Oxygen Not Included Launching July 30th!

50 minutes ago, helight59 said:

No, this is new reviews. You buy a computer for 1400 bucks and you have 10 fps in the game. Why not transfer part of the calculations from the processor, I do not understand. In Assasins, creed Odysey has a MUCH more calculations.

You cant compare AS-O with ONI. Not a bit. Sorry its like apples and potatoes. You can eat them both, but they are not alike.

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

You cant compare AS-O with ONI. Not a bit. Sorry its like apples and potatoes. You can eat them both, but they are not alike.

different concepts. The complexity and number of calculations are also completely different. In the engine "Origins" them much more

21 hours ago, helight59 said:

No, this is new reviews. You buy a computer for 1400 bucks and you have 10 fps in the game. Why not transfer part of the calculations from the processor, I do not understand. In Assasins, creed Odysey has a MUCH more calculations.

In computers there are two kinds of calculations: those where call order matters and those where call order doesn't matter.

Take for instance the functionality of addition. You give it two numbers and you get another number in return. If you call it more than once, it doesn't matter which order you call it. Say you have an addition function, which adds a single number to the result of the last call. Suddenly the call order matters. Providing the same numbers in a different order will result in different results.

When ONI calculates on gas movement, it has gas going from A to B and then it has gas going from B to C. If you do those two in reverse order, then the result might be different. Also both can change how much gas is stored in B, meaning they can conflict if they run at precisely the same time. In fact running "unprotected" at the same time can create or destroy mass.

Let's take another example. You want to increase brightness of the screen by 5%. This means you have to read each pixel and multiply the 3 colors by 1.05 and then place it back. This can be done in any order as doing it backwards or in any other order will result in the same result.

This is an important difference because the only way to make sure nothing runs at the same time and that the order is fixed is to run everything on the same CPU core. This means gas movement is stuck with one CPU core. The brightness however can run on multiple CPU cores. In fact that's the type of calculation you can move to CUDA cores (on the GPU), meaning if you have 2560 CUDA cores, then you can calculate 2560 pixels at the same time.

This means it's not enough to look at how many calculations there are in a game, but you also have to consider the type of calculations. ONI has issues with the type and that's not the fault of Klei. It's just how math/physics work. Generally speaking all games have issues with spreading across multiple CPU cores and if you want fast gaming in general, you want high speed on each CPU core rather than many cores.

Does this mean ONI will forever be stuck with one core performance and low framerate? No. It means there isn't any easy solution, but that's not the same as there is no solution.

There is no easy solution only for gas and liquid movement, but what make my game lag is stuff on ground, duplicants having different way to reach the same point, critters movement and automation.

We need to think the base as a lot of dead-end instead of making it the more practical so dupe don't have lot of choice for their pathfinding...
Some game have a lot more pathfinding with no problem.

3 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

In computers there are two kinds of calculations: those where call order matters and those where call order doesn't matter.

Take for instance the functionality of addition. You give it two numbers and you get another number in return. If you call it more than once, it doesn't matter which order you call it. Say you have an addition function, which adds a single number to the result of the last call. Suddenly the call order matters. Providing the same numbers in a different order will result in different results.

When ONI calculates on gas movement, it has gas going from A to B and then it has gas going from B to C. If you do those two in reverse order, then the result might be different. Also both can change how much gas is stored in B, meaning they can conflict if they run at precisely the same time. In fact running "unprotected" at the same time can create or destroy mass.

Let's take another example. You want to increase brightness of the screen by 5%. This means you have to read each pixel and multiply the 3 colors by 1.05 and then place it back. This can be done in any order as doing it backwards or in any other order will result in the same result.

This is an important difference because the only way to make sure nothing runs at the same time and that the order is fixed is to run everything on the same CPU core. This means gas movement is stuck with one CPU core. The brightness however can run on multiple CPU cores. In fact that's the type of calculation you can move to CUDA cores (on the GPU), meaning if you have 2560 CUDA cores, then you can calculate 2560 pixels at the same time.

This means it's not enough to look at how many calculations there are in a game, but you also have to consider the type of calculations. ONI has issues with the type and that's not the fault of Klei. It's just how math/physics work. Generally speaking all games have issues with spreading across multiple CPU cores and if you want fast gaming in general, you want high speed on each CPU core rather than many cores.

Does this mean ONI will forever be stuck with one core performance and low framerate? No. It means there isn't any easy solution, but that's not the same as there is no solution.

It was interesting to read about asynchronous programming. This can and should be optimized. It is not easy, but it is necessary. Intel has good performance on every core. Especially on i9. If the game lags on all PCs, then this game requires, screaming to be optimized. But I think that the developers want to finish the features first, and then optimize them. But if they keep silent about this, then this will never happen.

17 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

So its tomorrow then? its already 30 here in the Philippines

I wanna ask a question, why is the game locked at 60fps? can we get further than that so we can get higher fps on longer playthroughs?

Is it a troll ? We are discussing how it's hard to reach 15 fps and you ask to unlock the 144 fps ? 

40 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

I wanna ask a question, why is the game locked at 60fps? can we get further than that so we can get higher fps on longer playthroughs?

Just be glad you're even getting 60fps. Lol     that number will go down  over gameplay cycles. Lol. 

3 hours ago, Lutzkhie said:

Sorry bro, but Klei unlocked it only for me

2019-07-30_5-00-45.jpg

8 hours ago, thcana said:

We need to think the base as a lot of dead-end instead of making it the more practical so dupe don't have lot of choice for their pathfinding...
Some game have a lot more pathfinding with no problem.

ONI nowadays needs a heck more pc requirements, having less than needed can result in your game suffering and the calculations being faster than the world, meaning it just gets hella broken.

2 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

ONI nowadays needs a heck more pc requirements, having less than needed can result in your game suffering and the calculations being faster than the world, meaning it just gets hella broken.

7700k and GTX1070 is not the best but i have more than 100 FPS in most games.

55 minutes ago, thcana said:

It's russian so it's hacked ! Surely a KGB version.

Oh my god, how did you disclose me? I drank tea again, screwing up my eyes? :o

1 hour ago, Lutzkhie said:

im literally at 60fps flat never goes beyond so im guessing its locked?

Check Nvidia drivers. There, the default for everything that is not a full-screen video application is 60 frames per second. I myself discovered this by experience very recently.

Be happy now ;)

2019-07-30_10-03-30.jpg

6 minutes ago, thcana said:

Russian who drink tea... You plan to invade MI5 ?

Of course, this tea with vodka. This thought should give you peace of mind))

Klei, where release? I watch to it 10 hours :( Time to release, wake up))

2019-07-30_10-23-31.jpg

Archived