Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Alfons100

Rebalance the Athletics stat

Recommended Posts

Alfons100    332

Athletics is a very valuable stat that speeds up many things, even when you have unlocked Transit Tubes. It makes construction faster, it makes mining faster, it speeds up hauling such as supply and storing. Having high athletics will technically make one dupe act as 3 ones built into one because of how fast they can run back and forth.

The problem I have with the athletics stat is that new duplicants in a lategame colony are always agonizingly slow compared to a duplicant that has lived for a good few cycles. There's no way to speed the process up other than letting them run. It does that inviting new duplicants into a colony is a real hassle. And it's a dull level-up too since, well, every duplicant walks for a living, which does that they'll level it up regardless of what they do. It's just a matter of time- lets change that:

What I mean is that athletics should be rebalanced. Lets start by increasing the speed of any Duplicant, lets say by 15 Athletics or so, I know, a hectic change. But in turn do that it doesn't level up naturally, instead you can increase it by learnable Skills. The Skill-tree has three tiers that increase the athletics stat by 1, 2 and 2 points each, which allows you to have the speed of a dupe with 20 Athletics total, much like an experienced dupe right now.

This does that levelling up Athletics for those who need it is more of an investment rather than something that happens naturally, it speeds up the early game exploration, and does that the speed difference between a maxed out dupe and a new dupe isn't as severe, which allows you to invite more Duplicants into your colony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobucles    335

The simplest way to make athletics less dominant is to make it less powerful. A 5% speed change per skill level will make +10 athletics worth 50% speed. It's still incredibly powerful because duplicant job priorities don't care about distance so they run all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
natanstarke    183

Hell no do not nerf athletics dupes are already always on long commutes and especially for slower pcs lile mine i need faster dupes. The better way would be buffing the clearly bad stats like cousine, building, crrativity, doctoring, tinkering. " tinkering is not that bad".

For all stats just make them do more per point.

Believe me nerfing athletics is not the way to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ambaire    333
3 hours ago, Alfons100 said:

But in turn do that it doesn't level up naturally

Uh, no. Every other skill can level up naturally, so why do you think dupes couldn't learn how to move more quickly over time?

 

Instead of that, why not introduce exercise equipment. Dupes using the equipment can level certain stats more quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
camelot    166

Agree with Ambaire, shoudn't do it the hard way. Just add a machine that could increase dupes athletics 100% faster. So you could let the new dupes run that machine for 50 cycles straight to keep up with other ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alfons100    332
1 hour ago, natanstarke said:

Hell no do not nerf athletics dupes are already always on long commutes and especially for slower pcs lile mine i need faster dupes. The better way would be buffing the clearly bad stats like cousine, building, crrativity, doctoring, tinkering. " tinkering is not that bad".

For all stats just make them do more per point.

Believe me nerfing athletics is not the way to go.

 

You don't understand. I specifially stated that instead of directly nerfing Athletics, we build in some Athletics into all Dupes, and let you gain some extra via Skill learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobucles    335

What about instead of buffing run speed, improve the AI so allow dupes deal with the tasks closest to them and aren't running 50 marathons every cycle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alfons100    332
46 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

Uh, no. Every other skill can level up naturally, so why do you think dupes couldn't learn how to move more quickly over time?

 

Instead of that, why not introduce exercise equipment. Dupes using the equipment can level certain stats more quickly.

That could work too, which I guess adds a countermeasure for just spamming dupes when you have a lot of food, but I still find it odd that you cannot gain any Athletics via Skill learning too.

Actually, why not add a secondary purpose to Manual Generators where you can place min and max athletic skill requirements to operate, to fill in the niche of exercise equipment. The Manual Generator Athletics learning should be buffed a good deal to not require literally a 100 cycles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sasza22    2,140

Buffing or nerfing athletics doesn`t fix the issue. To do this properly with just numbers they would have to buff the base speed and nerf the growth. Just buff the base movement speed at 0 athletics by about 70% and nerf the growth to 5% per point. This brings new dupes closer to experienced ones in terms of move speed.

Alternatively we could add some more atheltic bonuses to the skill tree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
badgamer123    101
17 hours ago, bobucles said:

The simplest way to make athletics less dominant is to make it less powerful. A 5% speed change per skill level will make +10 athletics worth 50% speed. It's still incredibly powerful because duplicant job priorities don't care about distance so they run all over the place.

agree,plz consider ppl have slow PC,slower dupe mean more dupe needed>slower FPS.
I could only get to 22-23FPS late game(with many gimmick to improve FPS,liek 1 way access ,1 type of air,less open space ,reduce pathing etc )
that was 13 dupe....slower dupe mean i need 2-3 extra dupe....i think my FPS will drop to 15-16..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
metallichydra    2,096
4 hours ago, badgamer123 said:

agree,plz consider ppl have slow PC,slower dupe mean more dupe needed>slower FPS.
I could only get to 22-23FPS late game(with many gimmick to improve FPS,liek 1 way access ,1 type of air,less open space ,reduce pathing etc )
that was 13 dupe....slower dupe mean i need 2-3 extra dupe....i think my FPS will drop to 15-16..

ever since i got a new computer, i dont experience lag, which is kinda sad, because i forget it exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Machenoid    96

Athletics shouldn't increase dupe speed significantly at all (10% to 20% from having a specific job skill level) instead, Athletics should impact the proportion of movement speed penalties or bonuses that moving on terrain offers them.

Metal floor tiles provide a +50% run speed bonus. If a dupe has 0 athletics they should get half the speed bonus. Meanwhile if they have 20 athletics they get the full +50% speed the metal tile provides. This way athletics is only as powerful as your base design allows it to be and gives incentive to improve infrastructure outside the base; build your base like a running track and your runners will sprint as well as they are able.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites