Looking for modding partner

Hello,

I would like to do some modifications for this mod regarding introducing new content (I am open for any ideas!). However, I don't really know how to codes, scripts, extraction, etc. I would personally like to solely focus on the art and frames of said new content.

So if anybody feels like doing that side, allowing me to focus down on the art, hit me up!

Interesting offer. I'm the polar opposite. I know how to program, but I can't do graphics. I decided yesterday to try to mod and so far I have made one working mod (not uploaded yet). It makes a copy of the water sieve and then the copy will output water at the same temperature as the input. I know it's not an original idea, but unlike the existing mods this one will result in two water sieves, one with fixed temperature and one with input temperature. Also I wanted something simple to get started.

I'm still finetuning details, mainly because I aim for clean and reusable code. This is a good approach to work fast in the future and avoid bugs.

The next project I have planned is a gas/liquid pipe compressor. It's supposed to be a 2 tile building with an input and output (well 2 buildings). It has an internal storage and will not output before it can fill one dot on the pipe. I think I have an idea on how to make this, which will work well, but I haven't really started yet.

I certainly wouldn't complain if you could be interested in drawing art for something like this.

1 hour ago, Nightinggale said:

Interesting offer. I'm the polar opposite. I know how to program, but I can't do graphics. I decided yesterday to try to mod and so far I have made one working mod (not uploaded yet). It makes a copy of the water sieve and then the copy will output water at the same temperature as the input. I know it's not an original idea, but unlike the existing mods this one will result in two water sieves, one with fixed temperature and one with input temperature. Also I wanted something simple to get started.

I'm still finetuning details, mainly because I aim for clean and reusable code. This is a good approach to work fast in the future and avoid bugs.

The next project I have planned is a gas/liquid pipe compressor. It's supposed to be a 2 tile building with an input and output (well 2 buildings). It has an internal storage and will not output before it can fill one dot on the pipe. I think I have an idea on how to make this, which will work well, but I haven't really started yet.

I certainly wouldn't complain if you could be interested in drawing art for something like this.

Interesting! I will try to make some concept sketches tomorrow based on this and from there we can see further.

#GeyserPump

#LargePipes

#NeutroniumMiner

#MineralCompactor

#AntiMeteorLazer

#Trees&Forestry

#SpaceInvasion

These are my ideas.

So far actually I already have lots.

Sadly I know nothing ’bout coding and scripts. I only write Theotown JSON plugin scripts.

(If you don’t know wut is Theotown, check them in appstores)

19 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Hello,

I would like to do some modifications for this mod regarding introducing new content (I am open for any ideas!). However, I don't really know how to codes, scripts, extraction, etc. I would personally like to solely focus on the art and frames of said new content.

So if anybody feels like doing that side, allowing me to focus down on the art, hit me up!

Actually i made a discord channel for cooperating on mods. If you want to join write me. The condition for joining is active modding and not be a jerk.

This is great and I'd gladly cooperate in the future, but (not to shoot you down) right now we don't have a clear way to add new anims to the game - might need to wait a moment for Klei to boost that side of modding.

21 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

Here is a concept of a liquid compressor:

5cb729c86d8dc_LiquidCompressor.thumb.png.5d6f0ed12c932bb14c8094ab035596e6.png

Trying to stick to the ONI art style. Still have some way to go before I really master this kind of style, but I think it's a relative good start. A liquid compressor would require roughly the same animation patterns as an aqua tuner. If someone was able down the road to extract those and hand them to me, I'd be able to study it in detail and base this liquid compressor on that.

The graphics look decent, but I'm not too happy with the concept. Right now you can build a system for compressing gas and liquids using automation and it will only use 10W, meaning it consumes 10 joule for each full pipe tile passing through. The problem with this setup is that it's time consuming to set up and takes up 3x5 tiles. My idea is to do the same with just 1x2 tiles. This means if a dedicated compressor building will consume lots of power, people will build the automation solution to save power. As a result, 10 W on output enable is max power, if it should use power at all. Your drawing looks like it will consume a whole lot more than 10 W.

Another issue is that it should have clear input and output ends and as such should NOT be symmetrical. A turbine isn't ideal for compressing as it is aimed at moving at high speed instead. A better option for compressing is a piston compressor. Those are very simple. Open intake valve, move piston down to fill the cylinder, close intake, open output and move the piston up to push the contents into the output. This is used to move air from low (or normal) pressure into higher pressure like a compressed air tank, air brake tank or similar.

What I'm thinking of is some sort of value shutoff. It should be spring loaded meaning once the pressure reach a certain threshold, it jumps up and is fully open. It closes equally fast once the gas/liquid has passed. No need for power because the pressure difference in the input and output is the power source for triggering the spring loaded mechanism. From a scientific perspective, this would be realistic to build considering steam engines and later diesel engines relied on something like this until electronics took over. I plan NOT to implement audio for this because it will consist of loud clicks and that will be annoying to listen to for the player. I do however plan to make the building very noisy with the game mechanics.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, Cairath said:

right now we don't have a clear way to add new anims to the game - might need to wait a moment for Klei to boost that side of modding.

We should make a thread about issues like this. It will tell modders that there is no point in trying something because other experienced people have tried and failed. It will also tell Klei what modders are trying to do, but can't do, hence work as a modding feature request thread.

