Jump to content

merms not attacking players anymore might not be a bug?


Recommended Posts

Merms no longer seem to attack non-wurt players, but I'm starting to think this is intentional.

".....she has decided to venture outside her cozy swamp to learn more about these odd scale-less beings. Perhaps this will be the start of a new chapter in Survivor-merm relations..."

 

To me this makes me think maybe that is supposed to represent the merms now being cool with the survivors? I'm not 100% sure on this, but maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wurt update's kinda wonky right now, i think it's not supposed to be intentional

local function FindInvaderFn(guy, inst)

    local function test_disguise(test_guy)
        return test_guy.components.inventory and test_guy.components.inventory:EquipHasTag("merm")
    end
    
    local has_merm_disguise = test_disguise(guy)
    local leader = inst.components.follower and inst.components.follower.leader

    return guy:HasTag("character") and not (guy:HasTag("merm") or has_merm_disguise) and 
           not (guy:HasTag("player") and (TheWorld.components.mermkingmanager and TheWorld.components.mermkingmanager:HasKing() ~= nil)) and 
           not (leader and leader:HasTag("player")) and 
           not (guy.components.follower and guy.components.follower.leader and -- Prevents merms from attacking chester
               (guy.components.follower.leader:HasTag("merm") or test_disguise(guy.components.follower.leader)) and not guy:HasTag("pig"))
end

this is the function that decides if merms will attack something or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well here's my attempt at deciphering this

true: guy:HasTag("character")
false: guy:HasTag("merm")
false: has_merm_disguise
true: guy:HasTag("player")
true: TheWorld.components.mermkingmanager
false: TheWorld.components.mermkingmanager:HasKing()
nil: leader
true: leader:HasTag("player")
nil: guy.components.follower
nil: guy.components.follower.leader
false: guy.components.follower.leader:HasTag("merm")
false: test_disguise(guy.components.follower.leader)
false: guy:HasTag("pig")

this leaves us with:

true and not (false or false) and not (true and (true and false ~= nil)) and not (nil and true) and not (nil and nil and (false or false) and not false)

which evaluates to "false" (merm won't attack)

i think the problem is caused by this part:

TheWorld.components.mermkingmanager:HasKing() ~= nil

which imo should be changed into:

TheWorld.components.mermkingmanager:HasKing()

because this function returns a boolean value (either true or false) and "false ~= nil" evaluates into "true"

with this fix, we'd have this:

true and not (false or false) and not (true and (true and false)) and not (nil and true) and not (nil and nil and (false or false) and not false)

which evaluates to "true" (merm will attack)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll decipher it for you easily- Wurt has an ability that lets her craft Merm Disguises for her Non-Merm Friends, to keep them from being attacked by well Uhh Merms.

so to answer your question- Merms not attacking players is yet another bug the update came with, but I’m starting to think that they wanted to ensure everyone got to enjoy the Halloween stuff on/around Halloween so bugs or not.. they launched the update, and I’m totally cool with that..

I don’t mind at all if my game worlds break into oblivion- I just want to earn cool Halloween cosmetics while they are available. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

but I’m starting to think that they wanted to ensure everyone got to enjoy the Halloween stuff on/around Halloween so bugs or not.. they launched the update, and I’m totally cool with that..

This is how I feel about it. I'm fine with pacified merms for a little while and even okay with the Wurt exploit as long as it's temporary. 

I would like to see the aggression return at some point in the future though. It makes the clever disguise useless as of now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the bugs with this update I hope that they DONT fix.. particularly the ones where Merms are randomly nowhere near their swamp homes.

Im also noticing Iron Ingot Rocks in other Biomes besides their most common.. I would love an update where everything in the game can legitimately spawn randomly anywhere throughout the world. 

Please don’t fix this.. instead expand upon and take advantage of it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ll decipher it for you easily- Wurt has an ability that lets her craft Merm Disguises for her Non-Merm Friends, to keep them from being attacked by well Uhh Merms.

so to answer your question- Merms not attacking players is yet another bug the update came with, but I’m starting to think that they wanted to ensure everyone got to enjoy the Halloween stuff on/around Halloween so bugs or not.. they launched the update, and I’m totally cool with that..

I don’t mind at all if my game worlds break into oblivion- I just want to earn cool Halloween cosmetics while they are available. :)

That's not necessarily true. Disguises could be used to promote the king, feed the king, befriend the merms; so you can still have your merm army around without any Wurt on the server for a long period of time

Edit: Anyway, they fixed this. So sad, I thought that we could have merm army right at the base 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ll decipher it for you easily- Wurt has an ability that lets her craft Merm Disguises for her Non-Merm Friends, to keep them from being attacked by well Uhh Merms.

that's not what caused the bug, i don't think you read the rest of my post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would love an update where everything in the game can legitimately spawn randomly anywhere throughout the world

just put everything on "more" or "lots" in worldgen settings. doing that makes worldgen ignore spawning limits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

just put everything on "more" or "lots" in worldgen settings. doing that makes worldgen ignore spawning limits.

I wouldn't recommend "lots" as that commonly creates FAR TOO MUCH of the thing you set to lots. If *EVERYTHING* is set to lots, the game becomes near-unplayable, and DST can quite possibly crash if your PC isn't that great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...