The Inifinihatch Farm! (actually just 800)

Special thanks to @Saturnus.

This design will accommodate up to 800 hatches comfortably, be they tamed or wild. The hatches will replenish themselves at a 1:1 ratio too, so the hatch count will never drop (unless you have over 800, or you end up with a hatch in their you can't feed).

Each hatch will burn 476 kcal per cycle.

The clocks are set to 5% durations, and activate 10% apart from each other (in this case 0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%).

The automation wire feeding into the right hand side door isn't needed, but that door does need to be permanently open.

The conveyor loader is set to accept egg shell, meat, and coal. The dispenser is set to receive whatever food you send their way.

The pool of water is 500kg. This is important as it's not enough to drown hatches, but is enough to ensure hatches never enter it, thus staying in their door.

image.thumb.png.52a52fe044d81d3d20be53eb14e683de.png

image.thumb.png.aca1cb2230ec5b8aff7526a728ae6be2.png

image.thumb.png.eaa30a28c3306049df054a1e923778e0.png

You dont need the dispenser, they only eat what they want. Which is 140kcal or so, you can just ship in everything. So they will eat about 28kg per cycle. A single rail can only supply 420 or so hatches. 

Forthermore, a hatch when turning from hatchling starts I think with 7000kcal. Which in glum state lasts for 50 cycles, which is basically enough to make an egg. So even feeding them is not really needed. 

Voles are just better at this. 

1 minute ago, Radam said:

You dont need the dispenser, they only eat what they want. Which is 140kcal or so, you can just ship in everything. So they will eat about 28kg per cycle. A single rail can only supply 420 or so hatches. 

Forthermore, a hatch when turning from hatchling starts I think with 7000kcal. Which in glum state lasts for 50 cycles, which is basically enough to make an egg. So even feeding them is not really needed. 

Voles are just better at this. 

In inverse order:

Voles would be, but are much later game.

The hatches are also cramped for 40% of the time, so it takes 84 cycles to lay an egg.

You need the dispenser because they never leave the door.

800 hatches, so thats about 30 dupes worth of food?

Why wouldnt this work: 
Ship eggs and food in. 5% of the time the lower door opens hatches eat, whatever is piled on. Even if some hatch from eggs dropped onto the door, they fall down after it opens. Pneumatic is just on auto. No dupe access allowed. I hope items dont disappear on save reload. 

20190731194520_1.jpg

Right, seems hatches prefer eating meat.

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

Update; the true maximum limit is 100x the number of times the door opens a cycle, thus we could hold 1000 hatches if we had ten clocks active for 4% instead. 

You don't need clocks. The minimum amount of time the door needs to be open for a hatch to jump out of the pool is 8 seconds. So we just need an oscillator to do 8 seconds on, and 12 seconds off for a maximum of 3000 hatches. Like this:

image.thumb.png.cff7524f9b13cee7639ad42c4a27fb53.png

Here's my complete miniature version. My aim here was to avoid the sweeper seeing the hatch trap and ore drop location directly, and thereby endlessly cycling. This set up has to loaders but the top one can be omitted. I'd advice to just set the oscillator to what you actually need, and then just adjust the settings as more hatches are stored. A 48s open/72s closed setting will still hold 500 hatches and should be plenty for most people. Especially given that one ore chute can only keep up feeding 428 hatches.

image.thumb.png.d4ce1d5502c6dad381c38e01377c404e.png

image.thumb.png.61ae67b5a7dde732572d712fa6ec87bd.png

image.thumb.png.22a34da06f4598ccbe3e1e70e2c377aa.png

Note: hatches inside a door, open or close, are regarded as being in a separate room and does not "see" the eggs in the pool.

EDIT: Changes oscillator settings to reflect closed time must be larger than open time.

8 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You don't need clocks.

Mostly it's keeping the door closed enough to lay eggs, and open enough to lay eggs. 

It needs to be closed at least 53% of the time to reach 100% fertility, and I'm not sure how long they take to lay. 

The calories needed also varies with the amount of time open. While open they only use 140kcal/cycle, but while closed they use a full 700kcal/cycle.

