Suggestions on how to go about this situation...

I'm currently playing Wurt, but I keep running into the same problem of running out of pigskin for football helmets. I've tried multiple methods that haven't worked very well (sure there are some "solutions", but they're not what I was hoping for). Are there any tactics you guys have done to farm pigs as monster characters such as Wortox or Webber?  

What have you tried so far? I ask because I've not played Wurt extensively, and I'm curious to how people approach this problem. The first idea that comes to mind is to keep space out pig houses away from each other (or cage each one) so you can individually convert them to werepigs. The other idea is to build a conventional pig farm with bait, and visit only on full moons.

If you mean early game...
You could treat them like Beefalo; bait one out of the group at a time, and take it down away from its brethren. The monster characters are actually well-suited to this; it's much easier to make a pig follow them away.

Specifically with Webber, there's the option of keeping them occupied with a group of spiders while you smack them.

As for later game, Wurt can make very nice pig farms using Merm houses and a little manual direction; they won't eat what the pigs drop, and won't hate you for picking up the drops like Bunnymen would.

8 minutes ago, mistrbushido said:

What have you tried so far? I ask because I've not played Wurt extensively, and I'm curious to how people approach this problem. The first idea that comes to mind is to keep space out pig houses away from each other (or cage each one) so you can individually convert them to werepigs. The other idea is to build a conventional pig farm with bait, and visit only on full moons.

Mostly some smaller stuff, but one idea I had at the time which was the final nail in the coffin of hope for me was (actually a little embarrassed about this tbh) using the Bee Queen. First I would set up the Pig Houses, then I would bring a Pumpkin Lantern (for convenience) or a normal Lantern to the Gigantic Beehive alongside a Bush Hat to hide in, afterwards I would wait until the last bit of night to hammer the Beehive as to (supposedly) start a war with the Queen when the Pigs come out at daybreak. Didn't work, primarily because as it turns out she targets players "immediately" when she spawns; after she hit me a couple times (was playing Wortox btw) I soul-hopped out of range only to find she wasn't attacking any of the pigs save for the Grumble Bees. 

On paper it sounded like a great Idea despite that it failed horrifically:

• She can't eat any of the drops, and (theoretically) would not leave any stragglers
  • She is the only boss that is both available year-round, does not have an AoE attack to destroy the houses, and is "very" unlikely to die in a war
  • Even if she does happen to die, I still come out on top with the rewards 
  • Immediately replants herself after a short duration and becomes passive as a result, allowing me to pick up the goodies
17 minutes ago, maradyne said:

If you mean early game...
You could treat them like Beefalo; bait one out of the group at a time, and take it down away from its brethren. The monster characters are actually well-suited to this; it's much easier to make a pig follow them away.

Specifically with Webber, there's the option of keeping them occupied with a group of spiders while you smack them.

As for later game, Wurt can make very nice pig farms using Merm houses and a little manual direction; they won't eat what the pigs drop, and won't hate you for picking up the drops like Bunnymen would.

I thought about that pretty briefly, I especially love that they regenerate much faster than pigs do but I am uncertain if it would work. If I were to add a Craftsmerm House for every Pig House, would the merms (even with having 2x the health of Pigs) win every time (or at least most of the time)? I could definitely see that working if that's the case.

Yea, though more wouldn't hurt; there's always the chance of badly timed RNG leading to Pigs surviving and eating the drops.
Still, even a couple pairs of houses should bring a steady supply of items, and each round of mob fighting gives you materials that you can use to build more.

i encountered this problem as wurt too, but i did neglect making a proper pigfarm that run. Honestly i think setting up a baited large enough pigfarm that you visit every fullmoon should be enough, as mistrbushido stated above, don't see why it would not work.

Same, encountered this problem yesterday on summer as I lacked the pigskin for fashion and desert goggles so I had to enlist my Oasis merms into a long mission, raiding the pig king village; I was unlucky with the drops (murdered like 20 pigs but only 3 skins dropped) but got enough. I'm now considering building pig houses to a corner of swamp encircled by merm houses so they'd fight and drop pigskin en masse. hanks to all the swamp lakes I gathered more mosquito sacks than I did ever, so pig skin could be gathered the same way i think.

As Wurt, I've personally found myself relying mainly on log suits for my combat needs. I do need pig skin, though, so I set up at least 5 pig houses with walled bait (in a part of my base where I wouldn't pass by often) and go there every full moon with a log suit and dark sword and hold the attack button to kill them all. You take some damage from the werepigs, but you get a good amount of pigskin that can definitely last until the next full moon.

17 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

I'm currently playing Wurt, but I keep running into the same problem of running out of pigskin for football helmets. I've tried multiple methods that haven't worked very well (sure there are some "solutions", but they're not what I was hoping for). Are there any tactics you guys have done to farm pigs as monster characters such as Wortox or Webber?  

feed pigs with monster meat between attacks and kill werepig after 4 pieces and repeat. converts 4 monster meat into 2 big meat and 1 skin

Just shove meat into the pig after it's attack. He'll eat it

Rush pig farm before day 11, if you join a public server after 11 and nowhere near a full moon day just force feed them all those useless monster meat laying around your base, assuming it's in the swamp, otherwise just farm them yourself.

As wortox I place pig houses far away from base and separete, then proceed to force feed monster meat to get my were pig :3

As wurt just place a couple  of merm house next to your pig farm and collect the spoils of war.

Note: merms are so freaking useful, are up 24/7 and easy to enslave (LOL). 

Ive being mem merm houses close to each important biome and plant a couple of berry bushes (quick access to slavery)

Archived