Don't Starve Together Crossplay

So I was thinking that maybe adding crossplay with pc, ps4 and xbox for Don't Starve Together, the way i think this can be possible is as soon you log on Don't Starve Together on Console it will say you need to link an account like a Don't Starve Together account or klei account in order to play with PC or Xbox players if you are doing this on ps4 

3 minutes ago, JojoSUPA_ARK said:

So I was thinking that maybe adding crossplay with pc, ps4 and xbox for Don't Starve Together, the way i think this can be possible is as soon you log on Don't Starve Together on Console it will say you need to link an account like a Don't Starve Together account or klei account in order to play with PC or Xbox players if you are doing this on ps4 

That would kind of suck since I'm  one of those people on PS4 who does not have their account password anymore so I can't log in to Klei accounts. Maybe a better option having you able to enable it through settings or maybe Get a notification saying. "Your about to play with people from another software" or something like that.

Hopefully saying this doesn’t offend anyone.. but PlayStation likes to live in their own little self exclusive world. They out right refused to allow Minecraft to be cross-platform on Ps4

And what ended up happening was PC, Mobile, Xbox 360, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch can all play together meanwhile.. PS3 & PS4 players could only sit and play with themselves.

it is rather unfortunate.. but if you want to blame anyone, Blame SONY. They need to stop putting their gamers in their own little prison and allow them to get in on the crossplay fun too. :(

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hopefully saying this doesn’t offend anyone.. but PlayStation likes to live in their own little self exclusive world. They out right refused to allow Minecraft to be cross-platform on Ps4

And what ended up happening was PC, Mobile, Xbox 360, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch can all play together meanwhile.. PS3 & PS4 players could only sit and play with themselves.

it is rather unfortunate.. but if you want to blame anyone, Blame SONY. They need to stop putting their gamers in their own little prison and allow them to get in on the crossplay fun too. :(

Playstation actually changed their minds on this very recently. They opened up cross-platform multiplayer to all developers to add crossplay to their games, and a few major ones like Fortnite, Rocket League, and soon to be Minecraft are taking full advantage of the new feature.

So if Klei ever decides to hop on the bandwagon, it'd be totally possible for Xbox, PS4, and PC players to play together. My only worry is with how console handles DST's updates, and mod compatibility on PC.

3 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

My only worry is with how console handles DST's updates, and mod compatibility on PC.

and this is a BIG worry. Developers can't just willy nilly update console games whenever they want, like they can on PC, and the process can be impeditive. So to go through with compatibility PC players would have to suffer, being stalled on updates until it can also be done on consoles.

As for mods, that would be another problem in integrating PC and console servers, but you can soft solve this by only making non-modded worlds cross-compatible.

9 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

Playstation actually changed their minds on this very recently. They opened up cross-platform multiplayer to all developers to add crossplay to their games, and a few major ones like Fortnite, Rocket League, and soon to be Minecraft are taking full advantage of the new feature.

So if Klei ever decides to hop on the bandwagon, it'd be totally possible for Xbox, PS4, and PC players to play together. My only worry is with how console handles DST's updates, and mod compatibility on PC.

That would be hard seeing theres a of the delay between DST PC updates and DST Console updates, they problem need to delay the PC upfate so they can be in sync with console updates, the mods however they can make a new category in the main menu called "Mod Workshop" where you can see the latest mods that have been created and enable them or create mods for the community. I don't know how creating on Console will work so unfortunately that feature is a pc only feature but console still will be available to use the mods

13 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

They also added crossplay across all platforms on Smite very recently and to be fair it only pushes PC updates by around 2 weeks.

It could be done for DST and it would also be beneficial because it allows for more players to play together (Your friend has a console and you don't) and there's nothing that different with controls so there's no balancing that's needed to make it work.

This will never happen. Console versions are always multiple weeks behind the PC version. Remember when console players got the Gorge event half a year later? People would complain more about not being able to play with their friends during that time than not having crossplay at all. Klei simply does not have the ressources to keep all these different versions together.

