How bad is toxicity in the DST community?

I ask because last night we received a request to join our party from a random player, and we ended up declining it over concern for their intentions.

We all felt like a bunch of a**holes for it, but it IS a family camp and we are about to reach 2000 days (a mile stone lol), and coming from a toxic R6 Siege community, we've kinda learned to hope for the best but expect the worst, and if in doubt keep them out. 

How often do people have issues with random strangers burning down their camps or killing their people in DST? Is it fairly common or rare or somewhere in between? Also, are there certain tells about a random that might be clues that they are up to no good, or maybe even tell us that they're ok? 

We'd like to include new people when they ask, we just aren't sure who to trust and how to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

Thanks for any input or advice!

Sadly griefers and base burner are REALLY common. This is the number one reason why i usually play alone.

To find good people to play with, i go in Klei public server and when i find decent peeps i asked them if they ever wanna play again afterward. With this method i never encountered any bad people yet :) .

Also most of the peeps here on the DST PS4 forum could be good potential to play with. I dont think theres any ps4 griefer that went as far as creating a forum account, if you get what i mean.

11 hours ago, PSV_USA said:

How often do people have issues with random strangers burning down their camps or killing their people in DST? Is it fairly common or rare or somewhere in between?

I run my world open to the public pretty often, and roughly it's 1 out of every 5 people that join are up to no good. Usually it's just someone taking a torch to the first town or taking everything from the shops, but every once in awhile someone intentionally goes deep into the world to try and get away with wrecking something out there. 

Also, are there certain tells about a random that might be clues that they are up to no good, or maybe even tell us that they're ok? 

I tend not to trust people with out mics. I keep a closer eye on them since I have to get a feel for them via their actions. If I can hear someone speak I can gauge their intentions earlier. 

We'd like to include new people when they ask, we just aren't sure who to trust and how to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

That's an age old human dilemma. Trust your gut if anything. If you get a weird vibe, give them the boot. 

I always keep my base closed unless someone chats me up after having worked together on a server.

I personally have witnessed other people's bases go up in smoke. Someone joined and a few minutes later base was burned down and she denies the whole thing. Me and other dude were on mic. Like the base would really burn down in autumn alone.

Just ban them both from your server, and actual PSN account when it happens and roll back

I ask because last night we received a request to join our party from a random player, and we ended up declining it over concern for their intentions.

We all felt like a bunch of a**holes for it, but it IS a family camp and we are about to reach 2000 days (a mile stone lol), and coming from a toxic R6 Siege community, we've kinda learned to hope for the best but expect the worst, and if in doubt keep them out. 

How often do people have issues with random strangers burning down their camps or killing their people in DST? Is it fairly common or rare or somewhere in between? Also, are there certain tells about a random that might be clues that they are up to no good, or maybe even tell us that they're ok? 

Thanks for any input or advice!

I haven't had a griefer in awhile, I normally have a system for it. People WITHOUT mics are normally friendly, people WITH mics eeeeh..... You always check a few things (1 -) You see how old they are. Normally little kids are the culprit, mostly 13 year olds. (2 -) I used to kick all Willows without question (Before the update) Because they were either a griefer, or just over bad at the game. So I dont take my chances, but now I have to..... :( 

5 hours ago, Warlockadamm said:

Sadly griefers and base burner are REALLY common. This is the number one reason why i usually play alone.

Thanks for the response. Guess better safe than sorry. I just hate to make anyone feel unwelcome. They really aren't unwelcome, they are just unknown and therefore a bit risky :(

Maybe when the new update comes and we start a new world we can take a few risks and just see what happens in a new, uninvested-in (<-- not even a word XD ) world.

1 hour ago, Brago-sama said:

Just ban them both from your server, and actual PSN account when it happens and roll back

Yes, this is an option one of the guys I play with mentioned. He said if anything happens we can always kick them out and roll back, and I think that's a great option to have. I'm glad there is that safety net built in for us, since this game can be merely cruel on a good day lol

1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I run my world open to the public pretty often, and roughly it's 1 out of every 5 people that join are up to no good.

