Facing a Direction: Might have found something.

So, i may have accidentally figured out a new technique to figure out the direction you're facing without a compass, and tested it a few times to see if it was true.

This experiment started when i was gathering some random resources in Autumn as Webber, and decided to see if you moved in the same direction with the camera rotated. seeing the results, i made a few personal games to see if my theory was true.

we'll assume you have the rotate camera buttons on Q and E for this experiment.

Why would you need to do this? well, i solved a problem while also figuring out things about visual movement.

First off, a player spawns into the world facing north; if you don't rotate the camera, you'll be able to call out directions to other people who are also anti-rotation. sadly enough, that doesn't exactly work for people who rotate their cameras or literally have a working Q and E button to get a better look of their surroundings, like me and many others. so how does movement tie into this?

Well, go into a random world and spin the camera until you're lost, then move forwards and diagonally. you'll notice that your character will either look to the left/right, or look forwards while moving (and i don't exactly think it affects your movement speed).

The thing is, it's Consistent across multiple games. we have 4 values to work with, here:

Character looks forwards when moving diagonally forwards both times.

Character looks to the left when moving forwards and left, and forwards when moving diagonally right.

Character looks to the left and right when moving diagonally forward.

Character looks to the right when moving forwards and right, and forwards when moving diagonally left.

When using a compass without rotating the camera (assuming you somehow had one at the spawn gates or literally tore the Q and E buttons off your keyboard to resist turning it), you'll figure out that the camera defaults to looking north when spawning into a world. now we just need to tie our above information into directions, and we'll be set!

Here's what i gathered. the result were consistent across 5 different games with a different character each time, having spawned a compass in the first few seconds:

Facing North or North-West: Character looks forwards when moving diagonally forwards both times.

Facing West or South-West: Character looks to the left when moving forwards and left, and forwards when moving diagonally right.

Facing South or South-East: Character looks to the left and right when moving diagonally forward.

Facing East or North-East: Character looks to the right when moving forwards and right, and forwards when moving diagonally left.

if you don't want to re-read my previous statement with a bit of edited reading, WX-78 provided a diagram below. thanks, WX-78!

Directions.PNG.c28aad3a0034dc6e541911b656f0e851.PNG

yes, it's still confusing. i know.

You'll notice the big, blue "Q Rotation" and "E Rotation" words that I WX-78 pasted there. what does that mean?

Well, rotating the camera rotates the direction you face. s h o c k i n g. however, the reason why those are there are to tell you the Direction you rotate it in. Assuming you're looking north, rotating the camera goes as follows:

Rotating with the E button: North-East, East, South-East, South, South-West, West, North-West, North

Rotating with the Q button: North-West, West, South-West, South, South-East, East, North-East, North

Although i haven't given it proper testing yet, i assume that moving down would be the complete opposite of what i said earlier. if that's the case, it should be inverse to moving forwards. easy(ish)!

And those are all the notes i gathered on moving in certain directions. it's not TOO helpful, but give it some time and it could end up being useful, one way or another.

Wow, this is surprising and very usefull! Can't wait to try it.

So, I guess I can find north rotating my camera counter-clockwise with Q until my survivor looks forward while moving up-diagonal.

Also, what does the X and Y in the diagram means? Is X for Up and Y for down?

8 hours ago, DelroyBM said:

Wow, this is surprising and very usefull! Can't wait to try it.

So, I guess I can find north rotating my camera counter-clockwise with Q until my survivor looks forward while moving up-diagonal.

Also, what does the X and Y in the diagram means? Is X for Up and Y for down?

X means that when a character is moving in a direction, they won't look in the direction next to it (for example, Left X means you won't look left while moving diagonally left).

Y means that a character Will look in the direction next to it (for example, Left Y means you will look left while moving diagonally left).

12 hours ago, Rocketlauncher22 said:

When using a compass without rotating the camera (assuming you somehow had one at the spawn gates or literally tore the Q and E buttons off your keyboard to resist turning it), you'll figure out that the camera defaults to looking north when spawning into a world.

I use a compass mod to figure this out

Ok, on a serious and simple note: just hop in the closest Sinkhole and back up - your camera orientation will reset to default in both cases (when landing in Underground and when back on Forest shard). And no Compass was harmed in the process ;)

This is basically the only reason why I almost never turn my camera.

This way I can remember the whole world when I try to navigate, without even having to look at the map, and I can guide other people when they're looking for the base.

Archived