World gen with all possible biomes?

7 minutes ago, bobucles said:

It seems like a simple oversight and I suspect the forge itself will be given more flexible options.

Maybe it should use aluminum instead of copper?  Or are there worlds that don't generate aluminum?

On a side note, after actually looking into all 'em biomes (actually subworlds, biome and their contents are to follow), the world SandstoneFrozen aka Rim has all kinds of major subworlds besides BarrenGranite which is arguably not one (since it has no content worth mentioning). However even though it has a forest with trees, space kittens there are neigh... likewise there should be neither slicksters nor hatches Edit: nvm about hatches and slicksters still can be located in Irregular Oil Locations. But still no kittens...

I though have yet to name them correctly and this sheet also has unused worlds (Helicona and the Rock), unused biomes and special biomes. The first asteroid which we have played, loved and hated for so long is also still left mostly unchanged. (SandstoneDefault aka Terra)

Spoiler
Name Badlands ForestDefault ForestHot ForestLush Helicona Oasis Oceania SandstoneDefault SandstoneFrozen TheRock Volcanic #
BarrenGranite                       1
Forest                       2
ForestFrozen                       1
ForestHot                       1
ForestMiniMetal                       3
ForestMiniMetalHot                       1
ForestMiniOxy                       3
ForestMiniOxyHot                       1
ForestMiniWater                       3
ForestMiniWaterHot                       1
ForestStart                       3
ForestStartHot                       1
CO2Lakes                       1
Frozen                       6
Jungle                       8
JungleFrozen                       1
JungleSolid                       1
Bottom                       9
MagmaVent                       1
SolidMagma                       1
VolcanoHole                       1
HotMarsh                       6
HotMarshSlush                       1
Ocean                       7
OceanDeep                       1
OceanFrozen                       1
OceanHot                       1
OceanSlush                       1
OilDry                        
OilField                        
OilPatch                       2
OilPockets                       6
OilPocketsCold                       1
OilPocketsFrozen                       1
Rust                       4
RustFrozen                       1
RustWarm                       1
Desert                       1
Sandstone                       5
SandstoneFrozen                       1
SandstoneMiniAlgae                       2
SandstoneMiniAlgaeCold                       1
SandstoneMiniMetal                       4
SandstoneMiniMetalCold                       1
SandstoneMiniWater                       4
SandstoneMiniWaterCold                       1
SandstoneStart                       4
SandstoneStartCold                       1
SandstoneSuckerCell                        
Space                       9
Surface                       8
Surface Crags                       1
TheVoid                       0
Default                       0
Impenetrable                       9
# total 14 14 16 14 5 14 15 14 21 5 14  
# Barren-Forest-
Frozen-Jungle--
Marsh-Ocean-
Oil-Rust-Sandstone
6 6 6 6   5 6 6 8   6  

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

Worse, the Printer Pod will not produce Copper if you have not already discovered it.  So...  yeah.

Also, can reed fibers be found on all maps?  Even if they do, you could be faced with long search for that biome just to get exosuits.

Whiling talking about biomes breaking things, arnt several of the new starting biomes lacking dirt, so no research?  If you have no algae, and no dirt, you have a very limited time to dig out to other biomes and finding dirt, and researching stuff needed to survive.

26 minutes ago, chemie said:

Also, not reed fibers can be found on all maps?

Well, not when you are located on a BAD or FRST asteroid~

Edit: On the upside, there are still Dreckos there

26 minutes ago, chemie said:

arnt several of the new starting biomes lacking dirt

well, there are only two distinctly different starting biomes, and the ForestStart I just generated had quite plenty. ForestStartHot as well. SandstoneStart and SandstoneStartCold also were not lacking.

At this point I want to say thanks for the new resource overlay~

But welp, it'd be good to make a list of essential materials and where they are missing. Dirt is obviously one of them and so is Reed Fibers. Additionally there is at least Copper as well as long as it is set as required for exosuits.

In my world list I sure want to list which materials are lacking, possible &c just for myself to serve as reference (which I might as well share on launcg when it is not subject to total obliteration).

2 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Well, not when you are located on a BAD or FRST asteroid~

well, there are only two distinctly different starting biomes, and the ForestStart I just generated had quite plenty. ForestStartHot as well. SandstoneStart and SandstoneStartCold also were not lacking.

At this point I want to say thanks for the new resource overlay~

But welp, it'd be good to make a list of essential materials and where they are missing. Dirt is obviously one of them and so is Reed Fibers. Additionally there is at least Copper as well as long as it is set as required for exosuits.

In my world list I sure want to list which materials are lacking, possible &c just for myself to serve as reference (which I might as well share on launcg when it is not subject to total obliteration).

dirt- research

copper- exosuits

reed fiber - exosuits (art)

balm lilly - medicine

algae - oxygen although the new plant might bridge things if you have dirt to feed them

phosphorite - for fertilizer and weezeworts

I agree it would be good to know which worlds are dead ends for things like space travel (copper and reed fiber)

Just now, chemie said:

I agree it would be good to know which worlds are dead ends for things like space travel (copper and reed fiber)

I would consider dead ends like that to be bugs. It seems the new goal of the game is to reach the most far away "planet", which would make a game without space travel kind of pointless.

It would seem kind of like Supremacy where the hardest level is impossible to beat, but the player isn't told that. It's intentionally made that way because the developers didn't want players to go "now I beat that game on the hardest level and it was too easy".

12 minutes ago, chromiumboy said:

I hope so. I just gave up on my new 100+ cycle colony once I realised there was no reeds on the map...

They need to allow multiple paths to a recipe.  Some game mechanics are based on the original single map with guaranteed resource availability.  Another way to make fibers like from wood. Exosuits from aluminum etc

9 minutes ago, goboking said:

They could add a spider to the forest biome and have them produce silk, which could be subbed in lieu of reed fibers.

There is lots of things they could do.  I am just surprised no one thought that removing key ingredients from maps wouldn't break critical things 

35 minutes ago, chromiumboy said:

I hope so. I just gave up on my new 100+ cycle colony once I realised there was no reeds on the map...

I suppose the wild Dreckos died then?

Especially the Rust biome, not the cold one, is already sub-zero (even if just a bit) yet Drecko do indeed spawn there.

In any event, before I dive more into the files, I might as well just generate 9 worlds, without boulders if possible and use the new materials overlay.

45 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Especially the Rust biome, not the cold one, is already sub-zero (even if just a bit) yet Drecko do indeed spawn there.

In any event, before I dive more into the files, I might as well just generate 9 worlds, without boulders if possible and use the new materials overlay.

New Drecko variant incoming, maybe?

8 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

God damn it. I've never bothered to ranch dreckos, and completely forgot the basic ones can give you reed fibre. That's my fault then

They just released an update allowing atmosuits to be bymuilt from a variety of metals, so guess I'm set :)

Archived