What would you like to see in the Woodie refresh?

On 5/14/2019 at 7:30 PM, RETAKEREPLAY said:

I personally love the current DST Woodie, I'd always pick Woodie even at his current state, he's generally a fun character for me to play, never tried Woodie on the singleplayer version so I couldn't relate to other ds/dst players. However, I'd think it would be an interesting mechanic that as a lumberjack, he should be able to benefit more on wood collecting, maybe have a different drop rate when chopping trees, since all the characters can only gather 4 logs with a full grown tree, give Woodie more power on the collecting part would make him a little more benefitial to a team without Maxwell.(since I could spend hours upon hours just chopping trees because I find gathering as Woodie relaxing lol)

Maybe giving a little more specialized tools would be interesting to see, being able to create better axes and shovels for others would be awesome (Albeit not very important, but still a thought) ,being able to last longer than golden tools? (Would that be too op or not fitting his character?)

Woodies beaver form and Lucy should still be the main attraction to his kit, after reading a couple of replies on here, it seems that everyone would like to see a tough beaver, I think it would be cool but since Woodie always struck me as a gatherer, retaining his current playstyle seems to be fine for me, (especially since not all characters must have a fighting attribute but being able to be useful in their respective way) but having his beaver form be able to gather more effieciently might be helpful, his sanity "problem" while in beaver form was always a little tough to get through, especially when no ones around to help you kill nightmares or tree guards, so giving him more tanky attributes while in beaver in this regard might be helpful, loosing sanity while in beaver form in general isn't really a bad thing, since his beaver form is supposedly a curse, it makes sense that Lucy and Woodie wouldn't be happy during his transformed state and I personally think being able to gather nightmare fuel early on would be helpful.

Lucy on the other hand, I think she's good as she is, she's a sentient unbreaking axe that cares about Woodie, what more could you want?

Woodies pine cone, twiggy tree cone and birchnut planting is pretty good in it's self, gaining 5 sanity per cone planted, so I think keeping this mechanic is fine (While everyone is out hunting and exploring, I'll be gathering and planting for god knows when, just assume there wouldn't be a chest un-filled with logs).

I do think that his befriending ability doesn't really make sense to me, having longer befriend time than others since I never really befriend pigs and such, but it depends with the other Woodie players out there.

Since Woodie seems to be very well versed in wood-ology, why not let him be able to craft wooden furnitures without a science machine / alchemy engine, let him be able to build chests(maybe even a better chest?), signs, minisigns, wardrobe, or give him some wood carving abilities, like carved wooden bear or deer statues. (It wouldn't really impact the gameplay but it would make me happy while I spend the next hour chopping and shoveling wood) Maybe giving him some personalised furnitures would be pretty neat, I just imagine him being able to craft wooden appliances.

Those are my thoughts on Woodies refresh, not really the best but I personally think Woodie is pretty good already.

Side note, can't wait to have new foods in DST! I want some poutine :D

Thanks for reading, loving the current updates and looking forward for the new ones to come! 

i used to love maining woody for a time but eventually the forced beaver form every 20  days and the cost for chopping wood fast wasnt worth the amount actually gathered... as for pinecone planting i loved that as a new player but its actually rather difficult managing tree planting and mass gathering NMF :( LUCY also drives me completely insane now >_< she might actually be worse than the insanity noises 

* Woodie should be able to eat logs, pinecones, {and twigs?} for moderate hunger restoration. 
* Maybe trees planted by Woodie grow slightly faster? Enough to make him a viable tree farmer character. 
* Werebeaver mode should have much better stats and not spawn nightmares until reversion to human. 
* Lucy upgrades - Obsidian, Moon Glass, and Thulecite coatings / gem faceting, requiring advanced stations to make and revert.  
* Maybe add the throwing mechanic from The Forge to Lucy? 
* WereWoodie should be able to give other players a ride. After all, Woodie promised. 
* Beavers can swim, so Werebeaver Woodie should be able to do so too. Maybe tie in with the previous idea as a water mount? 
* Wood statues and wooden item reskins would be great. 
* Let WereWoodie retrieve Glommer 2019! 

58 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

ok we all have the same sorta desire for the swimming beaver lets elaborate on that!

Agreed. I think he should swim fast. Way faster than the boat and walking. I think he should not take wetness while in the water (or rain). (these two because real beavers are fast and their coats are water resistant). The beaver won't turn back into Woodie while swimming. To keep this from getting too OP, after a while he should start to loose hunger faster than normal. One he gets into land he immediately turns back into Woodie (unless there's still time left on the beaver meter). Those would be my immediate thoughts.

11 minutes ago, X-lem said:

The beaver won't turn back into Woodie while swimming. To keep this from getting too OP, after a while he should start to loose hunger faster than normal. One he gets into land he immediately turns back into Woodie (unless there's still time left on the beaver meter).

what if since there's driftwood make it lower the wood bar when swimming and swimming makes you gain wood bar so you have to keep in beaver mode by searching for logs or you'll turn back and drown or act like you just abandoned ship

In beaver form: equippable helmets, (if bunnyman and pigs can wear helmet then why not?) accessible inventory in beaver form like Wilba does, can use some vegetable food for healing, can swim,and some extra emotes, /happy would be nice like bunny man does. In new biomes he joins to Carpenters The Thing collection and feels bad anyways

In human form: can throw Lucy like in forge did but axe does not flies back she stays there where was thrown good for distracting and looks good.

