[POLL] PvP rebalance interest

PvP rebalance interest poll  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested at all in PvP mode?

2. 2. Which game mode do you play more often?

3. 3. Would you like a comprehensive update that focuses on PvP combat after the character rebalance update?

4. 4. How urgently do you thing the devs should focus on fixing PvE vs PvP modes?

• Focus on fixing PvE first
    • Focus on fixing PvP first
    • Focus on fixing PvE and PvP at the same time

6 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

I'm slightly interested in PvP, but I don't know why everybody talks about it so much. I don't see how PvP could really fit in DST. It doesn't sound very fun, and I haven't really tried it.

the consensus seems to be

- it's only fun when players are full of interesting gear and abilities and mounts

- it never lasts long enough to reach that phase

- with how everybody runs at the same speed and you need to stand still to do hits, you can just run away forever from your attacker which is silly

- always end up in 5 wigfrids rushing the glommer flute

- whoever has no grass loses

1 minute ago, Hell-met said:

- with how everybody runs at the same speed and you need to stand still to do hits, you can just run away forever from your attacker which is silly

Exactly! How can PvP be fun in a game where everybody runs and hits the same and the fighting style is kiting?

In my opinion, DS was born to be just a PvE game.
Maybe if we had some events, balanced and built for the PvP idea, that would work better and would be fun.
But for the default game, I don't like it.

40 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

Exactly! How can PvP be fun in a game where everybody runs and hits the same and the fighting style is kiting?

Maybe the fight mechanics from Forge could come to good use in this respect. They already exist, seems like a waste for Klei to let them perish to time's oblivion, more so if Forge won't come back anymore. People mentioned this before: coupling Wilderness mode with PvP Forge dynamics could be quite a successful way to go into shaping the competitive DST game-play post ANR2. Would also be easier to balance without substantial nerfs (and almost no backlash from player-base) if current Winona trend keeps going: leveling up characters to the "Holy DST Trinity" tier.

Arena or events-type scenarios seem a bit too restrictive imo, better large scale options be available. Well depends on many factors. We will see.

Just now, x0VERSUS1y said:

Maybe the fight mechanics from Forge could come to good use in this respect. They already exist, seems like a waste for Klei to let them perish to time's oblivion, more so if Forge won't come back anymore. People mentioned this before: coupling Wilderness mode with PvP Forge dynamics could be quite a successful way to go into shaping the competitive DST game-play post ANR2. Would also be easier to balance without substantial nerfs (and almost no backlash from player-base) if current Winona trend keeps going: leveling up characters to the "Holy DST Trinity" tier.

Arena or events-type scenarios seem a bit too restrictive imo, better large scale options be available. Well depends on many factors. We will see.

I really don't want to start yet another argument about PvP, but I still honestly don't see how that could work. What exactly do you mean by the fight mechanics from forge? I haven't played it, but don't you still run the same speed, and therefore could forever runaway from other players?(I really don't want to turn this into a heated argument, I'm just confused about your post.)

1 hour ago, reverentsatyr said:

I'm slightly interested in PvP, but I don't know why everybody talks about it so much. I don't see how PvP could really fit in DST. It doesn't sound very fun, and I haven't really tried it.

If you haven't tried it, then how can you say it's not fun? I personally find it to be a very different experience from the casual PvE, and that difference is a breath of fresh air at times, especially when PvE is the same and has been the same for quite some time now. I would say give PvP a try sometime, but at its current state I would understand why some would be put off with the idea of PvP.

18 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I said this all along.. A very small part of the player base don't want or care for PvP.. I hope this data helps the devs to clarify things

I'm a bit confused here. It could simply be an issue with your wording, but you're saying that a very small part of the player base doesn't want or care about PvP. Does that mean that the majority does care about PvP? As for the poll itself, though it does gather some data, it doesn't gather all data, and I know that the latter is impossible to achieve, but by only taking into account what forumers think, you're excluding a large proportion of players who don't use the forums for varying reasons such as being belittle or shunned for having a conflicting opinion.

11 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Maybe we should focus on game development such as updates first and then focus on pvp klei already has a **** ton of stuff to do and you pvp thirsty noobs only want more

By definition, working on a PvE update or a PvP update would still be... an update. As for saying what should be done and what Klei has on their table, I wouldn't be that bold as to say that for certainty Klei is overloaded with work. Their teams are divided quite nicely from my understanding of how they advertise their company, and I have always had faith in Klei to manage making great content for their games, and PvP in DST shouldn't be an exception. I don't know what you mean by "pvp thirsty noobs" but if you had a bad time during past PvP experiences, a PvP update would probably be for the better on your end, but feel free to correct me on that point. I'm not sure why PvP should always have such a bad connotation when it really is a fun and vastly different gamemode from the usual base building, not to say that one is good and one is not because in the end they're all great. This is just a matter of adding polish on a game with potential to really shine.

2 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

If you haven't tried it, then how can you say it's not fun? I personally find it to be a very different experience from the casual PvE, and that difference is a breath of fresh air at times, especially when PvE is the same and has been the same for quite some time now. I would say give PvP a try sometime, but at its current state I would understand why some would be put off with the idea of PvP.

