Schedule tweaking

Another noobish question as I try to improve my game.  

While looking at my dupe's behavior during the idle/sleep cycle I noticed that some of them are still eating during the 1st section of their sleep cycle.   And I know that if they were not managing to go bathroom or eat I should definitely increase their Downtime period.  But I am not so clear about how the sleep cycle works.

Is there a negative impact if they don't sleep through the whole 3 blocks of the sleep cycle?  Or is their morale/stress unaffected so long as they at least "some" sleep?

In the earlier versions (that I'm more "fluent" with) there was a stamina mechanic. Maybe it's still there. Basically each second of sleep would make stamina go up, and each second of active time would decrease it. If it fell to 0%, the dupe would involuntarily take a nap.

Also, some dupes are better off working in the night if they're a "night owl", which you can check in their skill tab, I think. Make them work in the night and sleep three blocks in the morning or so. If you've got an early bird get him to work instantly after waking up and make up for the lost free time later.

I'm not quite sure if sleeping less than normal incurs any morale penalties (unless when they sleep on the ground, then definitely yes). But you definitely lose on precious day time if they go to sleep then.

Dupes sleep until they reach 100% stamina even when sleeptime is over already If sleeptime isn´t over they sleep on until it is.

14 minutes ago, zOldBulldog said:

Is there a negative impact if they don't sleep through the whole 3 blocks of the sleep cycle?  Or is their morale/stress unaffected so long as they at least "some" sleep?

. There is no negative impact. But they lose 20% Stress/Cycle while sleeping.

I don't give dupes bathroom breaks, i assume they will go during their normal break time so they can eat or poop whenever suits them, before or after waking up. This usually results in them eating before sleeping but sometimes they need the toilet first and eat in the morning

2 hours ago, bobucles said:

A dupe only needs to reach their bed before the end of their final sleep block. They will sleep into work time until 100% stamina. 

That doesn't work, at least not with the schedules I've been running. I put a couple of blocks of downtime in the morning, to ensure that Dupes have time for recreational activities (dancing, arcades). Dupes WILL wake up for downtime even if they haven't gotten a full night's rest.

Why downtime in the morning? The problem with the standard downtime / bedtime format is that if it takes the Dupe long enough to get home, they use all their downtime for eating and the toilet, and have to sleep before they can boost morale. The thing about morning downtime is that you know they're starting from their bedroom, not some distant mining site.

This obviously only matters if you're running high enough morale requirements to care about dancing and video games.

11 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

I don't give dupes bathroom breaks, i assume they will go during their normal break time so they can eat or poop whenever suits them

The "bathtime" block counts as a work time block if the Dupe doesn't need a shower. They'll go straight to work if they have no hygiene needs. The main reason for a bathtime block is to give them time for showers and +3 morale that is NOT a downtime block.

Bathtime isn't really so much for the toilet, since they almost always do that at the start of downtime, and don't need it by the time bathtime rolls around.

23 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

The "bathtime" block counts as a work time block if the Dupe doesn't need a shower. They'll go straight to work if they have no hygiene needs. The main reason for a bathtime block is to give them time for showers and +3 morale that is NOT a downtime block.

Bathtime isn't really so much for the toilet, since they almost always do that at the start of downtime, and don't need it by the time bathtime rolls around.

Oh really? My main reason for changing it was for the extra morale and when they stand around in the morning they tend to use recreation or shower. My thought was that they can choose whatever it is they like instead of it having to be a shower or toilet.

I believe the priority during Downtime is:Toilet (if bladder) full > Eat (if hungry) > recreation > shower. During Bathtime it’s toilet (if bladder full) > shower > work.

If they start something (like eating) during downtime, they won’t interrupt it for bed if it extends into bedtime. This is why the original poster’s behavior happens; a Dupe gets “eat” as their first Downtime task, they use up the downtime tasks just getting to the dining room, and they’re still eating during one or more Bedtime blocks.

29 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I believe the priority during Downtime is:Toilet (if bladder) full > Eat (if hungry) > recreation > shower. During Bathtime it’s toilet (if bladder full) > shower > work.

If my memory serves me:

Downtime:

1. Toilet usage if bladder >90%
  2. Eating if below 3300Kcal
  3. Recreation

Bathtime:

1. Toilet usage if bladder >40% [This would allow for more than one visit a cycle, if you want the additional polluted water.]
  2. Showering
  3. Work

Its worth noting if you have the basic cot. By this I mean the one that requires no research that you can make from the beginning. Then they don't need 3 blocks of sleep. In fact they don't even need the full 2 blocks. They cap their stamina about 30% into the second block if they get to bed quick enough. 3 blocks is the default because they need 3 for full recovery without any bed. The instant you make a bedroom (2nd thing you do after getting a bathroom established) you can set the schedule to only 2 blocks of bedtime.

Every time I’ve reduced the sleep schedule to 2 blocks, I’ve ended up with some Dupes passing out due to insufficient sleep. If I could find a way to reduce sleep blocks without that, I would.

It’s true that 2 sleep blocks is enough IF the Dupes head for bed at the start of bedtime. That almost never happens, they’re almost always eating or in the toilet when bedtime arrives, mainly because getting back to home took a long time.

1 hour ago, Gus Smedstad said:

It’s true that 2 sleep blocks is enough IF the Dupes head for bed at the start of bedtime. That almost never happens, they’re almost always eating or in the toilet when bedtime arrives, mainly because getting back to home took a long time.

Sounds like you need more downtime. Give dupes more time to do their errands before bed, so they can finish up and be ready for bed. It also gives a nice +1 morale bonus, so the choice between 3 sleep blocks or 2 sleep+1 downtime is pretty clear.

2 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Sounds like you need more downtime. Give dupes more time to do their errands before bed, so they can finish up and be ready for bed. It also gives a nice +1 morale bonus, so the choice between 3 sleep blocks or 2 sleep+1 downtime is pretty clear.

This. Also the comfy bed restores stamina even faster but still not fast enough to get you down to 1 block of bedtime. 

Archived