Same goes for mod compatability, you will have trouble on consoles since Sony is super super strict regarding mods.

i could cry so hard right now, it doesnt have to be the most insane crossplay experience but it would still open up the game to a lot of new players(e.g. my friend and me who just bought the game to play together on pc and ps4) and now probably wont ever touch the game because it just sucks alone . its called dont starve TOGETHER for a reason. please klei

35 minutes ago, FreeZa1 said:

i could cry so hard right now, it doesnt have to be the most insane crossplay experience but it would still open up the game to a lot of new players(e.g. my friend and me who just bought the game to play together on pc and ps4) and now probably wont ever touch the game because it just sucks alone . its called dont starve TOGETHER for a reason. please klei

Literally the only way it would work is if when PC player joins a Crossplay game session is if the PC version was drastically scaled down to match the console version (6 player limit, Much much smaller Map Size, and all mods are completely disabled.)

this is EXACTLY the way Minecraft pulls it off because rather we like to admit it or not- Even with the Upcoming Xbox One Series X (From now on I’m just calling it the XSX) and the PlayStation 5 that Hardware will still be Outdated compared to a PC, which can be stripped apart have different graphics cards applied, upgraded, etc...

Crossplay isn’t impossible- it’s just a Hinderance to PC gamers.

Take SMITE as an example- There is a MASSIVE difference between player Attitudes on PC expecting you to Know everything and follow their lead, and Console- Who probably mostly play casually and don’t want to take orders from someone. But the biggest issue SMITE has is that the PC version moves at a much faster frame rate and Console gamers seem to be reacting too “slow” to keep up with all the action.

Which is exactly why I quickly found the Crossplay button on SMITE and turned it off forever.

there is a REASON games like Battlefield and Call of Duty never attempted to become Cross-Play... And while there are a few games here and there that manages to pull it off quite successfully- we are still very very much still within the early stages of perfecting Crossplay- And games like the above mentioned SMITE are figuring that out the Hard Way through a lot of Trail & Error. 

The TL:DR- I have friends who game on Both the PC and PS4 that I would absolutely LOVE to be able to play a large variety of games with- but problems come involved when either- The Game handles Crossplay poorly, or PC has to sacrifice Content and Downgrade to play with the less powerful game devices.:( 

• Developer
1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Literally the only way it would work is if when PC player joins a Crossplay game session is if the PC version was drastically scaled down to match the console version (6 player limit, Much much smaller Map Size, and all mods are completely disabled.)

Not necessarily. Things like the map size and player limits are there primarily because of the limits of what the console can host (as a server). I'd be surprised if they were problems for consoles acting as clients. We'll see if/when we ever develop crossplay. You're probably right about the mods though, console players probably wouldn't be able to play in modded servers. I'm still hopeful that we can make crossplay a reality some day.

3 hours ago, nome said:

Not necessarily. Things like the map size and player limits are there primarily because of the limits of what the console can host (as a server). I'd be surprised if they were problems for consoles acting as clients. We'll see if/when we ever develop crossplay. You're probably right about the mods though, console players probably wouldn't be able to play in modded servers. I'm still hopeful that we can make crossplay a reality some day.

This is probably the biggest news of 2020 to come from you guys at Klei so far! This made me really happy to read.

I am sad about the Mods not being available on console though, Mostly the highly popular ones like Re-Gorge-Itated and the Forge one, If we can get those two mods added into the game as Actual gameplay content Would be awesome. :) 

• Developer
11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is probably the biggest news of 2020 to come from you guys at Klei so far! This made me really happy to read.

Just to clarify, there's no news here. I've wanted cross-play since before we launched DST. Still lots of technical challenges to overcome before it'll be a possibility, don't get your hopes up. We'll let you know when there's actual news on the crossplay front.

2 hours ago, nome said:

Just to clarify, there's no news here. I've wanted cross-play since before we launched DST. Still lots of technical challenges to overcome before it'll be a possibility, don't get your hopes up. We'll let you know when there's actual news on the crossplay front.

Even the knowledge that this is something the team wants is really nice to hear. Hopefully we figure it out soon.

Archived