[POLL] PvP rebalance interest

PvP rebalance interest poll  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested at all in PvP mode?

2. 2. Which game mode do you play more often?

3. 3. Would you like a comprehensive update that focuses on PvP combat after the character rebalance update?

4. 4. How urgently do you thing the devs should focus on fixing PvE vs PvP modes?

• Focus on fixing PvE first
    • Focus on fixing PvP first
    • Focus on fixing PvE and PvP at the same time

Just now, Hatano Eichero said:

I don't even know anymore, I'm confused and uh

Yeah I'm just gonna move on from this thread.

I was confused too cuz u said edit.. But u didn't say which comment u meant.. Don't make this a bigger deal than it is.. 

The fact is: people take everything personally.

We can all interpret things differently according to our ideas.
But this should not be taken seriously here, in a place where we should discuss amicably about what we think for a game that everyone likes here.

1 hour ago, Trenix said:

But what we learned from the statistics are exactly what most of us told you from the beginning...

• Despite the vast majority of players playing PvE, they are interested in a PvP "mode".

33% interested people in the PvP mode is still a respectable percentage demanding attention even with a rather very small sample (yet I suppose it wouldn't fluctuate dramatically on a larger number, probably +/-[5;10]). And you also have a 25% of "indifferent"-people category at the moment that theoretically can undergo conversion - me included, as am in this group but would give a reworked-and-interesting PvP system a chance, out of curiosity, more flavor and with friends ofc. If I for one would have made the pools I would've also emphasized the "re-worked PvP" aspect to maybe reflect better "what it should be desired" aka something clearly better than the current state of affairs.

Regarding the teams proposal, or alliances to be precise, there could be the option via check-mark (let's say each player has a check-mark space in front of their nickname while pressing TAB) to ally oneself with others akin Age of Empires II system for example if I remember correctly - when both players checked one another, alliance formed. Ofc you can also betray your "partner(s) in crime" unchecking at any time, maybe without the knowing of your ex-ally just to spice up game-play. (small suggestion)

1 hour ago, Wilson_pl said:

are often... severly (or mildly)... intoxicated.

These kinds of people always worry me a little bit.

Well ol' chap, I am right now mildly intoxicated ty ... and think you confused the words and meanings. As intoxicated usually signifies drunk or "gettin' jiggy wit' da booze" ;)

Don't think them PvPlayers are drunk when playin' ...but then again I might be wrong *looks at oneself while wobbly playing DST right now*

But yes, you should be worried, I might get out for more booze.. via car :D

It's a real shame, there was room for good discussion in here (not just saying that because of my posts :^) ) 

And there still is room for discussion if people start discussing the subject matter instead of the thread overall! I don't think this topic is dead just yet.

What about characters that spawn with items? Do you think they should have them when PvP is enabled? When I played PvP you'd find lighters, battle spears, spider nests and so on and so forth all over the place. Really makes the dark not an issue in the slightest when you're always within 5ft of a lighter. Also spiders. Both probably real facts.

In my opinion I think characters shouldn't spawn with their items in PvP. Most of the time they're easy to craft or unnecessary to early game survival.

imagine if suggestions or modding help threads had this much attention. Would be wonderful.

I think I'm gonna throw a hot take here : pvp is only attractive to organized groups trying to feed off "ragequits". Separately PvP has zero appeal, but when you bring your own circle of discord buddies to monopolize a world and bully newcomers I imagine it's a wonderful experience. If 30% of the playerbase is into this then so be it. Surely that means 30% of the playerbase is trolls and griefers and that seems about right. Somehow our blue hedgehog friend strikes to me as the sort of person into this thing.

I'd like to see a PvP with goal, more like a mini-game in PvE mode at a random time. Such:

Hunt:
Players disputing who would be the first to find and capture an NPC animal (as a Koalefant).

Collect and build:
Players competing for resources to build a special tool for themselves that gives them advantages in the default game.

Cook:
Players compete for who can complete a menu with multiple recipes first (as gorge).

All this with improved mechanics, where each player on the server would need to meet small requirements before the main mission (collect resources, build items...).

2 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

33% interested people in the PvP mode is still a respectable percentage demanding attention even with a rather very small sample (yet I suppose it wouldn't fluctuate dramatically on a larger number, probably +/-[5;10]). And you also have a 25% of "indifferent"-people category at the moment that theoretically can undergo conversion - me included, as am in this group but would give a reworked-and-interesting PvP system a chance, out of curiosity, more flavor and with friends ofc. If I for one would have made the pools I would've also emphasized the "re-worked PvP" aspect to maybe reflect better "what it should be desired" aka something clearly better than the current state of affairs.

Regarding the teams proposal, or alliances to be precise, there could be the option via check-mark (let's say each player has a check-mark space in front of their nickname while pressing TAB) to ally oneself with others akin Age of Empires II system for example if I remember correctly - when both players checked one another, alliance formed. Ofc you can also betray your "partner(s) in crime" unchecking at any time, maybe without the knowing of your ex-ally just to spice up game-play. (small suggestion)

Well ol' chap, I am right now mildly intoxicated ty ... and think you confused the words and meanings. As intoxicated usually signifies drunk or "gettin' jiggy wit' da booze" ;)

Don't think them PvPlayers are drunk when playin' ...but then again I might be wrong *looks at oneself while wobbly playing DST right now*

But yes, you should be worried, I might get out for more booze.. via car :D

Some points were discussed like the panflute effect on players, which I think most agreed on agree some sort of mode that isn't related to dst... Probs like a forge arena.. Also more weapons to make combat more varied. the PvP group vs group was also another topic some people agreed on . Added to the special missions idea.. That might work pretty well with a group vs group scenario 

I might have forgotten some other points at the moment.. But that's pretty much the gist of it

this divide is kinda hard to navigate when people arent willing to listen to each other or to give ideas that are productive... 