Just to rephrase what I've said, I have tried PvP once or twice, but I didn't find it fun because people were probably just gathering resources because the world was new. Also, It's really hard to find a PvP world on xbox. I would like to actually try PvP at least once.

9 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

I'm a bit confused here. It could simply be an issue with your wording, but you're saying that a very small part of the player base doesn't want or care about PvP. Does that mean that the majority does care about PvP? As for the poll itself, though it does gather some data, it doesn't gather all data, and I know that the latter is impossible to achieve, but by only taking into account what forumers think, you're excluding a large proportion of players who don't use the forums for varying reasons such as being belittle or shunned for having a conflicting opinion.

By definition, working on a PvE update or a PvP update would still be... an update. As for saying what should be done and what Klei has on their table, I wouldn't be that bold as to say that for certainty Klei is overloaded with work. Their teams are divided quite nicely from my understanding of how they advertise their company, and I have always had faith in Klei to manage making great content for their games, and PvP in DST shouldn't be an exception. I don't know what you mean by "pvp thirsty noobs" but if you had a bad time during past PvP experiences, a PvP update would probably be for the better on your end, but feel free to correct me on that point. I'm not sure why PvP should always have such a bad connotation when it really is a fun and vastly different gamemode from the usual base building, not to say that one is good and one is not because in the end they're all great. This is just a matter of adding polish on a game with potential to really shine.

Because most people that play pvp are noobs that fight in groups because they're bad

There's no way to fix pvp if people will just go in groups and destroy everything like a goddamn tank just a waste of time

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

most people that play pvp are inteligent enough to fight in herds to furthermore use the bad stunning mechanic.

You mean like audi and his group that stood at spawn waiting for people to spawnkill them?

2 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

There's no way to fix pvp if people will just go in groups and destroy everything like a goddamn tank just a waste of time

You mean like audi and his group that stood at spawn waiting for people to spawnkill them?

and this is why pvp either needs to be removed/changed.

2 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

All pvp servers are dead

Have you considered why that is? PvP as it is right now is an unrefined mess. The gamemode has potential to be a very exciting gamemode with slight tweaks here and there, and these tweaks could also benefit PvE, not just PvP.

2 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

Just to rephrase what I've said, I have tried PvP once or twice, but I didn't find it fun because people were probably just gathering resources because the world was new. Also, It's really hard to find a PvP world on xbox. I would like to actually try PvP at least once.

I understand what you mean. I believe PvP is never actually specified as to what it means when making a world, so some hosts just flip it on for the sake of having more options on, without knowing what PvP means. A remedy for this would be to reword it to Player versus Player or have text appear after hovering over PvP to further explain what it means.

3 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

There are more people that care about pve than pvp that means klei should prioritize these people more

Once again, this is only taking the poll's votes into account, which is as I've stated excluding a majority of players who don't use the forums. To jump to such a conclusion and then propose the developers to act upon the views of only the active forumers can damage DST in the long run.

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

It was... I meant to say there is little interest... Edited 

Just let the data talk.. I don't have anything else to say

I apologise, but I can't just let the data talk because the data can very well be biased, and when considering what should be done for a game, or for anything in life really, bias should be excluded when making such decisions. 

3 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Because most people that play pvp are noobs that fight in groups because they're bad

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

most people that play pvp are inteligent enough to fight in herds to furthermore use the bad stunning mechanic.

Just now, _Ellat_ said:

This further enforces my point that you probably had a bad time in PvP. Once again, you're talking about PvP as it is now, which of course has its flaws. I'm saying that if there were some tweaks done to PvP, you might not run into these same problems and might actually enjoy the gamemode. As for having to fight groups, I'm not sure if in your circumstance it's difficult to make friends, but I have personally met a lot of my friends from PvP games in the past, back when it was booming with players (Strictly Unprofessional PvP back when it was hosting 42/45 players).

I had a good time in pvp as well as bad time in pvp If klei wants to change pvp it will also have influence on pve 

How is 1 player supposed to go against multiple ones theres NO way to fix that better delete it or leave it as it is so it can die

Or just give characters in pvp a trait like "self defense" that makes them attack players that are in sight so they cant work together on pvp

But it would also ruin 2 v 2 pvp so Idk delete pvp or smhtn

Just now, _Ellat_ said:

I had a good time in pvp as well as bad time in pvp If klei wants to change pvp it will also have influence on pve 

That's what people seem to be worried about, and it doesn't have to be for the worse. There can very well be influences in PvP that can also make PvE better, fighting mechanics to name a few. This is potential content that people are wanting to exclude because they think that it'll be bad, which I think is a bad mindset to have in general, and there's always room for improvement. Refer to the QoL update for DS that was a train wreck at first, but that eventually got fixed. We just need to give the developers time, and I'm willing to give that to them.

7 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

I missed this quote in your previous post, and I'm not sure what time you are referring to, if this was in an actual PvP-oriented server (not just a random server with the PvP setting enabled), and if this was recent or not. Either way, this is another concern that can be addressed when changing PvP, which I very much encourage you to do. Any input is helpful, so long as it's not just emotional outbursts.

Archived