Struggling with goals of ruin rushes. WX78

Hello everyone.

I tend to think im pretty knowledgeable about this game and I was recently introduced to a new way to start worlds, that being the ruins rush. I saw the way that was done in ''Webber Stories'' if anyone has seen that, and also the more simple Tonic's/Edgy Ricks ruins rush. Ive done the rush a good few times. But my problem tends to be either I feel I dont have enough when i finish the rush or that I dont know exactly what I should be going for. Or even if I should cheese the Ancient Guardian while im there. With all the ways to do it, and all the different items im not sure what to focus on, Or whats most important base on my goals.

Simply my goal is to create a world and finish all the bosses, taking my time and getting used to the fights. Ive played a ton of solo DS, Shipwrecked and Hamlet but the DST bosses, at least most of them, are something I haven't done yet. So of course, I want to get max upgraded as WX. Some of my runs I look for a Totally Normal Tree in order to get 3 living logs, with which I can make a star callers staff and a club if I use a construction amulet. I dont know if based on my goals, if I really need those items and also it being sometimes very time consuming to not only find the tree, but the extra thulecite needed. Then on to the armor. I tend to try to get at least 2 crowns, but I dont know if I should go for 3 or 4. Or maybe 2 and a suit?

I hope that my problem is becoming more clear. Im not sure what I should be going after, besides the max upgrades and magiluminescence. Mostly considering my goals. i just have a ton of questions about what I should leave the ruins with. For another example.. nightmare fuel. I usually dont end up with a ton when im finished the rush by day 7-9.. Mostly because ive spent it on the items.

Thanks for any responses. And if ive confused anyone please let me know what I can help clarify. Thanks!

I don’t think there’s much to acquire in the ruins for practical uses. I usually just go in and get enough materials to make star callers and the magiluminescence. Those two items are the most useful for boss fighting in my opinion. Star caller is nice to have when fighting Klaus and Toadstool. If I happen to come across green gems, I’ll make a construction amulet for cheaper star callers.

The other items are not as useful and are more situational. If I wanted to dupe scales for some reason, I’ll bring back a deconstruction staff. If I’m really desperate for gems, I’ll probably make the lazy forager. If there’s a bunch of thulecite left over, I’ll make helms and suits since they will otherwise go unused.

7 minutes ago, mistrbushido said:

I don’t think there’s much to acquire in the ruins for practical uses. I usually just go in and get enough materials to make star callers and the magiluminescence. Those two items are the most useful for boss fighting in my opinion. Star caller is nice to have when fighting Klaus and Toadstool. If I happen to come across green gems, I’ll make a construction amulet for cheaper star callers.

The other items are not as useful and are more situational. If I wanted to dupe scales for some reason, I’ll bring back a deconstruction staff. If I’m really desperate for gems, I’ll probably make the lazy forager. If there’s a bunch of thulecite left over, I’ll make helms and suits since they will otherwise go unused.

Thanks for the reply. Do you feel its practical to rush for WX for the full upgrades, and the extra things just being a bonus? What about Wolfgang? Trying to choose a character for my first play through where I am planning on doing boss fights. As far as the helmets and suits, particularly the helmet, would having a few not be helpful in boss fights?

EDIT: Also, the club giving 10% speed helping exploration as well as the Ancient Guardian having a chance to drop the Lazy Explorer which would be really helpful early game. Do you consider these?

28 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Thanks for the reply. Do you feel its practical to rush for WX for the full upgrades, and the extra things just being a bonus? What about Wolfgang? Trying to choose a character for my first play through where I am planning on doing boss fights. As far as the helmets and suits, particularly the helmet, would having a few not be helpful in boss fights?

EDIT: Also, the club giving 10% speed helping exploration as well as the Ancient Guardian having a chance to drop the Lazy Explorer which would be really helpful early game. Do you consider these?

Eh,in my opinion,maybe wx or wolfgang is the best,tho?

I never play WX, so I can’t really say much about upgrading. I also haven’t played Wolfgang in a while, but I think he would be a great choice. The crown or suit would be useful for shadow pieces, but otherwise most other bosses can be dealt with just football helmets and/or log suits unless you want to do those with little healing. If you are okay with spending thulecite, then go for it. I tend to be excessively conservative with using thulecite, but I find it never gets used anyway so I might as well spend it. 

I actually just did a ruins run in ds with a spring start, and was actually really thankful to get a lazy explorer from the guardian. But it’s not a consistent drop so you’ll have to cross your fingers for that.

7 minutes ago, mistrbushido said:

I never play WX, so I can’t really say much about upgrading. I also haven’t played Wolfgang in a while, but I think he would be a great choice. The crown or suit would be useful for shadow pieces, but otherwise most other bosses can be dealt with just football helmets and/or log suits unless you want to do those with little healing. If you are okay with spending thulecite, then go for it. I tend to be excessively conservative with using thulecite, but I find it never gets used anyway so I might as well spend it. 