I think PVP has a place... But isn't 2019... And that's important to get to avoid disappointment.. 

I mean.. I tried...

Also the notion that people might not care about PvP somehow is unacceptable to some people and I think this thread shows that some people just don't care for it.. Not because is broken.. Just because they don't... They play dst to play cooperatively 

Anyways I think it's all in all a first approach but we will have to wait and see

1 minute ago, Geeris said:

Cook:
Players compete for who can complete a menu with multiple recipes first (as gorge).

Oh hey that reminds me of the mod @PeterA made! 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410100011&searchtext=

which... became the gorge. Huh.

But that's a cool take on a different approach to PvP instead of it just being survival or combat focused! I like it. 

34 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

It's a real shame, there was room for good discussion in here (not just saying that because of my posts :^) ) 

And there still is room for discussion if people start discussing the subject matter instead of the thread overall! I don't think this topic is dead just yet.

What about characters that spawn with items? Do you think they should have them when PvP is enabled? When I played PvP you'd find lighters, battle spears, spider nests and so on and so forth all over the place. Really makes the dark not an issue in the slightest when you're always within 5ft of a lighter. Also spiders. Both probably real facts.

In my opinion I think characters shouldn't spawn with their items in PvP. Most of the time they're easy to craft or unnecessary to early game survival.

I don't think that the problem is really that special items spawn in PvP but more the need of a mode that doesn't have anything to do with normal PvE settings 

Maybe they should spawn already with some basic equipment... So it becomes a real arena... To the point of fighting... Cuz that's what people really want in PvP.. Just fight with each other.. 

I like your idea of special missions a lot... If PvP was group vs group with special mission will be interested to play.. But not as it is rn.. There has to be a serious rework. 

1 minute ago, Ashkain said:

Oh hey that reminds me of the mod @PeterA made! 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410100011&searchtext=

which... became the gorge. Huh.

But that's a cool take on a different approach to PvP instead of it just being survival or combat focused! I like it. 

Yeah! :D

I also really like the idea of a more solid PvP.
But I understand that it is a difficult implementation according to what we currently have in the game.

16 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Maybe they should spawn already with some basic equipment... So it becomes a real arena... To the point of fighting... Cuz that's what people really want in PvP.. Just fight with each other.. 

Then how about items just despawn when they're dropped? Cus my issue is that they kinda litter the map after a while and make a mess. I know, being neat is something I value highly in a no holding back bloodbath PvP server :^) But also cus it devalues the characters that do spawn with them exclusively. Why play as Willow to get the early game fire spec when I can just play literally any other character and grab one from the ground?

38 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Then how about items just despawn when they're dropped? Cus my issue is that they kinda litter the map after a while and make a mess. I know, being neat is something I value highly in a no holding back bloodbath PvP server :^) But also cus it devalues the characters that do spawn with them exclusively. Why play as Willow to get the early game fire spec when I can just play literally any other character and grab one from the ground?

Yeap... That's why I don't think a viable option to ask for perfect balance between characters.. They are very different and I haven't seen any concrete ideas on how to make them balanced to each other

That's why I suggested PvP group vs group.with linked groups you have coop elements and fights...  more like a bloothbad arena as u indicated 

And in a group vs group I don't think that it would be so many items on the floor.. Combat would be faster...

.. That's hard to know which things are disposable and which things aren't when u drop them on the floor.. Dunno 

19 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

I think I'm gonna throw a hot take here : pvp is only attractive to organized groups trying to feed off "ragequits". Separately PvP has zero appeal, but when you bring your own circle of discord buddies to monopolize a world and bully newcomers I imagine it's a wonderful experience. If 30% of the playerbase is into this then so be it. Surely that means 30% of the playerbase is trolls and griefers and that seems about right. Somehow our blue hedgehog friend strikes to me as the sort of person into this thing.

Elaborating on this. There are indeed some people that benefit from quickly snatching the pan flute , killing as many early players as they can and then leaving the server. This is an easily solved problem with tweaks to the pan flute, though.

The best experiences I had in PvP were when playing with friends who compromised with one another to fight when we agreed on a good time for it, without trying to spawn kill one another, and even avoiding some tactics we found scummy (sleep & walling the player right after, for example). This is what we managed due to the very shaky balance in the PvP mechanics right now.

Of course, this means that playing PvP with randoms when many are trying to play to the best of their ability and in a very optimal way, the inbalances rear their ugly head. I personally would like a PvP experience that I can enjoy with randoms and where I don't have to handicap myself to make it an enjoyable time for everyone.

17 minutes ago, Sketched_Philo said:

Elaborating on this. There are indeed some people that benefit from quickly snatching the pan flute , killing as many early players as they can and then leaving the server. This is an easily solved problem with tweaks to the pan flute, though.

The best experiences I had in PvP were when playing with friends who compromised with one another to fight when we agreed on a good time for it, without trying to spawn kill one another, and even avoiding some tactics we found scummy (sleep & walling the player right after, for example). This is what we managed due to the very shaky balance in the PvP mechanics right now.

Of course, this means that playing PvP with randoms when many are trying to play to the best of their ability and in a very optimal way, the inbalances rear their ugly head. I personally would like a PvP experience that I can enjoy with randoms and where I don't have to handicap myself to make it an enjoyable time for everyone.

Exactly.. But if there were linked PvP teams then the experience would be much more amicable and the focus would be protect the group VS the other group. 

I think the panflute and sleepily time story should probably need to be taken out of PvP in the first place.. 

Again.. A full rework.. new game mode, new weapons, probs new world gen.

Rn the game isn't really fit for it. 

Archived