Vortex Cloak need a buff.

The item is strong in paper but it has too much downside

-20 Sanity drop is too much you will get insane fast especially if you are fighting boss and more shadow creature will spawn, and remainder that the cloak Doesn't absorb shadow creature damage.

The item is almost can't be used as backpack with the sanity drain and even funny thing that backpack perk seems downside because you can't put it in your inventory you are forced wear it and suffering the -20 sanity if you want to move it anywhere.

Backpack perk is very gimmicky perk overall, it is really pointless perk with the current huge sanity drain, i don't it mind getting removed, it   outshadowed by Krampus sack in the mid/late game anyway.

———————-

My suggestion:

- Allow us to toggle between storage access and armor, you can put it in your inventory if you toggle it to armor but it will drop all item that stored inside and it will not drop sanity if you are not using as backpack.

- Reduce the sanity drain to -6.67 same with tam it will make it usable as backpack and with sanity drop downside.

20 minutes ago, Namelessgamer said:

Really how do use it without getting insane?

Play as Maxwell.

Or use it in short bursts with a ton of cactus and/or ice cream. But I feel like it's better to use a Night Armor at that point.

The Vortex Cloak has 450hp and 100% dmg absorption while it may looks great you can run out pretty fast in a face-tank situation. Night Armor has 750hp for 95% dmg absorption it last longer and you only take 5% dmg from it. It is way more cost efficient since it takes 20 nightmare fuel and 100 sanity to go from 0hp to 450hp on the Cloak. You can make 4 armors for that price.

I can only really see the Cloak as useful for Maxwell. Even him seems to agree :

It's like it was tailored just for me.

–Maxwell

23 minutes ago, SouthTom said:

-snip-                                            

I don’t want it to be only usable for 1/17 characters if the roster, it should be usable for all characters or at least half of them.

And all sanity regeneration you mentioned exist in RoG while the item in Hamlet.

43 minutes ago, SouthTom said:

Play as Maxwell.

Or use it in short bursts with a ton of cactus and/or ice cream.

The Hamlet DLC made it so easy to deal high damage from a safe distance :

- blow darts from the ruins or the shop

- coconade from the shop

- the blunderbuss that turns all the boss battles in a one minute perfect ko (sounds overpowered, but just a little less tricky than the basic gunpowder stack + fire staff to be honest)

- the staffs or mandrake if really you want to play it really really safe

So, I just see the vortex cloak as a safe guard from a failed dodge while using these items. Not a tanking armor, apart for mighty Wolfgang that I suppose would make it worth it as he quickly farms nightmare fuel. 

100% protection from an armor that you can easily repair and that has 8 inventory to store items such as mandrake, gunpowder, blunderbuss, lantern, whatever you want / feel like you would need in an emergency case from an incoming boss battle makes it in my opinion a really good item that you won't use for more than 2 minutes in a row anyway. Honestly, I feel like cheating when using the blunderbuss, but when I also put the vortex cloak it is like a godmode.

But personally, I prefer to see it as an alternative way to raid ruins, as it combines armor and basic backpack. Use a cowl or moggles, have some nightmare fuel and cooked green mushrooms and basically even with a lot of inadvertance you will not die in the most trapped room of the world.

For the rest of the time, I just use the Krampus sack as I don't need any armor.

38 minutes ago, Caochu said:

100% protection from an armor that you can easily repair

It’s really not, you need 20 nightmare fuel to fully repair it from 1% to 100%, mean you need to kill 10-15 nightmare creature to get it which require too much time, so it’s not really strong.

I don’t know about blunderbass considering that gunpowder isn’t easy to get in hamlet like in RoG.

5 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

I just kill them

No different from the usuall wood chopping with Plant boi

So you are using it to farm nightmare fuel? that good but that not the intended use for it, if i want to farm fuel i will just eat green mushroom other than fighting hard boss.