So at maximum open time, they'd only consume 445.2kcal/cycle.

13 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Mostly it's keeping the door closed enough to lay eggs, and open enough to lay eggs. 

It needs to be closed at least 53% of the time to reach 100% fertility, and I'm not sure how long they take to lay. 

Then have it open 8s and closed 12s. Problem solved. It's much easier with an oscillator. Still holds 3000 hatches.

But as I write in the post: adjust the settings to fit your own needs!!!

6 hours ago, Yunru said:

The calories needed also varies with the amount of time open. While open they only use 140kcal/cycle, but while closed they use a full 700kcal/cycle.

So at maximum open time, they'd only consume 445.2kcal/cycle.

Tame hatches get glum. -1 happiness -80% metabolism. Borrowed status does not increase it. 

I left 10 wild ones in my setup overnight. Theres still 10 hatches there after 250 cycles. And I had it set up to only open 2 % of the time, No food.  But then again,wild ones dont get hungry. 

The only question that remains is, "How much heat can 500 hatches absorb and delete through the 100+cycle egg//baby/adult/meat life cycle?" (@Lilalaunekuh ) Then we can not only feed our dupes with endless meat, but keep our farms nicely cooled to increase the food quality. :) 

I'm guessing it would not be too hard to keep this thing attached to some heat source that only provides extra heat if the temp drops below say 65 (and never goes above 70).  Each time eggs are laid, babies are born, or teens grow up, the temp will drop, only to be raised again by attaching this to a heat source.  Solve all our problems at once (oh wait, we don't get power from this..., gonna have to keep on working @Yunru :) ).

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

The only question that remains is, "How much heat can 500 hatches absorb and delete through the 100+cycle egg//baby/adult/meat life cycle?" (@Lilalaunekuh ) Then we can not only feed our dupes with endless meat, but keep our farms nicely cooled to increase the food quality. :) 

I'm guessing it would not be too hard to keep this thing attached to some heat source that only provides extra heat if the temp drops below say 65 (and never goes above 70).  Each time eggs are laid, babies are born, or teens grow up, the temp will drop, only to be raised again by attaching this to a heat source.  Solve all our problems at once (oh wait, we don't get power from this..., gonna have to keep on working @Yunru :) ).

It's not only the body temperature of the hatches themselves. Remember that the temperature of the materials we convert into coal is also reset to the body temperature of them as well. That's up to 12.000kg of material reset every single cycle, ie. the maximum a single conveyor rail can transport.

Oddly enough that conversion rate is enough to keep 20 coal generators constantly running, or 12000W continuous power directly. However, it will only be sustainable to feed that with a gigantic regolith melter set up that can run 20-30 steam turbines at or near peak efficiency.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:53 PM, Saturnus said:

You don't need clocks. The minimum amount of time the door needs to be open for a hatch to jump out of the pool is 8 seconds. So we just need an oscillator to do 8 seconds on, and 12 seconds off for a maximum of 3000 hatches. Like this:

image.thumb.png.cff7524f9b13cee7639ad42c4a27fb53.png

Here's my complete miniature version. My aim here was to avoid the sweeper seeing the hatch trap and ore drop location directly, and thereby endlessly cycling. This set up has to loaders but the top one can be omitted. I'd advice to just set the oscillator to what you actually need, and then just adjust the settings as more hatches are stored. A 48s open/72s closed setting will still hold 500 hatches and should be plenty for most people. Especially given that one ore chute can only keep up feeding 428 hatches.

image.thumb.png.d4ce1d5502c6dad381c38e01377c404e.png

image.thumb.png.61ae67b5a7dde732572d712fa6ec87bd.png

image.thumb.png.22a34da06f4598ccbe3e1e70e2c377aa.png

Note: hatches inside a door, open or close, are regarded as being in a separate room and does not "see" the eggs in the pool.

EDIT: Changes oscillator settings to reflect closed time must be larger than open time.

How do you deal with the meat from dead hatches? My sweeper can't reach.

