too many critters

2 hours ago, metallichydra said:

i have too many critters

when there's no good dupes, i choose eggs or critters if there's any.

toomanycritters.thumb.PNG.f6b5018068e34ef9f8753389e41ac4cd.PNG

does anyone have the same "problem"?

More troubling to me is that you appear to have a temperature problem in your great hall.  Those wilted plants aren't doing anything for your decor.  I don't see any problem with the number of critters you have in that room.

10 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

More troubling to me is that you appear to have a temperature problem in your great hall.  Those wilted plants aren't doing anything for your decor.  I don't see any problem with the number of critters you have in that room.

i do not really know how to cool down my base - i have some wheezeworts in my oxygen produktion room and some around my base.

Just now, metallichydra said:

i do not really know how to cool down my base - i have some wheezeworts in my oxygen produktion room and some around my base.

This is a topic that gets covered a lot, but many individuals have troubles with.  Everyone handles this problem, but here's how I do:

1. Heat rises.  If you build your hot buildings up high you can keep the lower part of your base cool.
  2. Because heat rises, it doesn't move to the sides that much.  So the first rule also applies to the sides of your base.  For example, I generally put my generators off to one side, preferably on the other side of an insulated wall.
  3. Buildings that run continually generate a LOT of heat.  That is one reason why most bases don't use very much lighting.  Because of this, I'll build three or four oxygen diffusers instead of only one.  Will one produce enough oxygen for my five dupes in the early part of my base? Certainly -- but it will also run almost continuously.  If I have 4, then the heat doesn't build up as fast and gets "soaked up" by the other elements in the area.
  4. Speaking of other elements... if you produce your oxygen using algae terrariums and off-gassing of the waste polluted water, then don't clean up the clay from your air purifiers -- it will help offset the heat from the polluted water.  Don't dig out large areas right away, because the undug elements will help moderate the temperature of your base.
  5. Water is dense, has a high heat capacity, and high conductivity compared to other fluids (especially gasses).  This means that if you use a closed-loop system for your plumbing, your base will get hot due to the 40c water coming out of the water purifier.  Upgrading the piping to insulated of some form -- sandstone (ok), ceramic (better), Insulation (best, but not worth it) -- will reduce the amount of extra heat the water will transfer to your base.  Another method is to use an 'open' system, where your clean water comes from a room-temperature (or cooled) reservoir and your wastewater dumps into an insulated pool.  Heck, you could throw an aquatuner on your closed-loop system and that would work as well, but I've found it to be a bit difficult, especially early in your base progression.  The only fluid (gas or liquid) with higher heat capacity and thermal conductivity is supercoolant.
  6. Low density gasses heat up much more quickly than high.  This is due to the lack of mass.  If you have a warm building (say, rock crusher) in an atmosphere of 500g oxygen, you're going to cook your base pretty quickly.  If you have it in an atmosphere of 2000g oxygen, the heat will stay much closer to the crusher and will be less likely to adversely affect other parts of your base (such as your mealwood farm).  Its also good to remember that some gasses are better conductors than others, and some are good insulators.  For example, wheezewarts in hydrogen will produce much more cooling than if they are in oxygen (or worse, CO2).  Wheezwarts in 2000g hydrogen will be much more effective than in 500g.  On the other side of things, a hot building such as a coal generator, in a chlorine atmosphere, is pretty much a recipe for overheating, since chlorine conducts very little heat.
  7. Cold sinks.  This means that wheezewarts above a hot thing work better than putting them below.  Tempshift plates and metal tiles change this rule, but generally speaking you want something that "produces" cold to be above (or inside) of what you want cooled. It just works better that way.  

tl;dr: Build hot things above or to the side of your living space.  Use insulated tiles/pipes/etc to reduce heat transfer into your living space.  If you use wheezewarts, put them in a suitable atmosphere.

yeah, crack and fry them.

only critters I keep early to mid game are dreckos if I can feed them mealwood (->fibers and early plastic) and shine bugs if I'm lucky having a patch of organic bristle blossoms.

11 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

there are many ways to cool your base:

- check the biomes you're about to enter for temp and insulate if possible. keep compactors for hot materials outside your living area.

- get "heaters" outside your base: batteries, compost, machinery

- never send 40°C water to your bathrooms, cool the water down between 15° and 25°C before you send it to your base. cool areas with polluted water going out

- once you use an outside air supply, cool the oxygen down as much as possible.

- wheezies work best in packs surrounded by hydrogen and temp shift plates.

A good cooling system a lot of people use is a hydrogen room full of wheezeworts with radiant vents running through it. Send the oxygen you are making through it before going to your base. Will suck a lot of the heat out of it.

I'm not as good as some of these folks, so grain of salt this post.

But! The save that I played the longest went to cycle 1800. I found 3 of the Anti-Entropy Thermo Nullifiers. I set up a ventilation room near each one, encased the AETN in hydrogen in an adjacent room, and used metal tiles for the wall between to cool the oxygen being generated. I added a few wheezewarts if I wasn't happy with the cooling. It does take a lot of materials to put down the air ducts to do this, but they kept the parts of the base fed by them cool and comfortable.

Now OUTSIDE the climate controlled rooms fed by these oxygen rooms, the temperature was getting dangerously high. Being the save I've played the longest, I mads a lot of mistakes and did a lot of failed experiments. My oxygen production was actually TOO high, and I accidentally pressurized a large section of the base with O2.

You read that right. I made the mistake of having TOO much oxygen.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:16 AM, mircomars said:

once you use an outside air supply, cool the oxygen down as much as possible

This.  I am very careful beginning a game to keep my base totally isolated from the hot biomes around it. I build vacuum walls where I can, insulated tiles where I cannot.  I use algae terrariums early and keep that area as cool as possible, no hot buildings near.  I put my coal generators two floors below my regular base with an empty floor between them and the next floor being my storage containers (lots of mass there)  I use 3 door vacuum locks at the top and bottom exits of my base. When I build my electrolizers, I run the generated oxygen through five worts in hyrdogen with insulated pipes carrying the cold oxygen to the areas in my base.  I put a granite statue under each of the cold air vents, it gets cold eventually and radiates that cold out.  Once the base is cold, I usually get rid of the bottom air lock so that the CO2 can go down.  Once your base is hot, it's harder to fix it. I'd grab some wheezies out of a cold biome and put them in your hottest areas ASAP, and start building insulated tiles all around your perimeter with vacuum walls if you are next to a hot biome, then get your oxygen very cold, then start moving all your hot buildings down to the bottom of your base.  Good luck!

Archived