Wow, that's more than i expected, actually. I had the impression that DST was mostly a friendly community with just a few bad eggs :( Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, GetRektKids said:

(1 -) You see how old they are. Normally little kids are the culprit, mostly 13 year olds. (2 -) I used to kick all Willows without question (Before the update) Because they were either a griefer, or just over bad at the game

I had a feeling the pre-teens and teens would be the main problem.

Willows are problematic? I don't play her, but my friend does. I had heard she tends to light fires when insane, but we haven't seen this in DST. I did see it when trying out DS as Willow, though. I play Wendy (I find her attachment to Abigail to be endearing lol), she has Abby to who is great at any enemy that can be stun locked and she has less of a problem with sanity drain. I stink at fighting the fast nightmares (I can never quite gauge them right) but my husband is great at it, so if we need nightmare fuel he's the guy to call. I just make sure my tam o' shanter is sewn up and keep the perogies coming when he needs them lol.

Plus once you learn to kite her weaker hits aren't so bad, it just takes her a little longer to finish the job :) 

I simply babysit newcomers on my servers, plus i usually have it set to friends only. As @Warlockadamm said i do something similar, i join public servers or Klei servers to find potential friends. I don't accept friends requests from DST players unless i've played with them previously, being a mod for a DST community i get way to many random friend requests and i simply cannot afford the risk of accepting all of them. Since adopting this policy i have only had one griefer in over a year.

On occasion when i make my server public i set it up so only one other person can join for 2 reasons, 1 to keep lag minimal(long term worlds) 2 so that said babysitting is manageable, nothing worse then a pair of griefers working together. Just remember rollback is your friend and is a truely useful way to combat griefing.

4 hours ago, Rogueagent01 said:

i usually have it set to friends only.

That's how I had mine set up, but for some reason my brother in law could not join as the game did not recognize him as a friend (he is, of course). I checked the settings on both our sides and there should not be a problem, but it still tells him he cannot join because we are not friends.that's when I had to change our settings to public with a password. It works, but I would prefer friends only.

11 minutes ago, PSV_USA said:

That's how I had mine set up, but for some reason my brother in law could not join as the game did not recognize him as a friend (he is, of course). I checked the settings on both our sides and there should not be a problem, but it still tells him he cannot join because we are not friends.that's when I had to change our settings to public with a password. It works, but I would prefer friends only.

This situation happens sometimes when one of the player is playing "offline" with the PSN. Both needs to be online to be concidered as friend.

Hope it helps :)

On 6/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, PSV_USA said:

Thanks for the response. Guess better safe than sorry. I just hate to make anyone feel unwelcome. They really aren't unwelcome, they are just unknown and therefore a bit risky :(

Maybe when the new update comes and we start a new world we can take a few risks and just see what happens in a new, uninvested-in (<-- not even a word XD ) world.

Yes, this is an option one of the guys I play with mentioned. He said if anything happens we can always kick them out and roll back, and I think that's a great option to have. I'm glad there is that safety net built in for us, since this game can be merely cruel on a good day lol

Wow, that's more than i expected, actually. I had the impression that DST was mostly a friendly community with just a few bad eggs :( Thanks for the input!

I had a feeling the pre-teens and teens would be the main problem.

Willows are problematic? I don't play her, but my friend does. I had heard she tends to light fires when insane, but we haven't seen this in DST. I did see it when trying out DS as Willow, though. I play Wendy (I find her attachment to Abigail to be endearing lol), she has Abby to who is great at any enemy that can be stun locked and she has less of a problem with sanity drain. I stink at fighting the fast nightmares (I can never quite gauge them right) but my husband is great at it, so if we need nightmare fuel he's the guy to call. I just make sure my tam o' shanter is sewn up and keep the perogies coming when he needs them lol.

Plus once you learn to kite her weaker hits aren't so bad, it just takes her a little longer to finish the job :) 

It's just that Willow spawns with a lighter that's all so then It's easier to burn things I guess. To bad Willow is actually a good character now :(

11 hours ago, Warlockadamm said:

This situation happens sometimes when one of the player is playing "offline" with the PSN. Both needs to be online to be concidered as friend.

