[Game Update] - 329526

Coffee is fair because everyone can use it (but Wigfrid, but oh well). Including Wheeler. Raw speed boost for character seems more unfair and unbalanced and I don't get why some people can't see the difference. Coffee makes game easier, sure, but for everyone (heh, silly viking).

I'd see WX more OP than coffee in this manner, if anything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maslak said:

Coffee is fair because everyone can use it (but Wigfrid, but oh well). Including Wheeler. Raw speed boost for character seems more unfair and unbalanced and I don't get why some people can't see the difference. Coffee makes game easier, sure, but for everyone (heh, silly viking).

I'd see WX more OP than coffee in this manner, if anything.

Have u played wheeler after the update? 5% raw speed boost is barely noticeable and she has only 12 slots..

Her basic inventory is gonna get full pretty fast.

Realistically speaking u can use the advantage of inv speed boost in boss fights.. That's it

Edited by FreyaMaluk

8 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

As a Wilbur main I'm extremely surprised that nobody has brought him up yet. Wilbur gets a massive 33% speed boost after walking for 3 seconds, with the only downside being that outside of running, you move 8.3% slower than normal. Granted, the walking speed penalty does make a real difference in kiting and walking small distances, as well as boating, but other than that he essentially does everything 33% faster.

Don't Starve has always been a time management game, and the faster you can get around, the more time you will have.

Well, Wilbur has to walk for a little bit before he gets a speed boost, which makes it impractical for kiting things. It also doesnā€™t work on boats, he actually moves slower than everyone on a boat.Ā 

With a flat speed boost you can be fast when attacking which people say breaks the game since the attack period of monsters accounts for player speeds being slow.

• Like 2

It's literally five percent people.

coffee increases speed by around 83% for 4 minutes

the walking cane which many swear by and probably never leave a later game player's inventory is 25% and it never breaks

the stalking stick is a 30% boost and relatively simple1 to get in comparison to the walking cane

it's not even hard to get coffee beans in hamlet if you have a few oincs to spare, since it can be bought from the spa. Butter can be farmed if the suburbs of your hamlet world get one of those flower farms.

It just doesn't make sense to me. The walking cane is five times wheeler's boost and lasts forever to boot. And if you try to claim "But it takes up your equip slot!" did you forget pretty much everyone who uses the cane to kite quickswaps? It's barely different.

Ā 

1Logistics-wise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The changes are nice. I don't like 2Ā changes, but "We Are Never Satisfied" TM. I don't like the inventory loss (inventory management is simply boring, as much as a "skill" it is), and I don't like the art change (I preferred her more depressed, it gives her a more "don't starvy" look, because you know, almost all characters have a gloomy look). For the first one I just have to adapt (I guess), and the second one is not really bad at all (I mean, it doesn't change how she plays, which is the important part). But I am glad she got her health reduced and her pew-matic nerfed.

Her speed bonus could still use a little tweak IMO: instead of having inherent 5% speed boost and getting +1% per empty inventory slot, she could have inherent 15% speed boost, but get -1% per filled inventory slot (including backpacks and other containers); but the character cannot get to 0.8Ā speed multiplier (or -20% speed boost) from this. That way it becomes more likeĀ a faustian bargain, the player isĀ encouraged to travel light in order to take advantage of the speed boost, but discourages theĀ use of ever so usefulĀ backpacks.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:15 AM, oCrapaCreeper said:

I see they're holding their ground on the speed boost, which I think is fine.

People talked about the speed boost like itā€™s theĀ devil but fail to acknowledge the existence off Coffee,Ā which isĀ 10 times more broken, very easy to farm and can be transplanted to any world, doesnā€™t require equipping anything,Ā and can be used by nearly every character (rip wigfrid). It can also stacked with other speed boosts and lets you zoom across the map in a mere minute and out-kite anything in the game. Yet remarkably, this is okay, but not a character with a 5% speed increase and giant inventory downside that most people probably won't play her because of. Hypocritical much? The only hard part about using coffee is finding the Volcano, and even then you can just hop into shipwrecked on a full moon night and the Rainbow Jellyfish will lead you right to it.

If you're just now admitting that fast speed is too powerful and want to nerf it, you're 3 years late. But I can only imagine the outcry there would be if Coffee got nerfed like it should have years ago.

People have been mentioning how "evil" speed boost is since charged WX and coffee, heck, maybe since walking cane. It is nothing new really. Some even have asked for a slight nerf for coffee.

Plus coffee is something you have to get, she gets free 5% speed boost that she can utilize for kiting (unlike Wilbur who needs to walk for a while to get it, and he loses hunger akin to the amount of speed boost he gets), and then she can get 12% more speed through empty inventory (something many are disregarding when saying "5% is not noticeable", well, 10% is noticeable and you get that from just 5 empty inventory slots). And then, to make it even better: she can use coffee, tea, walking cane, and all other methods of speed boost. She is among the 3 best kiters (the others being charged WX, and full-belly Wolfgang), but her condition is easier to fulfill AND maintain thanĀ the other 2; and she has dodge. There is a good reason people are calling out that speed boost.

• Like 1

Ā 

On ā€Ž29ā€Ž/ā€Ž04ā€Ž/ā€Ž2019 at 9:09 PM, Pop Guy said:

Now it looks very good. The concept of glass cannon remains, if less extreme than I had assumedĀ :D

I agree, This is how she should be potrayed. She is decent with the updates now though :)Ā 

• Like 4

I'm not interested in getting into the actual argument here, but...

13 hours ago, engiSonic said:

it's not even hard to get coffee beans in hamlet if you have a few oincs to spare, since it can be bought from the spa. Butter can be farmed if the suburbs of your hamlet world get one of those flower farms.

...does anyone useĀ butterĀ for coffee? I can't imagine sitting around farming butter for coffee when you could simply use 4 coffee beans, or 3 beans and 1 honey.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I'm not interested in getting into the actual argument here, but...

...does anyone useĀ butterĀ for coffee? I can't imagine sitting around farming butter for coffee when you could simply use 4 coffee beans, or 3 beans and 1 honey.

I've tried coffee with honey (kinda obvious), maple syrup, cinnamon and other stuff, but never butter, haha.

For real though, yeah, no one uses butter. The person probably made a mistake or doesn't know much what they're talking about. Either honey or 4th bean, that's the way.

• Like 3

Foolishly a week late to give my say but: Her new face design is great, however I still feel weird about her ears.

Basically I think she'd look better as something like this mock up I made (but of course with the new face)

5cba7262ddaf5_WheelerPortraitdiffexample.png.6db41cfbd9aa281801637ee386b86eaf.png

• Like 4