Arbor tree yield?

According to various figures about the tree (in the game, on the wiki, etc) one tree if planted properly should produce 5 branches, and each of these branches should yield 300kg lumber. For drop-harvested wild trees the time for this is 22 cycles (18 for branch growth and 4 for the lumber to drop). So each of these trees should produce 300*5/22=68 kg of lumber per cycle. 144 trees should yield 9818kg/cycle, or 16kg/sec, enough to supply 16 distillers continuously. In reality I'm seeing yields that are far lower - I do have the 144 trees, they are planted well, each with 5 branches, but they seem to have a hard time supplying even 12 distillers, let alone 16. In reality their output might be closer to half of what I expect. Any thoughts? 

34 minutes ago, Majestix said:

time it takes for the lumber to get to the distilleries

It's a conveyor rail so supply should be continuous up to 20kg/s, and overproduction should be buffered on the rails / in the forest (and as I only have 12 distillers built, I should have overproduction). Instead, I'm only seeing some of the distillers working. It's almost as if the calculation is off by 50%, I just don't know where or why, because I probably got the basic arithmetic right. And I moved my pips out of there, so it's not them eating the branches. :p The forest is healthy, the temperature is aquatuned, etc.

4 minutes ago, Promethien said:

Its 7 wild trees per distiller with a bit left over. 

How do you figure that? 7 trees, even if immediately dupe-harvested, will only produce 300*5*7/18=583kg lumber per cycle, not quite enough for 1 distiller. And besides, I allotted 9 trees per distiller and have a constant lumber shortage, even though that should allow for drop harvesting: 300*5*9/22=613kg.

I only did a quick test around LU-release. It appeared like trees take more than 4 cycles to drop their wood on their own. I don't have exact numbers, but you might want to have a closer look into that.

1 hour ago, Promethien said:

Its 7 wild trees per distiller with a bit left over. 

1 hour ago, biopon said:

How do you figure that? 7 trees, even if immediately dupe-harvested, will only produce 300*5*7/18=583kg lumber per cycle, not quite enough for 1 distiller. And besides, I allotted 9 trees per distiller and have a constant lumber shortage, even though that should allow for drop harvesting: 300*5*9/22=613kg.

One Ethanol Distiller takes 1000g/s lumber. That's 600Kg/Cycle lumber

1 Tree procudes 1500Kg Lumber per 18 Cycles (If Dupe harvested). That's 83.33 Kg/Cycle lumber
1 Tree procudes 1500Kg Lumber per 22 Cycles (Wild - According to 4 cycle drop off) . That's 68.18 Kg/Cycle lumber

600/83.33 = 7.2 Trees needed per distiller.
600/68.18 = 8.8 Trees needed per distiller

So 7 wouldn't be enough while 9 should be more than enough. Are you sure about the drop off cycle being 4 for wild plants? I think that's the mistake, I believe it differs on each plant. Can you show us a screenshot?

Just now, Enzium said:

Are you sure about the drop off cycle being 4?

I thought I was, since it's the same for every other plant. You, @Grimgaw and @Yalp are probably right to question this. I just went through the forest and SO many of the branches are "harvest ready" it's not even funny. Since they were pip-planted at semi-random intervals, if the dropoff time was indeed 4 cycles, only about 4 out of 22 should be in this state but it's like... half. I'll keep an eye on them and report back with the actual dropoff time.

44 minutes ago, biopon said:

I thought I was, since it's the same for every other plant. You, @Grimgaw and @Yalp are probably right to question this. I just went through the forest and SO many of the branches are "harvest ready" it's not even funny. Since they were pip-planted at semi-random intervals, if the dropoff time was indeed 4 cycles, only about 4 out of 22 should be in this state but it's like... half. I'll keep an eye on them and report back with the actual dropoff time.

I've always had a question about the branching mechanics. It says 5 grow at once, but once those 5 grow, do the other 2 start growing or does it stop there? If they do start growing, does it delay how long it takes for the first 5 branches to drop their lumber naturally?

How many of your trees with harvest ready branches have no other branches growing? Do any have more than 5 branches?

As for the growth cycle, I can confirm that 29 trees manually harvested by dupes will supply 4 distilleries just fine with some extra. That only leaves the natural drop time.

3 minutes ago, biopon said:

Sadly I can't tell you anything about the 6th and 7th branches, the layout I use (taken from the excellent pip-planting guide by @nakomaru) forces 5 on the plants:

image.png.09121df128b24fa1342cbfe3f001f064.png

Hrm... Your branches aren't growing to full all at the same time.

Perhaps the tree starts the countdown for drop once all branches are grown then, and the growth time for each branch is somewhat random?

No, I had 3-tall ladders on both sides of the middle tree before they were even planted. This forces the outside trees to spawn 4 branches outward & up, and the middle tree can only grow one upward. Then I removed the ladders, which allowed the outside trees to spawn 1 branch each inward, and left the middle tree with room for 4 branches.

Not my invention, I got the hint from @nakomaru's guide.

image.png.7247aafc42d3d9926ef271ca9ee39d8f.png

3 minutes ago, Yalp said:

So it's 20 cycles for lumber to fall from the tree on its own.

Thank you so much for checking.

At least this makes the math easy, I just need to plant 144 more trees. (NEVER dupe harvest. :p) 

4 minutes ago, Yalp said:

So it's 20 cycles for lumber to fall from the tree on its own.

Hide contents

5da072571b9d4_OxygennotIncluded-ArborTreenaturallumberdroptime.thumb.png.5f2b2770b000f37439fdde09f50fbade.png

@Chthoniconethe branches just reset after the wood is removed. Ready branches still count towards the max. of 5. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2fa35db1d8ab82a5f820c4a1a2ac86ce.png

image.png.9b2c8f497cc25e017346a3635ae11206.png

Only 4 of your branches dropped. The 5th one is still on the tree. Why is that? (It's the top center branch)

Archived