Hope it helps :)

Thank, I'll ask him about his settings :)

I almost always play solo, so my experience in this area is bit limited. But occasionally I'll join a new world just to piss myself off. I can say I've never encountered a blatant griefer. I've never encountered someone who starts hammering or torching structures. But 99.9% of everyone I've played with is absolutely horrible at the game (no offense). They'll roam around in circles if not given instructions. They'll add redundant structures a screen away from the current base in an unorderly fashion. They'll not prepare for the seasons in any way shape or form. They'll afk for 20 minutes, especially in ghost form.

But these experiences come from building up a world from scratch, I find it boring joining someone's already fleshed out world. The percentage of griefers may be way higher in worlds that have a lot to lose.

7 hours ago, Josonic said:

But these experiences come from building up a world from scratch, I find it boring joining someone's already fleshed out world.

We intend to start a new world with the update. We may try an open world then just to see what it's like :) Do not want to risk our big camp lol

6 hours ago, PSV_USA said:

We intend to start a new world with the update. We may try an open world then just to see what it's like :) Do not want to risk our big camp lol

That's kinda what i was going to suggest is just use one of your save files as a public server and "roll with the punches". I have one like that but i haven't used it in a long time. Now with the downtime before the Turn of Tides this is a good time to start that one up again. I might just set up an Endless server and let it run for a day or two at a time and see what happens, it'll be interesting to see if carnage or teamwork will prevail.

5 hours ago, Rogueagent01 said:

I might just set up an Endless server and let it run for a day or two at a time and see what happens, it'll be interesting to see if carnage or teamwork will prevail.

Social experimentation at it's finest XD

Just an update on this topic,

Myself, my husband and his brother decided to start a new world yesterday and open it to the public. It was QUITE the experience lol.

First we went in alone and set up a starter camp, leaving most of the world unexplored (we made it big with long Autumns, slow disease, and less wildfires...I think everything else was default) so everyone could have fun exploring together. We took a page out of NSAiswatchingus's book and set up three chests at the portal, each full of all the essentials (grass, twigs, flint, ect) and even included a Wigfrid spear, helm, thermal stones, full lanterns and umbrellas in each one LOL. We made one fire pit and one endothermic pit there, as well as a science machine. We didn't make backpacks because we weren't sure anyone would join soon, and we didn't want them looking like wet goop from sitting around. We figured the science machine would take care of that :)

It took a good two hours or so to get things set up with a basic camp (two crock pots, one fridge, one fire pit, one alchemy machine, one presto-whatever hat machine, a few supply chests ect.) welcome signs and all that.

We exited the world, took a fifteen minute break, came back in and switched the world from 6 person/public/password protected to 6 person/public and kinda ran around waiting to see what would happen. It wasn't a full five minutes before we got our first visitor, who went to find the pig king. Then two more came in together as a duo. Over the course of about an hour and a half, we got around 10 people popping in and out, and of those ten, two were griefers. One Wes and one Wendy. But everyone else was nice and either helped out or went off to do their own thing.

It was incredibly confusing for us, as we've never done this before and were used to a certain amount of order and constant communication via mics. This was NOT what we got lol. Not the fastest texters here, and trying to navigate texts, emotes, and other forms of non-mic communication was a nightmare, but we managed.

One WX, one Maxwell and one Willow were particularly helpful, and even brought their supplies to the camp before disconnecting. 

All in all, it was like previously stated, about 1 in 5 were there to screw around and the rest were there either helping or just doing their own thing :)

We deleted that server afterward but intend to create a new one today, with a few more starter camps available and more of the map explored before we open it up. If anyone wants to join from this forum, feel free. My psn name is Loaded_Potato611, my husbands is Darko611 and my brother-in-law is Vucko611. 

