rapid ice melter

37 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Trap the ice in a couple doors or send them through solid tile rails to improve the rate of heat transfer by about 200x.

^^^ this. Cheap iron rails, any mass of material, and run your ice through it on a loop.

Just make sure you leave space for the water to find a home :) 

1 hour ago, Bluefoxfire said:

Dumping used refinery coolant into said glaciers can also work in a pinch

conveyors are great for solid heating/cooling but for ice it would be better to not dig and lose half so I agree a hot coolant loop or dumping hot liquid into the unmined ice is best.  those heaters in OP are not going to cut it.

5 hours ago, nakomaru said:

by about 200x.

FYI, based on @wachunga's simplified description of heat transfer, I think you meant 16, not 200. I think I'm to blame for spreading lots of false information (hides in shame). Here are the key lines:

Debris in a Tile: q = klow * dT * 200

Debris on a Tile: q = klow * dT * 12.5

Notice that while ON a tile, the multiplier is 12.5, whereas while IN a tile the multiplier is 200.  As such, you get 16 times (200/12.5=16) more heat transfer while IN a tile than while ON a tile. 

The multiplier is 16, rather than 200. I apologize for propagating incorrect information. 

Also, as a side note, consider this:

Tile to Tile: q = klow * dT * 200.

Basically, putting something on a conveyor rail causes the game to treat it as though it where a build tile, rather than debris.  So whether we build a tile of something, or put the same thing on conveyor rails, it is the same.

Now temp clamping newly build stuff, and the interesting conveyor rails bug, can mess all this up, but that's another story. 

4 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Debris in a Tile: q = klow * dT * 200

Debris on a Tile: q = klow * dT * 12.5

You're right on both the problem and the source.

If we're being thorough, we should calculate those klows which is oxygen vs ice.

Including the factor of 16, the proper ratio should be 2.18/.024*16= 1453x.

Archived