Wormwood should gain health or sanity in the rain

1 minute ago, Bee2017 said:

If Woodwood is a plant why does he not get sanity or health in the rain?

Every character theoretically needs water (except WX-78), shouldn't everyone gain health & sanity if it's raining? Also some kind of plants don't grow if they're fully in water, and if you water them way too often, they'll turn yellow.

5 minutes ago, Bee2017 said:

Also I think Wormwood should be able to control the Tree Guards.

Treeguards are supposed to defend their forest and not to follow just a little plant.

19 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Every character theoretically needs water (except WX-78), shouldn't everyone gain health & sanity if it's raining? Also some kind of plants don't grow if they're fully in water, and if you water them way too often, they'll turn yellow.

Treeguards are supposed to defend their forest and not to follow just a little plant.

Fully in water =/= exposed to rain.

Spiders are also supposed to defend their egg and not follow just....a random other spider.(Webber)

I could go on with the realism and common sense arguments. Realistic or not I'd like it if Wormwood had more advantages, right now he's far too difficult to play and is the hardest character yet, despite Klei obviously not intending it as such. I think the suggested ones are alright. Though if Wormwood could get his bloom transformation when it rains and not just when it's Spring would be pretty great -- unlike Spring, rain can be manipulated and forced onto the world by the player (telelocator staves/TEIN book), so you don't have to play 36 days to benefit from the bloom transformation.

10 minutes ago, Sketched_Philo said:

Fully in water =/= exposed to rain.

If it's raining 24/7, your lawn will change from green to yellow.

6 minutes ago, Sketched_Philo said:

Spiders are also supposed to defend their egg and not follow just....a random other spider.(Webber)

Unlike Treeguards, Spiders are defending each other but not their "egg" (unless they're inside). And unlike Webber, Wormwood can hire Pigs to fight for him. Webber has a reason to be able to hire spiders.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

wtf? Should I remind you this game doesnt use relativistic calculations to simulate our universe? 

I think the perfect compromise would be to have wormwood regen health and sanity when in rain, up to 75 wetness, where he will start losing health and becoming slower as he gets too much water. Also while wormwood shouldn't be able to have treeguards as followers, wr can have him not take the sanity loss for being around them and having the treeguards turn a blind eye to you chopping trees.

The sanity/hp gain from rain makes sense - game-mechanics wise - as compared to Wormwood's Spring speed/hunger amp-up spec. Obviously not giving too much hp or sanity, but still should be present as Wormwood's a plant - same line of thought as Werebeaver being (should be) able to swim.

Treeguard friendliness on the other hand ..not so much - they are mini-bosses as opposed to regular mobs like pigs and spiders (Spider Queen is considered a mini-boss as well and Webber isn't able to befriend her).

Truth of the issue is, no matter what some "try-hards" or fans of those characters say, Wormwood and Warly are hardly played, on par with (the absence of) Wes. Kinda sad if one looks at Winona or Willow reworks, and their (higher) presence in them pubs. And that's because early game Wormwood/Warly are annoying for experienced players maintenance-wise and hard for newbie-noob-etc players. Portal-swap also doesn't help with this problem, making the change of characters a really easy feat, repercussion-free, in turn giving it a cheap feeling overall.

All-in-all I would say Wormwood and Warly need a bit more love from devs so that a bigger chunk of community would look twice at them before browsing character list further down.

PS: I understand the over-wet/wetness analogy for plants, but same could be said about characters overfeeding that isn't really a mechanic/down-side (and shouldn't be imo), thus not really a valid argument in this case.

13 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I understand the over-wet/wetness analogy for plants, but same could be said about characters overfeeding that isn't really a mechanic/down-side (and shouldn't be imo), thus not really a valid argument in this case.

Well you see, the difference is that while having someone eat too much wouldn't kill them very fast, underwatering or overwatering a plant will kill them, so it is a valid arguement.