Maybe we will see more new interaction with this item once there is full content. A lot of things can change and the cloak might suddenly become the most needed item for example to deal with some new content 

52 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Maybe we will see more new interaction with this item once there is full content. A lot of things can change and the cloak might suddenly become the most needed item for example to deal with some new content 

Hamlet is to release later today, whatever is on the beta branch right now is more or less what is coming out. Other than fixes, I don't expect anymore content during today's release.

Yeah but they still do changes after the DLC release.

BTW anyone know how to get rid of backpack perk? make it only usable only as armor so I can store it my inventory

I tried to edit it with myself but it doesn't work and the game crash :/

the item is pretty much night armor v2 but pointless. it only protects you for 5% more damage you take, has less durability than night armor (same as logsuit) and once you completely depleted it's durability you can refuel it with nmf worth 4 new night armors.

idk but if you don't usually use night armor because of it's natural sanity drainage, you'll find no use for the cloak either. imho just use the night armor and do armor stacking with a pig hat. it's good enough for single player and the arcane will sell you new armors for a very cheap price.

i don't get the point of bone armor in dst either when 80% protection from a wig helm or pig hat generally is good enough to protect yourself from most hazards. and for boss fights i could bring a marble suit for some good tanking in damage.

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Hamlet is to release later today, whatever is on the beta branch right now is more or less what is coming out. Other than fixes, I don't expect anymore content during today's release.

How do you know that?

21 hours ago, SouthTom said:

Play as Maxwell.

Or use it in short bursts with a ton of cactus and/or ice cream. But I feel like it's better to use a Night Armor at that point.

The Vortex Cloak has 450hp and 100% dmg absorption while it may looks great you can run out pretty fast in a face-tank situation. Night Armor has 750hp for 95% dmg absorption it last longer and you only take 5% dmg from it. It is way more cost efficient since it takes 20 nightmare fuel and 100 sanity to go from 0hp to 450hp on the Cloak. You can make 4 armors for that price.

I can only really see the Cloak as useful for Maxwell. Even him seems to agree :

It's like it was tailored just for me.

–Maxwell

yes i agree . its worthless !

armor : bone armor > night armor > vortex cloak

and about backpack perk , you can just use "bundling wraps" !

vortex cloak seriously need a buff because it is "ANCIENT HERALD" drop , so its must be valuable like fuelweaver drop.

6 hours ago, Ham3d said:

yes i agree . its worthless !

armor : bone armor > night armor > vortex cloak

and about backpack perk , you can just use "bundling wraps" !

vortex cloak seriously need a buff because it is "ANCIENT HERALD" drop , so its must be valuable like fuelweaver drop.

Then again, herald spawns almost every day 

Well he got some kind of a buff in [Game Update] - 336897

• The Vortex cloak doesn’t drain sanity constantly now, instead it does sanity damage to the character relative to how much damage it absorbs.

But he is still moderately usable :/

1 hour ago, SomeOddGuy said:

Well he got some kind of a buff in [Game Update] - 336897

• The Vortex cloak doesn’t drain sanity constantly now, instead it does sanity damage to the character relative to how much damage it absorbs.

But he is still moderately usable :/

It's actually very useful now, you DON"T get stunned by any attack, even when when it hit 0% you still immune to stun

So... most of good things in don't starve are created with Nightmare Fuel for me being insane is not so bad (only when your life is under 50). 

And Vortex Cloak provides 100% of freaking damage absorb FREAKING HUNDRED DAMAGE ABSORB.

So the Vortex Cloak don't need Buff or Nerf for me is good but your opinion is different and i can't change it.

But maybe this will change it.

1 hour ago, goatzi_games said:

So... most of good things in don't starve are created with Nightmare Fuel for me being insane is not so bad (only when your life is under 50). 

And Vortex Cloak provides 100% of freaking damage absorb FREAKING HUNDRED DAMAGE ABSORB.

So the Vortex Cloak don't need Buff or Nerf for me is good but your opinion is different and i can't change it.

But maybe this will change it.

You are too late, i posted this before they buff it, so it’s no longer a bad item.

Archived