I actually just did a ruins run in ds with a spring start, and was actually really thankful to get a lazy explorer from the guardian. But it’s not a consistent drop so you’ll have to cross your fingers for that.

You are right,then

So for the purpose of rushing the ruins, Wolfgang would be slightly better at it, but truly WX is the only person who actually benefits from an early attempt because of the obvious gears. If your goal is for boss fighting, Wolfgang would definitely be better, and you don’t even need to rush the ruins as the items you make, such as star callers, are luxury at best as nice as they are. Though you still can if you want. A good combo on Wolfgang is to get an early dragonfly kill for a good chance at some gems, and then going to the ruins to craft and take out ancient guardian early since he is there.

I make a lot of guides for myself that I use whenever I do anything in the game (very poor short-term memory), so I record many things from character guides to situational guides. Here's my guide for Ruins rushing that I made a while back (altered to fit anyone's campaign). Keep in mind, some things I say may be considered subjective so take everything I wrote in them with a grain of salt.

[General Tips]
-Pre-craft a chest for storing valuable Gems at altar, as not for them to be destroyed by earthquakes
-Gather Glowberries from Depths Worms to refuel the Moggles
-Bring healing, any form preferably honey poultices (bring a few blue caps as WX-78 until you get some gears)
-Bring 1 Ham bat and ingredients to make another when the first one gets stale
-Bring a steady supply of food to last a few days at least (irrelevant as WX-78) 
[Optional] -Bring a Piggyback to store ruins items with you as it has enough slots to carry everything you can get
-Come with crafting ingredients in inventory:
*Living Logs
*Rope (for more log suits if needed. minimum of 10)
*Twigs (for pickaxes. minimum of 16-20) 
*Flint (for pickaxes. minimum of 16-20)
*Logs (for additional logsuits 40) 
-Bring Hutch, but only keep him near the entrance to the ruins for a portable chest on 
the way out
-Keep about 20-30 Lightbulbs on you to refuel the Lantern (not hard to get)
-Stock up on frazzled wires to trade in for gold. Expect about 2 stacks of 40 when planning inventory space

[Guide]
(1)  Get enough supplies to make an alchemy engine twice to avoid a trip back just to craft the moggles (optional)
(2)  With the first engine (can be placed anywhere, doesn't matter) make:
- 1  Miner Hat
- 1  Hambat
- 1  Piggyback (again, optional)
- 1  Hammer (2 maybe, but leave 1 on ground)
- 2  Football Helmets ( in emergency)
- 5 Log Suits  
- 1  Pre-crafted Chest
- 2  Extra Electrical-Doodads (for moggles)
(3-1)  Bring down with you: (if going the moggles/log suit route)
- 2  Moleworms (moggles)
- 6  Living Logs
- 2  Meat (for another Hambat)
- 1 Pigskin (for another Hambat)
- 8-10 Blue Caps/Healing
(3-2)  Bring with you: (if going the lantern/football helmet route)
- 6  Living Logs
- 8 Pigskin (7 for football helmets, 1 for another hambat)
- 7 Rope (for football helmets)
- 2 Meat (for hambat
- 1 Additional Hammer
- 8-10 Blue Caps/Healing

(4)  Once in the ruins, gather a large Glowberry and set down the engine in a safe location if pre-crafted
(5)  Craft the moggles and scout ahead with a lantern for locations and more Glowberries
(6)  When clockwork areas are found/heard equip the moggles and fight as normal 
(7)  Once the Hambat deals less than 50 damage, make the new one with the Meat
(8)  Collect resources as normal as you destroy enemies
(9)  Place Chest near completed Pseudoscience altar to store gems and extra Thulecite for future visits

[Crafting] (Optional recipes)
(1) When at the Ancient Psuedoscience Station, create:
- 1 Construction Amulet
(2) Equip Amulet and then make in order:
- 2 Deconstruction Staffs (if wanted)
- 1 Thulecite Club 
- 2 Star-Caller's Staffs (one for moon event)
(3) if enough resources are left over, make:
- 2-4 Thulecite Crowns / Suits
- 1 Magiluminescence
- 1 Thulecite Medallion (if desired)

I play solo and I only rush ruins as WX.  Its the only place you can really get the most of his gear perk.  If I played multi I would probably see more reason to rush ruins since when I come back I'll probably have a base and be ready to do dfly or bee queen, where if I rush ruins solo I'm coming back in time to get ready for winter and I haven't explored the top side map.

I guess if you want to cave even in the first winter ruins might be a better place to start, as your exploration in finding ruins also finds you resources to stay down there, but I typically base top side through first deerclopse and moose goose season and then head to the caves first summer.

