fishes dying don't know why

So. I got fishes in a tank, I sent them there from a breeding stable, however they are dying off. Was 20 a while ago.

In my experience population should stay stable if you don't feed them. So how come they are dying before laying any egg.. its like 5 of them left now

image.thumb.png.f8412ec2151fad278db60914a04290b3.png

1 minute ago, Grimgaw said:

Cramped matters.

It stops reproduction.

3 minutes ago, Ketmol said:

water 32 derees so shouldn't be heat either

Look at oni-db for livable temps of critters.

It's a low chance to spawn gulp fish, but it does happen.

The fish themselves heat/cool the liquid over time.

@BLACKBERREST3 i havn t bothered much with fish earlier for some reason.. but i was so sure (and i think i ve done it myself in some playthrough) that you can feed a small pond from a strable to house a huge number of fish with sdtable population... am I wrong.. or was it just possible many patches ago but not now?

Not sure how to answer. It is still possible to do what you are mentioning.

• Have a breeding tank to minimize algae consumption
  • Have a 1-tile enclosed pacu crowder for each morph with active egg handling to prevent cramping and temperature deaths. You could also keep the crowding tank between 10-25C then you only need 1 crowding tank.

Here's are some links. 1 2 3

Keeping up with pacu production is one thing. Making sure they survive is another.

5 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Could be cramping, could be gulp fish temperature death.

It's definitely cramping. Ketmol has a couple of doors making it a decent sized, but not large enough, room. 

@Ketmol, get rid of the open door to the right of the pond ladder. This will give the pacu the rest of the base worth of space. Pacu need 16 tiles of space (water, air, doesn't matter for cramped) per critter to avoid cramped. And the cramped debuff means no reproduction on any of them. So 20 would need a room 320+ tiles. Solution? Don't have their pond in a room. 

41 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

It's definitely cramping. Ketmol has a couple of doors making it a decent sized, but not large enough, room. 

@Ketmol, get rid of the open door to the right of the pond ladder. This will give the pacu the rest of the base worth of space. Pacu need 16 tiles of space (water, air, doesn't matter for cramped) per critter to avoid cramped. And the cramped debuff means no reproduction on any of them. So 20 would need a room 320+ tiles. Solution? Don't have their pond in a room. 

Better solution, automate removing the eggs and placing them in incubators so that new fish are born quickly and you get more food from your population. A little bit of manpower in this case goes a long way.

This will especially help if you feed one to produce a ton of eggs and generate a pacu explosion. Tame Pacu that aren't fed won't starve in 25 cycles and should lay one egg, so once you have the population you want, just stop feeding them and put them all in the same place.

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Could overcrowding be stopped by making the farm with access to the endless space? ( if it isn't blocked off by say autominer setups or something.. )

Overcrowding is caused by them not having enough swimmable tiles of water. The mechanics for that is different. Here you have to have 8 tiles of water per pacu that they can swim in. You'd need a huge pond in this case.

Just now, Chthonicone said:

Overcrowding is caused by them not having enough swimmable tiles of water. The mechanics for that is different. Here you have to have 8 tiles of water that they can swim in per pacu. You'd need a huge pond in this case.

hm... could said space crowding work for hatches though?

6 hours ago, Ketmol said:

So. I got fishes in a tank, I sent them there from a breeding stable, however they are dying off. Was 20 a while ago.

In my experience population should stay stable if you don't feed them. So how come they are dying before laying any egg.. its like 5 of them left now

image.png.77d922f76b8cd66711019bd9307cf3b9.png

My pool equalized at 7 pacu.  I originally had 10 in here.  When the 7th egg is layed, the pool becomes cramped and the other pacu refuse to lay eggs. 

32 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

image.png.77d922f76b8cd66711019bd9307cf3b9.png

My pool equalized at 7 pacu.  I originally had 10 in here.  When the 7th egg is layed, the pool becomes cramped and the other pacu refuse to lay eggs. 

And if you delete the door, thud making the room bigger, cramped will go away. 

12 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I know.  This was a reply to the OP about why his fishies were dying off.  Its an example of equilibrium due to the cramped mechanic based on room size.

Oops. Sorry. I had to step away mid reply and forgot who/what I was replying to. I meant to use your picture as another example of room size and pond size being counted for 2 different debuffs. 

Thanks for the thread, I was literally just having the same issue last night.  My pacu dump tank was getting so many fish in it, I wanted to see how many, so I closed it off with a door, and put a critter sensor in it to see how many...  I started with 12, and now I had 55 since I started automating.  I liked to keep checking on it to see it grow, but it wasn't anymore...  it was shrinking!  Now it's at 20 something.  Stupid door.  :)

39 minutes ago, CipherLoco said:

Thanks for the thread, I was literally just having the same issue last night.  My pacu dump tank was getting so many fish in it, I wanted to see how many, so I closed it off with a door, and put a critter sensor in it to see how many...  I started with 12, and now I had 55 since I started automating.  I liked to keep checking on it to see it grow, but it wasn't anymore...  it was shrinking!  Now it's at 20 something.  Stupid door.  :)

Yeah. I learned this the hard way too. Put in doors to keep my guys from cutting through my water reservoir and literally killed my entire population of pacu cause I didn't notice until 40 cycles later when I ran out of food. 

1 minute ago, Chthonicone said:

You have automation already, why not remove the offending eggs?

Again: This was an example for the OP to show that overcrowding limits the number of Pacu that will lay eggs.  In this particular case, the pool stabilizes at 7 Pacu.   The OP's tank will stabilize at 5 Pacu.

16 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

You have automation already, why not remove the offending eggs?

Because regardless of the eggs, there is a maximum amount of pacu in any "room". Yes, eggs will cause cramped sooner, but if you have 9 pacu in a 96 sized room, it will be just as cramped with 0 eggs as with 20.

4 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Because regardless of the eggs, there is a maximum amount of pacu in any "room". Yes, eggs will cause cramped sooner, but if you have 9 pacu in a 96 sized room, it will be just as cramped with 0 eggs as with 20.

You are wrong sir. A critter cannot be cramped without an egg in the room. They get the OVERCROWDED debuff instead which leaves reproduction on.

There are 2 debuffs involved:

Cramped: Reproduction -100%

Overcrowded: Happiness -5 (Does not affect reproduction)

3 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

You are wrong sir. A critter cannot be cramped without an egg in the room. They get the OVERCROWDED debuff instead which leaves reproduction on.

There are 2 debuffs involved:

Cramped: Reproduction -100%

Overcrowded: Happiness -5 (Does not affect reproduction)

In my experience eggs and fish count the same for both debuffs. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight instead of building a new version of a refinery plant. 

4 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

In my experience eggs and fish count the same for both debuffs. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight instead of building a new version of a refinery plant. 

I've done tons of ranching, and I've kept a stable population of 40 pacu inside a room before. You just need to remove the eggs and they'll be fine. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

50 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

I've done tons of ranching, and I've kept a stable population of 40 pacu inside a room before. You just need to remove the eggs and they'll be fine. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

I'm planning on it cause if you're right, I can make a couple changes to my water reservoir. 

Archived