Late game planets not worth it?

I've recently found a hydrogen helium planet at the 100k mark.  Initially I'm thinking this is REALLY cool, I've got a pretty far away destination of renewable Liquid Hydrogen, it's got a 50/50 split, but it currently takes more liquid H2 to get there than I would get by bringing it back.  I was hoping it'd be a cool source of convenient fuel like oily planets.

Oily planets: @ 10k

630kg of petrol to destination, 2000kg of petrol after boiling.

H2 Planet @ 100k

1896kg of lh2, 1000kg lh2 1000kg H2O -> 112kg LH2 for a total loss of 784kg of lh2.

Am I just unlucky with distance of the planet spawn?

Helium giants are absolutely amazing because their only solid stuff is niobium. Unless you explore and find abyssalite, which will ruin the planet by polluting the drops.

Every "ring" of planets at given distance can only have specific planet types. Conversely, every planet has only a set number of spots it can spawn in. Hydrogen planet has two: 100k and 160k. Meaning it can never be profitable to mine fuel from it, unless you manage to collect enough launch exhaust to make up the loss.

I don't think the planet drops are designed or calculated. They look very "just so" and most planets are clearly pointless to mine from.

All far planets have to give you something very good at high rates to be worth it.  Sadly, not many do.

Also, I am the only one super disappointed that a He giant provides H, not He?  That was one resource that has been around forever in sandbox (or was it debug only?) that I thought would be present in release, but isn't.  Actually I think propane is that way too, unless there's a way to get that?

42 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

I don't think the planet drops are designed or calculated. They look very "just so" and most planets are clearly pointless to mine from.

Absolutely agree, it looks like the resources obtainable from planets weren't really thought out and what we have are something like "eh this sounds reasonable"... It really isn't. Going to 100k for algae or water while expending 1000kg or more on LH2/LOX doesn't sound balanced or cost–benefit sensible.

9 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Every "ring" of planets at given distance can only have specific planet types. Conversely, every planet has only a set number of spots it can spawn in.

Seems the "glimmering planet only spawns at 130k and 160k ...

Is the "refill" of resource deposits for space destinations still distance based ?

9 hours ago, Yunru said:

You gotta work the shaft. 

The longer the shaft the bigger the release. 

With a long enough shaft you can get out more than you put into it. 

With steam at least. 

That sounds more than slightly dirty ;)

Archived