wiki and forums seem to be lacking data on the joy responses. =(

I've had mixed results with overjoyed responses, and have a mix of all different overjoyed types among my 16 dupes. My super productive and sparkle streamer dupes seem to trigger about every third cycle, but I have only once seen a balloon artist activate, and have never seen a sticker bomber do their thing.

My dupes consistently stay at about 50-60+ morale, with expectations between 25-30. I've found that when a dupe is smiling super big, that dupe tends to trigger overjoyed within a cycle, though this needs verification.

As far as the usefulness of the overjoyed responses, here's my opinion on them individually:

1. Super Productive: not really all that great. 10% chance to complete a task instantly isn't all that noticeable on a highly skilled dupe, since most things are built or finished super fast, except for certain operate tasks like oil refining, generator tuneups, or grooming.
  2. Sparkle Streaker: super useful. Gives a base +8 to athletics, and +5 to anyone nearby. Since in mid to late game, most wasted time is due to travelling, this is INCREDIBLY powerful.
  3. Balloon Artist: this looks super good, but I've yet to see it consistently. The one time I saw it happen, it gave every dupe who passed by a balloon that imparted a +8 to ALL primary job-related stats, such as ranching and cooking, but also including science, which increases skill gain speed.
  4. Sticker Bomber: least useful. Once you are providing enough morale to trigger overjoyed, you are likely already using decor to boost morale anyways, and the bonus decor is irrelevant. I could be wrong about this, because I haven't seen it triggered

Since the post above, I added A sparkle streaker and baloon artist.

My findings are similar to yours.

The super productive (Nikola and Catalina) seem to trigger FAR more often than anyone else. The only other one that I have seen trigger was the sparkle streaker.

I did notice that super smile thing, but that was on Camille. A sticker bomber. They never triggered as far as I can tell, but they have been grinning for a full cycle a couple times...

Only just got the baloon artist, so will have to watch that one a bit.

The Sparkle Streaker is pretty neat. Though it seems that there is a limit to how much "Sparkle Flatter" they can pass around. While they were triggered, they ended up on a hamster wheel, so I manually sent all the rest of my dupes to their location and only 3-4 of them were able to get the +5 buff.

I agree that the super productive isn't super impressive, but when it works, it's kinda neat. I saw my super productive instant finish building a liquid reservoir that normally takes quite some time. Not gonna happen all the time, but like open doors, a little here and there can go a long way I suppose.

I would have to agree that Sparkle Streaker seems to be the clear winner.

Hmm, I'm over cycle 1500 and observed only Sparkle Streaker and Super Productive triggering around my dupes. My morale is always above 50 and requirements always lower than 30.

There must be something wrong with Balloon Artist and Sticker Bomber... 

i've seen a few sparkle streakers, some super productives and only twice a sticker bomber. never seen a balloon artist.

i have 4 sparkle streakers, 2 super productives, 1 sticker bomber and no balloon artist.

we should be aware that if the sticker bomber places the stickers some random place you dont look often, you probably wont notice it.

4 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Hmm, I'm over cycle 1500 and observed only Sparkle Streaker and Super Productive triggering around my dupes. My morale is always above 50 and requirements always lower than 30.

There must be something wrong with Balloon Artist and Sticker Bomber... 

I have added 3 Balloon artists (16 dupes) and have never seen them do their thing. I also have not seen a single sticker bomber since this came out of preview. I have seen some in preview (just the stickers), but I did not have any balloon dupes back then.

I also think there may be something broken with the balloons and the stickers now. 

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I also think there may be something broken with the balloons and the stickers now. 

Most deffinitely. I have 10 dupes and these 2 specific joy reactions never triggered for me no matter what. My dupes just do recreation stuff half the day and top 50 morale all time.

Sparkle streaker and super productive are triggering as expected just fine.

I started this base in the preview version, didn't wait for the final release... I wonder if it affected my dupes with no possible fix.

6 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I have added 3 Balloon artists (16 dupes) and have never seen them do their thing. I also have not seen a single sticker bomber since this came out of preview. I have seen some in preview (just the stickers), but I did not have any balloon dupes back then.

I haven't seen any balloons yet, but I have seen stickers.  They were placed behind buildings, so they were hard to see (I actually thought it was a graphical glitch at first) and disappeared after a fair few cycles.

Yeah, my base is brand new. Just started it this weekend.

Still no baloons or stickers. I have seen the sticker bombers with the giant grin, but they have done nothing. The baloon artist has done nothing as well. However the sparkle streaker and super productive ones get the response every few cycles.

30 minutes ago, Kumu said:

Yeah, my base is brand new. Just started it this weekend.

Still no baloons or stickers. I have seen the sticker bombers with the giant grin, but they have done nothing. The baloon artist has done nothing as well. However the sparkle streaker and super productive ones get the response every few cycles.

So do we officially have a bug? Should we report it? Tag a dev? This is the peak of this update after all. It's annoying to not have the animations and bonuses after having built the perfect sanctuary for dupes.

35 minutes ago, thewreckedangle said:

hmm this base i'm on is also new, and my sticker bomber(s) have done their thing only twice, but the balloon artists are doing the grinning thing with no balloons ): (am at around cycle 230-250 currently)

image.png.3dbea25393eae0764e96e179693fb7a0.pngimage.png.ae9a11da59c5ca6c89c8d939d4939c56.png

Thank you for posting this as this is the first time I ever saw the stickers despite the fact I have 4 sticker bombers in my colony. They never trigger anything even after dancing, playing, surfing and whatnot all day long.  (around cycle 1600)

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, the latest things were small and ONI is an extreme time-sink. I think quite a few people are just waiting for larger changes before being active again here.

It's just that I got used to people passionately dissecting every deep detail of the game mechanics and it's weird to see a bunch of small but new stuff not being discussed by the players...

I am no engineer and not very good at doing reliable tests. I barely understand how to use debug mode. That's why I rely most completely in the genius of this community and it's the first time I encounter a ghost town here.

The game is pretty active, over 6k people are playing right now. I totally agree that a big package of changes/content would ignite interest of the community again. But there will be these small things left behind to test and most likely fix with a huge mix of the new stuff still to be released.

I suggest to make wheezeworts great again. Good thing or not, it would bring life (and possibly death) to the forums again :D

On 1. 12. 2019 at 11:29 PM, crypticorb said:

Sticker Bomber: least useful. Once you are providing enough morale to trigger overjoyed, you are likely already using decor to boost morale anyways, and the bonus decor is irrelevant. I could be wrong about this, because I haven't seen it triggered

I believe that the dupes put stickers in places with low decor ( factories/refineries or just 0 decor storage rooms )

7 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I believe that the dupes put stickers in places with low decor ( factories/refineries or just 0 decor storage rooms )

Ohhh that may be a thing to start with!!

My base pretty much doesn't have low decor places. I decor bombed even my industrial bricks and battery rooms lol

Any clue on the issue with Balloon Artist?

I have noticed stickers but they are always hard to spot because they are placed in the background layer like temp shift plates or drywall. You might see a tiny bit of one sticking out behind a larger piece of equipment. This may explain the perceived lack of sticker bombing, but even so I find it to be a pretty weak joy response and mm uch weaker than mega athletics or super skills form balloons. 

Archived