Don't worry about what you come back with really... since having cleared the ruins its easy to get back there.  The only major things to bring back is the magiluminescence and star callers staff.  Thulecite crowns are good, but how often do you get hit early game to bother?  These are great for late game hounds, maybe mosslings, but nothing else really needs them in the first year.  I'd probably prefer thulecite club to the crown early because it can help speed up some fights like bee queen, dfly, mosslings, ect, and gives a little movement speed bonus before you get walking canes.

I find the only item you get from a ruins rush that is truly useful to a generic character is the star caller staff. On pubs where I am only going to play 10 days I sometimes do it just for the heck of it, but if I plan on playing longer, then I don't consider doing a ruins rush if I don't find living logs early on. The Klaus fight, when done solo, is just much much less painful with a star caller staff, that's about the only reason, in my opinion, to rush the ruins for anybody other than WX. Of course for WX it is mainly about upgrades.

Armor, clubs, I usually don't even bother with all that stuff. Football helmets, log suits, and either ham bats or dark swords work just fine. And magiluminescence is good for the ancient guardian and the shadow pieces fights for extra speed, but I have no other uses for it. My inventory management isn't good enough to dispense with a backpack on extended trips.

As for characters: to practice DST bosses solo, Wolfgang is your choice, no contest. WX wins out if you have a Wickerbottom that you can pair up with to overcharge you, but not otherwise.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, mistrbushido said:

I don’t think there’s much to acquire in the ruins for practical uses. I usually just go in and get enough materials to make star callers and the magiluminescence.

And a chance to get a lazy explorer/thule club from AG, all of this make the ruins worth it.

In my mind there are always 4 pillars that boost most of your gameplay, and these pillars are connected to eachother. These are (I mention them in no particfular order)

1. Getting to the ruins to get a Magiluminescence, starcaller staff, and armor (as much as you can afford, using greem gems if possible)
  2. Killing Bee queen for the Jellybeans heals (multi purpose), and the crown for the ruins.
  3. Killing Dragonfly for the gems (for the ruins crafting)
  4. Getting to the lunar island for the bushes and Kelp (infinite food/infinite perogi/inifinite sanity through dried Kelp, multi purpose)

You can start the game going in any particular order of those, and each one you do, helps you with the others. Whats best to do first or second also varies heavily depending on the character choice. Maybe a WX would rather to secure gears first, while a Wickerbottom can probably Rush Bee queen faster and secure her healing that way. Or a Wolfgang can probably kill Dfly faster during the first few days, before going to the ruins. Or a WOodie can secure himself an unlimited source of Perogi and dried kelp's sanity, by locating and getting all the lunar island stuff before doing the other tasks.

If I want to ruins rush I usually just go Wortox, find the ruins fast, get a Magi, a helmet and gamble my chances with AG for a Lazy explorer or a starcaller. Then when I go back to the surface. I value more knowing where the ruins are rather than having been there (this is to keep visiting quickly, to craft things). If I did the ruins first I target Dfly second, mostly because I need those gems to do more ruins stuff.
Or you could start with Bee queen, get the heals, then Dfly then ruins. Or with the lunar island, mass stack perogi, then go Dfly, then ruins. Or any particular order really.

I think the point is that you should find a loop that covers all your needs, other than just getting to the ruins as a goal itself, then not really knowing what to do there. If you know what you want to do next, then you can adapt what to get from the ruins, accordingly.

29 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Speaking of ruins... How the heck do I beat the ancient guardian?

Im finding that more often then not the pillar cheese doesn’t work for me (unless I’m somehow doing it wrong) and he’s literally impossible to kite with my ping on public servers.

So there are these graves in the place where he spawns. If theu are colse enough, you can get him stuck on that instead. I take one hit for some reason but no others for the rest of the fight, I do recommend going in with lightbulbs and full lanterns as the fight is pretty lengthy.

6 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Speaking of ruins... How the heck do I beat the ancient guardian?

Im finding that more often then not the pillar cheese doesn’t work for me (unless I’m somehow doing it wrong) and he’s literally impossible to kite with my ping on public servers.

you either pillar cheese, or use gravestones (which is also cheese)

be advised however, ruins generation has a 50/50 chance to put the minotaur's arena at either the center of the labyrinth, or at the side of the labyrinth;

if the minotaur is at the side of the labyrinth, you'll have gravestones to work with. But if the arena is at the center, there might not be any graves at all!

in the case that you do get unlucky, then pillar strat is the only way.

Some amazing responses. Im very grateful.

My plan now, is to get a base set up as Wolfgang, then slowly work on learning each boss. Thinking that with my lack of experience I should probably just get set up and with all the resources I need, then approach bosses I haven't fought before. Then im sure after that play through my knowledge would be at the point where I can rush things and do things much more efficiently. Would you all agree?

Trying to think how to play out the early game with Wolfgang. I have a habit of doing a ''Helicalpuma'' type early game where I focus on clearing the map and starting a large pig farm. Which is nice. Im just not sure if theres a faster and more efficient way to go about it.

Archived