I can't say when we will be on for sure, but we normally play from around 4pm or 5pm est to about 9pm est. Today we will probably be on earlier to explore this new map. Our server's name is "Social Experiment 2" (lol) The last one was "Social Experiment 1" XD

After this world, we will probably try visiting other people's worlds and then go back to private worlds, since we are accustomed to each other :)

Oh! BTW, I'm Wigfrid, my hubby is Wilson and my brother-in-law is Wickerbottom. I decided to try Wigfrid after the thread on which 6 character's you would choose, and everyone was right, Wigfrid is pretty awesome :)

Was lag an issue? We play split screen and the past few days have been pretty rough lag wise. Yesterday wasn't terrible, but Thursday and Friday we experienced particularly aggressive rubber banding, as well as constant loss of control over our characters.

2 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Was lag an issue? We play split screen and the past few days have been pretty rough lag wise. Yesterday wasn't terrible, but Thursday and Friday we experienced particularly aggressive rubber banding, as well as constant loss of control over our characters.

We didn't have much lag, but we normally only get bad lag during hound attacks, spider mobs or tons of bunny men on screen (we have about 35 bunny hutches at the bee queen in our private world and she is literally next to the dragon fly lol, those rabbits come in handy :) ) . There was slight lag during a bearger attack, but nothing game breaking.

36 minutes ago, PSV_USA said:

we have about 35 bunny hutches at the bee queen in our private world

We just took out the Dragonfly for the first time yesterday, and the Bee Queen is next on the list. Do y'all just spawn the BQ and let the Bunnymen do all the work, or do you have to get in there and damage the BQ and Grumble Bees?  We watched a video on the topic a while back, and the guy was wading into the mass of Bunnymen to pick off the Grumble Bees. I'm worried about trying to target the bees and accidentally hitting the Bunnymen.

9 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

We just took out the Dragonfly for the first time yesterday, and the Bee Queen is next on the list. Do y'all just spawn the BQ and let the Bunnymen do all the work, or do you have to get in there and damage the BQ and Grumble Bees?  We watched a video on the topic a while back, and the guy was wading into the mass of Bunnymen to pick off the Grumble Bees. I'm worried about trying to target the bees and accidentally hitting the Bunnymen.

Nah. We give about half of them a helmet or bee hat, beat her with a hammer and let them go at it. We HAVE seen them do just fine without any protection, but we give about half of them something, just in case. We stick around close to keep the fight going, but otherwise the only time we interact is when the grumble bees come after us, then we kill them. The bunnies seem to keep things under control without our help lol PLUS once it's over you can gather all the bee queen loot as well as all the carrots, meat and fluff (to make even more hutches XD ) We figure we have enough right now. The lag is starting to get kinda rough during fights, so 30 - 35 is our max, it seems :) 

Oh, we did try to "help" the bunnies at the beginning, but we accidentally hit one of them instead of a bee and it was all over for us XD 

2 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Awesome, I'm definitely gonna get to work on that setup today. Thanks for the info.

NP. The bee queen is an easier fight by far in my opinion than the dragonfly, so if you managed the dragonfly you'll have no problems with the bee queen :)

Have you tried the tentacle trap for the Bee Queen?  There are some good videos on how to make that.  For the Dragon Fly if you farm the scales by hitting it until a scale falls then run away you can kill it after say getting 10 scales without it going it rage.  If you have Winona you can set catapults for the bunnymen and make a bunnymen farm.  The catapults can be used for the Dragonfly also.  

Back up your save files at least daily if you plan to make you server public. If it's a dedicated server you can edit it to an endless world and disable votes for world regeneration. Or just make an anarchy server and let the world burn.

4 hours ago, Sweaper said:

Back up your save files at least daily if you plan to make you server public. If it's a dedicated server you can edit it to an endless world and disable votes for world regeneration. Or just make an anarchy server and let the world burn.

For sure. I've known people with 1000+ day worlds that say people just take stuff burn everything and leave. Some people just come into the server with nothing else in mind.

Having said that, it's not good to seal yourself off from the world so from time to time I open up my server with 2 slots advertising of anyone wants to help kill a boss. If they put a genuine effort in I let them play for a bit more and often we become friends 

That's my favorite way to play. Some people it's their first time fighting a particular boss, or any boss at all and it's basically a learning experience. Sometimes I help them kill a boss in their world afterwards too.

Archived