Pet per dupe

Might be crazy but i think it would be nice if a dupe can be asign a tame critter and said critter would have its life span increse x 10 with a lot of extra needs, they would walk next to the dupe, give it morale, a unique bonus per type of critter, like extra digging with a hatch, they would sleep on the floor next to their beds, maybe pet beds?... What do you think?

As cute as that could be, I smell lag. And the smell of it is rancid.

Though in all honesty, I don't think I'd use it personally even if it had minimal performance impact (or none). I don't even slow the game down to watch the dupes enjoy themselves or whatnot, unless it's a brand new machine I've not seen before. I'd much, much, much rather have more problems/solutions/goals in this game than cosmetics. Those are the fun parts and the reasons I love ONI. If I feel the need for fluff I'll get some blue slicksters going and it will be more than enough for me.

I like the idea! 

Might be an opportunity to have individual rooms per dupe: pet hangs around in their room during the day, dupe comes back and plays with them and/or walks them during break time.

Plus, Meep would finally be able to show everyone how much of a crazy pip lover he is (minimum 5 pips to keep Meep's morale up, obviously)

1 hour ago, erny0507 said:

Might be crazy but i think it would be nice if a dupe can be asign a tame critter and said critter would have its life span increse x 10 with a lot of extra needs, they would walk next to the dupe, give it morale, a unique bonus per type of critter, like extra digging with a hatch, they would sleep on the floor next to their beds, maybe pet beds?... What do you think?

Mayb not per dupe as it sounds like fallout shelter but pets in general would be cool idea. Decor bonus - its own shelter and additoon to recreation room with "playing station" - also make pets sad when noone plays with them. 

I've been thinking of this since forever. I've always tried to keep one wild hatch per bedroom, some wild longhair slicksters if I manage in the mess hall(s) or rec room, some wild shinebugs here and there, if they survive.

I would not like for them to follow the dupe in hazardous areas, it may expose them to danger. I can also imagine a really crippling "mourning" debuff once the pet passes away.

An assigned pet shinebug would be cool however... Goes everywhere, becomes an animated piece of equipment instead of a critter following a dupe. Portable light, with "maintenance" costs as a downside :wilson_blush:

Special puft variant acting as a gas mask? Gassy Moo with a chef hat, helping your cooks. It actually gives the first "poof" to start the gas oven :mrgreen:

14 minutes ago, Skrivener said:

Perhaps pets could be assigned to a bedroom rather than a dupe, solving the "following them everywhere and getting fried" problem?

Or just standing on duplicants shoulders, and considering as a cloth by the game (deny it from generating pathfinding for both)

1 hour ago, Siromatik said:

Or just standing on duplicants shoulders, and considering as a cloth by the game (deny it from generating pathfinding for both)

Or just make pets immune. The only downside i see is that it might be hard to look after them when building, bit this can be solved if there would be new building "per station" - like checkpoint where you can build paths where pets will be following you but not move after checkpoint - just wait there - building sort of "routes" between those checkpoints.

What about... the full domesticated pets would be unlock for a new profession, a sort of rank 5 rancher, (rank 4 would be a better xeno rancher for gassy moos and lets hope some other alien critters in the future).

Prosposed changes:

• A new recreation room, The pets store, basically all unasigned pets or pets which their owners has gone to a place they cannot follow go, would give the equivalent of "played with a tons of cute puppies" status, all the building would be operated for this new rank 5 rancher.
  • The Microbe Musher would has a new recipe, Pet food, would use mush bars and others Dups food to justify the new "inmortality" for the pets
  • All pets would eat pet food and use the current feeder
  • Great halls would have benefits for pet feeders
  • Pet bed for pets asigned
  • Pets would not longer provide their poop resources, instead they provide benefits when played with or asign to. Some ideas:
    • Hatch: +1 digging
    • Stone hatch: +2 digging
    • Sage hatch: +1 digging +1% germ resistance per cycle?
    • Smooth hatch: +1 digging +a bit of extra minerals from ores?
    • Shinebug: +1 research
    • Pips: increase farmers touch

The problem with the pets entering dangerous zones: either pets return by themself to the pets beds, to the pets store or to play around on save zones, since they are fully domesticated we could assume they would be more intelligent or we could say they have been heavily selected bred to use dups path pathing so they can go back to they save zones.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, erny0507 said:

What about... the full domesticated pets would be unlock for a new profession, a sort of rank 5 rancher, (rank 4 would be a better xeno rancher for gassy moos and lets hope some other alien critters in the future).

Prosposed changes:

• A new recreation room, The pets store, basically all unasigned pets or pets which their owners has gone to a place they cannot follow go, would give the equivalent of "played with a tons of cute puppies" status, all the building would be operated for this new rank 5 rancher.
  • The Microbe Musher would has a new recipe, Pet food, would use mush bars and others Dups food to justify the new "inmortality" for the pets
  • All pets would eat pet food and use the current feeder
  • Great halls would have benefits for pet feeders
  • Pet bed for pets asigned
  • Pets would not longer provide their poop resources, instead they provide benefits when played with or asign to. Some ideas:
    • Hatch: +1 digging
    • Stone hatch: +2 digging
    • Sage hatch: +1 digging +1% germ resistance per cycle?
    • Smooth hatch: +1 digging +a bit of extra minerals from ores?
    • Shinebug: +1 research
    • Pips: increase farmers touch

The problem with the pets entering dangerous zones: either pets return by themself to the pets beds, to the pets store or to play around on save zones, since they are fully domesticated we could assume they would be more intelligent or we could say they have been heavily selected bred to use dups path pathing so they can go back to they save zones.

Interesting idea, to solve the extra pathing load i would just have the critters sit on the shoulders/backs of the duplicants and just chill.

Archived