Magma safe pump materials?

Fairly easy in ONI as well. Here's an example

image.thumb.png.e50fa2f485f1a7273ca0cdd323f41c3f.png

This uses the fact that the detection range and pump range of any pump is different. The detection range being a 2x2 square. Here including the petroleum blob. And the pump range being a 5 tile cross. Here including the magma tile under the pump but not the petroleum blob.

Then it uses a 1g or 2g Chlorine or CO2 gas insulator and a hydrogen gas cooler for the pump (otherwise it over time overheats if in a vacuum.

And then you just need a means of keeping it cool enough for the pump to work which requires very little effort. Here done by a polluted water tank.

And then finally, in this specific case it uses the fact that a minipump pumps exactly 10% of a liquid pipe maximum flow rate and therefore cannot break due to phase change. But this last point can be avoided in other ways.

Tiles and pipes used here are standard ceramic. No need for insulation (the material).

2 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

Is that actually intended behavior, or a weird bug they never fixed? Where is that explained ingame?

I think it would be weird, and fairly unlikely, that the pump range and detection range are different by accident. As I see it must be intentional behaviour. At least for the regular pumps. And then never got looked at when they made minipumps.

14 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I think it would be weird, and fairly unlikely, that the pump range and detection range are different by accident. As I see it must be intentional behaviour. At least for the regular pumps. And then never got looked at when they made minipumps.

Someone should bug report it and see what the devs say.

Edit: bug reported, and tested in the latest launch preview.. still works like that.

5 hours ago, Ambaire said:

Is that actually intended behavior,

FYI, geysers, vents, volcanoes, have the same behavior. Their detection range and output range don't match. You can use/abuse/exploit/manipulate geysers in similar ways.Every natural structure like this lies above 4 tiles of neutronium (unless map gen ruins it). The central tile for these natural structures (center of cross) is 2nd row up, 2nd column from left. You can uncover every other tile and the structure won't emit anything. Remove this tile when you are ready to use the vent. And if you are worried about overpressure or other things, you can do some wonky things in cross shaped region centered at this spot. I think it is intentional, and consistent with the rest of the structures in the game that emit gas/liquid. 

46 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Second row from the bottom up (neutronium not counting), two tiles to the left is the ''key-piece'' to ''volcano-paradise''

Well, paradise is definitely an opinion on that one, but yep.  That's the key spot.  (thanks @Siromatik for digging up the old thread). Here's the picture, with the key spot being the middle of the hightlighted area. 

5bac2be7d207e_Screenshotfrom2018-09-2618

Every natural vent/geyser/volcano outputs in a plus shaped region centered at this point.  If it's a geyser, make sure that the top of the cross has less than 500kg of liquid, and it will keep spewing out materials (my guess is this is the same for volcanos). Block all 5 ports in the cross shaped region so that no appropriate material can be output, and the thing stops. They have slightly different rules than an electrolyzer (you can't trick them into overpressurizing by using a tiny amount of liquid), but they are very similar.  

22 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Fairly easy in ONI as well. Here's an example

image.thumb.png.e50fa2f485f1a7273ca0cdd323f41c3f.png

This uses the fact that the detection range and pump range of any pump is different. The detection range being a 2x2 square. Here including the petroleum blob. And the pump range being a 5 tile cross. Here including the magma tile under the pump but not the petroleum blob.

Then it uses a 1g or 2g Chlorine or CO2 gas insulator and a hydrogen gas cooler for the pump (otherwise it over time overheats if in a vacuum.

And then you just need a means of keeping it cool enough for the pump to work which requires very little effort. Here done by a polluted water tank.

And then finally, in this specific case it uses the fact that a minipump pumps exactly 10% of a liquid pipe maximum flow rate and therefore cannot break due to phase change. But this last point can be avoided in other ways.

Tiles and pipes used here are standard ceramic. No need for insulation (the material).

Whoa. You just blew my mind, I had no idea that was possible. 

I thought pumps exchanged heat with their content like every other building. I guess it is not the case, as that pump would turn to Naphta in one second, correct?

2 hours ago, suxkar said:

I thought pumps exchanged heat with their content like every other building. I guess it is not the case, as that pump would turn to Naphta in one second, correct?

There's tons of buildings that does not exchange heat with it's content, like metal refineries, storage compactors, reservoirs, etc etc

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

There's tons of buildings that does not exchange heat with it's content, like metal refineries, storage compactors, reservoirs, etc etc

I guess you are obviously right! Thanks for taking the time!

Archived