29 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

How do you deal with the meat from dead hatches? My sweeper can't reach.

Your sweeper arm should be able to reach the debris on the chute.  Did you build the EXACT same picture as above, or did you add a little more space?  The meat should fall to the debri area, and then it is accessible. 

42 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Your sweeper arm should be able to reach the debris on the chute.  Did you build the EXACT same picture as above, or did you add a little more space?  The meat should fall to the debri area, and then it is accessible. 

image.thumb.png.3a675448b9ff21504aa4f498552542d5.png 

The meat gets pushed to above the mech door, but the sweeper cant reach it.

17 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I was wrong about the loader at the top,  my bad. I did just build it, and I have no issues with getting stuff from below.  Not sure why it's not working. 

5d4cb95d6a274_Screenshotfrom2019-08-0818-06-33.png.ff6b7da904497e9b567f1e5681efb1ac.png

It's cuz the door pushes the meat up and not to the right like the eggs.

EDIT: I guess I should go back to the ol' drown hatches method. :D

On 09/08/2019 at 1:53 AM, bleeter6 said:

image.thumb.png.3a675448b9ff21504aa4f498552542d5.png 

The meat gets pushed to above the mech door, but the sweeper cant reach it.

You're right. It is an unfortunate change with the Launch Upgrade that meat for some reason gets pushed up instead of to the side in the previous version. However, it's an incredibly easy problem to fix. You just replace the pneumatic door with a mechanical one, and add a little delay mechanics. Like this:

image.thumb.png.e2fac24cde54a849a1e16a8661f981eb.png

Now meat gets pushed up all the way to the top. The minerals dropped by the dispenser is now embedded in the door until it opens where upon it drops. Note that minerals, eggs and egg shells still gets pushed to the side as before the Launch Upgrade. It's only meat that now gets pushed to the very top of the two doors. And hatches still can't escape the lower door.

The automation is quite simple. The lower filter gate in the oscillator is the trap time, ie. the amount of time the hatches are buried. The top filter gate in the oscillator is the open time. Set this to 12s. The buffer and filter gates in the delay timer is set to 2s each. The doors should be powered (they only use power for 1s while opening and closing so it isn't really a concern).

So if you want to trap 1000 hatches then it must make 10 opening and closing cycles each day, so then the trap filter gate is set to 600/10-12=48s. If you just want to trap 400 hatches to start with then it only need to cycle 4 times per day, so that's a trap filter gate setting of 138s.

Since trap time must be larger than open time (by just one second minimum) the maximum number of hatches you're able to trap is 2400 which is meat enough for 96 dupes on BBQ. Plenty for most people.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, Saturnus said:

You're right. It is an unfortunate change with the Launch Upgrade that meat for some reason gets pushed up instead of to the side in the previous version. However, it's an incredibly easy problem to fix. You just replace the pneumatic door with a mechanical one, and add a little delay mechanics. Like this:

image.thumb.png.e2fac24cde54a849a1e16a8661f981eb.png

Now meat gets pushed up all the way to the top. The minerals dropped by the dispenser is now embedded in the door until it opens where upon it drops. Note that minerals, eggs and egg shells still gets pushed to the side as before the Launch Upgrade. It's only meat that now gets pushed to the very top of the two doors. And hatches still can't escape the lower door.

The automation is quite simple. The lower filter gate in the oscillator is the trap time, ie. the amount of time the hatches are buried. The top filter gate in the oscillator is the open time. Set this to 12s. The buffer and filter gates in the delay timer is set to 2s each. The doors should be powered (they only use power for 1s while opening and closing so it isn't really a concern).

So if you want to trap 1000 hatches then it must make 10 opening and closing cycles each day, so then the trap filter gate is set to 600/10-12=48s. If you just want to trap 400 hatches to start with then it only need to cycle 4 times per day, so that's a trap filter gate setting of 138s.

Since trap time must be larger than open time (by just one second minimum) the maximum number of hatches you're able to trap is 2400 which is meat enough for 96 dupes on BBQ. Plenty for most people.

I kindda get it now

Archived