Good Ol' Woodie.
/Already in the game, Woodie gets 45% insulation thanks to his beautiful red beard. (Let's lower that to 35% more information later.) The only time this doesn't take place is when he's wet.
/While cutting down trees, Woodie gets an additional log whilst using his trusty axe, Lucy. (Up to 5 logs if you uproot the stump.)
/Every time you cut down a tree using a crafted axe, you will lose -10 sanity followed by a phrase similar to: "It's not the same."
/Planting trees will give you +5 sanity, like it currently is.
/Woodie does less damage with Lucy.
/Woodie loses sanity after his curse lifts.

Wood Eatin' Woodie.
/Eating wood is now 10% more effective at raising your beaver-meter, but planting trees lowers it. (-5)
/Additionally, Woodie has hay fever, right? If this is correct, Woodie loses -1 health (or sanity) every grass eaten.

Werebeaver Woodie.
/If the beaver-meter lowers to 25%, or on full moons, the we
rebeaver comes out to play.
/The Werebeaver cannot equip anything.

/Cutting down trees raises your beaver-meter by 10 points, but eating logs raises it by 20 points. (Only in this form.)
/As the Werebeaver, Woodie is 50% resistant to the cold, but overheats faster.
/The Werebeaver does 30% more damage, and is 40% more resistant to damage by any other creature.
/As the Werebeaver, Woodie is resistant to wetness, and can swim.

Kinda went a bit overboard with the details, but some of them make sense right? Lemme know on your thoughts about my details :)

Just some ideas for Woodie refresh I have:

Carpentry: I guess this character could have some experience with this. It could come up in various ways:
- Starting with most wood related already recipes unlocked. Those early chests could be useful then everyone is just starting out, exploring and gathering stuff they find. No need to wait for rocks and that gold piece.
- Crafting recipes which use (living) logs need less of them. Even a 1 log discount per boards could be huge.

Axe making: Ability to make better axes then they are crafted by Woodie. While character themselves would not benefit from it, other player could. Then you are logging you can go through a lot axes. Boosting efficiency of activity by increasing durability or sharpness of crafted tool could be useful.

Forestry: Idea for a new action Woodie could perform on trees then wielding an axe, called - cultivate. Then "cultivated" tree grows to its maximum size, it will stay this way from now on. This could be useful in wood farming and for cosmetic reasons. Alternatively, cultivate action is available to all but Woodie can perform it faster and without cost to tools durabilty.

3 minutes ago, Radax3 said:

Carpentry: I guess this character could have some experience with this. It could come up in various ways:
- Starting with most wood related already recipes unlocked. Those early chests could be useful then everyone is just starting out, exploring and gathering stuff they find. No need to wait for rocks and that gold piece.
- Crafting recipes which use (living) logs need less of them. Even a 1 log discount per boards could be huge.

This is an amazing idea. Some might say it trespasses on the territory of Winona or Wickerbottom for crafting but by this point Woodie needs huge buffs to be considered viable again and break the stigma. Early wood structures would make quite a tempting option. 

16 hours ago, Ploosh said:

Good Ol' Woodie.
/Already in the game, Woodie gets 45% insulation thanks to his beautiful red beard. (Let's lower that to 35% more information later.) The only time this doesn't take place is when he's wet.
/While cutting down trees, Woodie gets an additional log whilst using his trusty axe, Lucy. (Up to 5 logs if you uproot the stump.)
/Every time you cut down a tree using a crafted axe, you will lose -10 sanity followed by a phrase similar to: "It's not the same."
/Planting trees will give you +5 sanity, like it currently is.
/Woodie does less damage with Lucy.
/Woodie loses sanity after his curse lifts.

Wood Eatin' Woodie.
/Eating wood is now 10% more effective at raising your beaver-meter, but planting trees lowers it. (-5)
/Additionally, Woodie has hay fever, right? If this is correct, Woodie loses -1 health (or sanity) every grass eaten.

Werebeaver Woodie.
/If the beaver-meter lowers to 25%, or on full moons, the we
rebeaver comes out to play.
/The Werebeaver cannot equip anything.

/Cutting down trees raises your beaver-meter by 10 points, but eating logs raises it by 20 points. (Only in this form.)
/As the Werebeaver, Woodie is 50% resistant to the cold, but overheats faster.
/The Werebeaver does 30% more damage, and is 40% more resistant to damage by any other creature.
/As the Werebeaver, Woodie is resistant to wetness, and can swim.

Kinda went a bit overboard with the details, but some of them make sense right? Lemme know on your thoughts about my details :)

imo id love for the amount of wood woody has to eat in order to stay out of beaver mode to be reduced by like 80 (in order to really stockpile wood instead of eating half of your hard work) and I'm really digging that extra log idea 

if possible id love for woody to be able to to a spin attack to one shot trees in a small aoe zone in order to somewhat compete with maxwell at least a bit .-. 

Archived