2 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

Well you see, the difference is that while having someone eat too much wouldn't kill them very fast, underwatering or overwatering a plant will kill them, so it is a valid arguement.

Hmmm. If we're talking irl, can you eat 20x Perogies while running around beating cows with a club - consequence-free? Not at least getting ill, not even an indigestion and throwing up from all that gulping en-mass and jiggling your by-now oversized tummy?! While under/over-watering plants irl does take, depending on specie, a pretty hefty amount of time till they start withering - as plants in general are more robust and do take longer in manifesting symptoms than animals by their very nature of slow plant metabolisms. Also wasn't talking necessary about straight-up death.

Anyway, I believe irl strict comparisons like this one are kinda superfluous in case of DST, a mostly ironical/satirical cartoon game.

He's kinda good already tbh. There are plenty of ways to gain hp that are not from poop already. Salve? Tent? Insanity Pie from Warly? Tbh Wormwood is a very close to balanced character and giving him much else might unbalance him. If you are having trouble with his health, seriously consider just getting a tent. It solves all your health problems aside from mid-fight healing.

Some plants can drown if they get too much water. Let's try this example:

Wormwood gets health/sanity when wet, but if his wetness meter is maxed out or reaches a certain threshold his buffs become debuffs.

If he's too wet he'll suffer like other characters do, but maintaining wetness will give him a small health/sanity boost.

It'd be nice + fitting for Wormwood to get something minor for his stats from being in the rain or having light to medium wetness, though I don't think it's a buff he mechanically needs. But it'd be cute. (It'd be interesting if it made him bloom faster during early spring.) Heavy wetness seems like it should have the same effect on Wormwood as other characters, because there's definitely a point where giving a plant more water ceases to be helpful.

The treeguard thing, however, seems a bit pointless; anyone can pacify a treeguard by spamming pinecones, and Wormwood is already in a nearly perfect position to make use of this because he gains sanity in the process, doesn't need to kill it for the living logs when he can make as many as it drops in a day, and shouldn't be chopping down a lot of trees around the base under normal circumstances anyhow so he's the character least likely to anger the treeguard afterwards. Lots of hostile mobs either knock over trees with their attacks or can target any mob in the vicinity and thusly aggro the treeguard all on their own. Even pigs will attack treeguards on sight, although I'm not sure if bunnymen do. What would it even change if you could deliberately sic treeguards on other mobs, instead of getting the treeguard's attention and waiting for it to lumber over to the other mob and get pulled into the fight?

I'd rather see Wormwood be made immune to treeguards' insanity aura, like Webber is with spider queens.

I don't think that Wormwood needs any more buffs. Adding health regen in the rain, pretty much completely removes his main disadvantage. As it stands, he's a slightly harder to play character with a massive reward of completely removing any food shortages at all with his farms, along with constant living log production. The fact that you have to be a little more careful in combat, and carry around a LGA or some healing salves is an interesting downside, and shouldn't just be completely gutted by random weather events, it would make it way too easy. 

As someone who used to exclusively play Wilson in both singleplayer and multiplayer DS, Wormwood and Warly are now my two favourite characters - they have actual disadvantages that cause you to play the game differently rather than completely ignorable ones like wolfgang or wicker. And thus due to these, their perks are massively helpful to themselves and the team. 

Where's actually the need of giving Wormwood health regeneration or sanity regeneration while he's wet?

If the health regeneration is too high it will break Wormwood's healing penalty and there won't be any reason to use a tent or manure to heal yourself as Wormwood.

A low health regeneration is almost same as no health regeneration.

The ability to trigger his speed boost with wetness at the cost of +100% hunger might be fine because the season in Wormwood's environment where he's used to grow (DS: Hamlet, Lush season) does not contain any rain at all. But it will also make players upset because most players dislike it if they see a Wolfgang consuming food just to keep his +25% speed boost.

And his sanity loss can be negated easily by planting seeds, which will grow faster thanks to the rain.

Archived