Wheeler's downside is interesting, but I don't like it

I always enjoy having an excuse to wear a chest item over a backpack, but wheeler makes this much harder. I think her downside is very good and interesting, but it continues to support the backpack at all times meta. I'd rather have a new character that encourages players to wear belts of hunger, puffy vests, or rain coats. I do think there's a chance Wheeler will teach players what items are essentials (twigs, grass, gold, lantern) and what items could be left behind (logs, stones). However the less backpack reliance will only affect non-Wheeler characters.

A fellow user of chest items other than backpacks! I feel not using a backpack helps me manage my inventory when exploring, by mainly using the essentials. I definetely agree with this, maybe we could have a character that cannot wear chest armor at all at some point, I doubt it, but it would be cool. Wheeler is just impossible to play without a backpack, and her perks aent very good when they come at such a cost.

I think Wheeler's compass is the main thing that makes the inventory penalty so severe. It's just not that good a perk to balance it out; there are very few cases of rare resources scattered throughout the land. Usually, if you find one resource, there are going to be multiple of it nearby.

What if Wheeler's compass was reworked?

The compass still functions normally, but gets an extra benefit.

Place an item into the compass, then set it on the ground. The compass begins to float and glow (about one tile of light). The compass can be picked up at any time, but after 2 days it will reveal all sources of whatever item you put in (If you picked it up after one day, it would only show half. If you picked it up after 1.5 days, you would get 75% etc.). Once picked up, the locations of all the resources are shown on the map.

11 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

What if Wheeler's compass was reworked?

The compass still functions normally, but gets an extra benefit.

Place an item into the compass, then set it on the ground. The compass begins to float and glow (about one tile of light). The compass can be picked up at any time, but after 2 days it will reveal all sources of whatever item you put in (If you picked it up after one day, it would only show half. If you picked it up after 1.5 days, you would get 75% etc.). Once picked up, the locations of all the resources are shown on the map.

I think this is a great idea, but I'm a bit on the fence about the part about having to place it down. Two days is a long time to be tied to an item. And if you leave it, you might just end up on the other end of the map within two days and have to go all the way back to it. What if it worked like Abigail's Flower, where it charged in the inventory instead?

Maybe the devs encourages to use everything as ammo? Wheeler is not a hoarding character and requires more preparation for adventure. But psst, I don't like the downside, too, and hunting for relics for that type of character isn't really fitting.

53 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

I think this is a great idea, but I'm a bit on the fence about the part about having to place it down. Two days is a long time to be tied to an item. And if you leave it, you might just end up on the other end of the map within two days and have to go all the way back to it. What if it worked like Abigail's Flower, where it charged in the inventory instead?

The compass doesn't need to be babysat, you could leave it behind (Huzzah! More inventory space) and come back for it later. It would have a map Icon,

59 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

The compass doesn't need to be babysat, you could leave it behind (Huzzah! More inventory space) and come back for it later. It would have a map Icon,

That's what I'm saying, you can cover a lot of ground within two whole days, and having to potentially walk an incredibly far distance back to get it is troublesome and could just discourage straying too far from the compass at all.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

you can cover a lot of ground within two whole days

How OP would it be if the effect instantly occurred?

How OP would it be to put a pig skin into the compass and instantly reveal all pig heads? Instantly find all Ruins entrances? Instantly find every viney bush in SW? Instantly see every cactus in RoG?

How about one minute for full effect on the surface, one day when in caves, and 3 in the ruins (Instantly finding every broken clockwork, monkey barrel, ancient statue seems op).

8 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

How OP would it be if the effect instantly occurred?

How OP would it be to put a pig skin into the compass and instantly reveal all pig heads? Instantly find all Ruins entrances? Instantly find every viney bush in SW? Instantly see every cactus in RoG?

How about one minute for full effect on the surface, one day when in caves, and 3 in the ruins (Instantly finding every broken clockwork, monkey barrel, ancient statue seems op).

I never said instant effect. I said it could slowly function and reveal whatever item you put in it while in the inventory over the course of two days. Abigail's Flower does this.

11 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Considering her downsides I think it's fair. Otherwise what's the point of the compass really? You can't even search for something you don't have already. I don't see how you can get much use out of it in it's current state.

I find it surprising a character that "travels light" wouldn't have a speed bonus of some sort.

This is what I was expecting:

5cbba3f987b46_Screenshot(1616).thumb.png.6c1143b9f5f6f546a63cbfe3835634f3.png

I think a base speed bonus would be appropriate compensation for less inventory space, something that is permanent and hard to get around while playing. I think it would synergize well with the piggyback which has a speed debuff, forcing players to choose between whether they want to be a speed demon or lug stuff around. There's really no need to overcomplicate this either, in Hamlet WX players have a stupid easy way to stay constantly overcharged, and overcharge grants speed, light and immunity to freezing.

Archived