How to setup Ice machines?

Find a water source. Put a pitcher pump in it. Set up 3-5 ice machines in the local area. Done.

For bonus points, place the ice machines in another biome, on the other side of an insulated wall. That way the machine's heat gets dumped outside.

3 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Find a water source. Put a pitcher pump in it. Set up 3-5 ice machines in the local area. Done.

For bonus points, place the ice machines in another biome, on the other side of an insulated wall. That way the machine's heat gets dumped outside.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.pn

it kinda depends on what you want to use it for. You making ice for the fan? You just want to cool the water?

Just now, N00bieMeap said:

to cool ~40 Celsius water

Then dump the ice into the water using a dispenser (machine that drops delivered items down) or an automated door under the ice machine that opens for 1 sec every day for example.

3 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Then dump the ice into the water using a dispenser (machine that drops delivered items down) or an automated door under the ice machine that opens for 1 sec every day for example.

into a big pool of atleast 64 tiles?

Just now, N00bieMeap said:

into a big pool of atleast 64 tiles?

No. Keep the pool small or you'll be waiting for eternity for it to cool down. Imagine dropping a mere 30kg of ice into a pool that has 100 tonns of water in it.

Ok, this is not the most efficient setup as I just designed this for a rate test but it will work.

Just a pitcher pump in the water you want to cool. Use metal and mesh tiles under the ice machines. Put a pump in the water with a valve set to about 500g (so it doesn't run continuously), which drips water over the ice makers and keep them cool (and keeps the heat in the water). Also put a storage unit for the ice next to it and drip water over it too. Dupes will fill ice makers, move the ice to storage, where it melts back into your water supply. You can bridge off the drip cooling line to pump the water out. You probably want to use more ice makers. With only 2, this setup will cool 12t of water by 10C in about 20 cycles.

image.thumb.png.dabb1a08faab9d385d70a5262728370f.png

image.thumb.png.43cf735a355d7ea29d7897447c784056.png

1 hour ago, nonoxyl said:

Ok, this is not the most efficient setup as I just designed this for a rate test but it will work.

Just a pitcher pump in the water you want to cool. Use metal and mesh tiles under the ice machines. Put a pump in the water with a valve set to about 500g (so it doesn't run continuously), which drips water over the ice makers and keep them cool (and keeps the heat in the water). Also put a storage unit for the ice next to it and drip water over it too. Dupes will fill ice makers, move the ice to storage, where it melts back into your water supply. You can bridge off the drip cooling line to pump the water out. You probably want to use more ice makers. With only 2, this setup will cool 12t of water by 10C in about 20 cycles.

image.thumb.png.dabb1a08faab9d385d70a5262728370f.png

image.thumb.png.43cf735a355d7ea29d7897447c784056.png

One problem I see is the constant soggy feet debuff and the ''shake water off feet animation'' that adds extra time needed to fulfil the chore. Or am I wrong? I think a little redesign could fix this but I forbid myself to play the last test branch until release...

3 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

One problem I see is the constant soggy feet debuff and the ''shake water off feet animation'' that adds extra time needed to fulfil the chore. Or am I wrong? I think a little redesign could fix this but I forbid myself to play the last test branch until release...

Yep. Not a problem if you have exosuits but without you will definitely have the debuff. A sink or handwashing station is also something to think about since dupes can transfer food poisoning to the ice.

1 hour ago, nonoxyl said:

A sink or handwashing station is also something to think about since dupes can transfer food poisoning to the ice.

Yes! Very true...so maybe better idea would just plainly be aquatuner, and use the hot cooling water for electrolyzer....?

3 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Yes! Very true...so maybe better idea would just plainly be aquatuner, and use the hot cooling water for electrolyzer....?

Sending hot water to the electrolyzer is always a good idea. The gas is much easier to cool down, so you still save on heat.

6 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Just having mesh tiles can be a better choice i guess.

Here's about the best module you can make for deleting (as opposed to moving) heat with them currently.

Notes:

1. Uses conveyer rail / matter duplication at the bottom row. You will generate water with this. When this bug gets fixed, it will be pretty bad at cooling (20kDTU/s at current preview branch total for 5 machines).

2. Loader is set to ice.

3. Array of igneous rock tempshift plates is used behind them to act as a thermal battery. The metal between mesh tiles thermally couples the bottom plates to the water via the right wall.

4. Images have been updated to include Math's conveyer rail fixes.

img1.thumb.png.600c70634ddc3b19d25de16576b83f0e.png

img2.png

img3.png

3 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Here's about the best module you can make for deleting (as opposed to moving) heat with them currently.

I love the post and picture. 

• One issue you may have not yet encountered is that if the ice melts on the far right, or far left, sides, then rather than getting duplication may end up with annihilation.  The bug seems to do odd things if you aren't careful about the ends. To avoid this, I'd make my rails extend one less unit on each side, so there is a 1 tile gap between where the rails end and the walls start. 
  • Another possible improvement might be to swap the rails so they move right on the bottom row inside the tiles (as heat transfer differs based on direction of flow). @Saturnus's model utilized this direction in the water duplicator post. 

Archived