So far my only contribution to such a thread would be to add a method to buildings, which is called when a game is completely loaded, but before it starts. Used correctly it can avoid the need to destroy buildings and build them again to make updated mods apply.

@NightinGale5cb871f4d9c89_LiquidCompressor2.thumb.png.a64f43fd9b67c5163f67249edfd97af8.png

Yes it is with a crankshaft, meaning it will still use up some power. However, this is realistic. A piston can't just perpentually go up and down without something driving it. In a car engine this done through the combustion process, as the explosion of released energy makes the movement possible. There is no combustion happening here, so it has to be externally driven.

I imagine the chain of event going like this: piston in top position allows water to flow underneath it, filling up the cilinder chamber. Once done, input closes and motion that is powered (say 5-10 watts) through the crankshaft, compression the liquid as the moving down piston closes off the edges. At the same moment, the output pipe opens up. Note that the orb structure above is filled as well during this process, to create pressure and help the piston drive down.

I hope this is more what you are aiming at. It is a 2x1 rotable structure. I also think I will need to swap the in- and output pipes as the big one should be the output pipe.

@ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy I really like that style. However the end pipes only look good if the top is connected to the left and the bottom to the right. Obviously it should end in a way, which makes sense regardless of which direction the pipes are connected.

Another issue is how will the water goes into the cylinder? After some consideration I think it would be better if it's something like a liquid valve in the sense that it is thick, closed ends and the see through part in the middle can then be the piston moving (once we get animation going). If done right, we can ignore all the issues regarding practical stuff like getting liquid in and out because it's in the ends and out of view and pipes can be connected in all directions. At the same time having the piston move inside a window will make it clearly visible what goes on.

I have had a breakthrough. I now have a compressor working. In my test it takes in 1 kg/s water and outputs 10 kg once every 10th second. I still need to add power usage. I also need to fix other details, like making it able to unjam itself if exposed to mixed elements. There are multiple such details, but they are just details. The core concept is working :D

1 hour ago, Nightinggale said:

@ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy I really like that style. However the end pipes only look good if the top is connected to the left and the bottom to the right. Obviously it should end in a way, which makes sense regardless of which direction the pipes are connected.

Another issue is how will the water goes into the cylinder? After some consideration I think it would be better if it's something like a liquid valve in the sense that it is thick, closed ends and the see through part in the middle can then be the piston moving (once we get animation going). If done right, we can ignore all the issues regarding practical stuff like getting liquid in and out because it's in the ends and out of view and pipes can be connected in all directions. At the same time having the piston move inside a window will make it clearly visible what goes on.

I have had a breakthrough. I now have a compressor working. In my test it takes in 1 kg/s water and outputs 10 kg once every 10th second. I still need to add power usage. I also need to fix other details, like making it able to unjam itself if exposed to mixed elements. There are multiple such details, but they are just details. The core concept is working :D

I got a sweat idea how to fix the realism regarding the water going into the cylinder. I'll look into changing a few things based on this concept.

So updated concept:

5cb9ca5618668_LiquidCompressor2.thumb.png.f02e1eb080dc6fc9ece1f460f8409c3e.png

Added a little graphic explanation of what my idea is, which is basically a valve inside the piston, connected with a hydraulic spring. When the piston is being pushed down by the crankshaft, the valve will close off inside the piston. Which is what you want for compression the liquid. When the piston is being pulled up, the valve will be released from the piston and so water will be able to flow into the cylinder chamber.

I also made changes to the pipe connectors, which are now in a neutral position. This should allow the pipes to be connected from any direction in a good way. I haven't finished up the small detailing. I'll wait with it until we found a concensus.

I am really interested in making a proper airlock.

A 2 by 4 structure. Would cost refined metal, and consume 240w of power while in use, but would 100% isolate gases.

I personally despise water locks. Wondering if this is something people would want.

(I am also a programmer with no artistic ability)

Love your art and your idea of joining forces with like-minded people. 

I have a modicum of modding capabilities, I am good at a little bit of everything, but great at none of them.  I have only made one mod for ONI and that was before they supported modding, but I have made a ton for other games and would love to help out where I can, and can't wait for them to get the art defs worked out for mods.  

23 hours ago, MidoriKami said:

A 2 by 4 structure. Would cost refined metal, and consume 240w of power while in use, but would 100% isolate gases.

I personally despise water locks. Wondering if this is something people would want.

That would be pretty straightforward. Let me see to create something today or tomorrow.

20 hours ago, Elucidus said:

Love your art and your idea of joining forces with like-minded people. 

I have a modicum of modding capabilities, I am good at a little bit of everything, but great at none of them.  I have only made one mod for ONI and that was before they supported modding, but I have made a ton for other games and would love to help out where I can, and can't wait for them to get the art defs worked out for mods.  

Thanks!

I could work out code and whatnot eventually by myself, but for that is basically time I could otherwise spend productively on producing art instead. The community has fine men and women to collab with.I think this will eventually result in lots of new content if I specialize in cranking out art and somebody specializes in code and implementation, rather than having 1 person just having to do everything.

I know that for now there is no means of getting ingame, but that is fine. We can work out concepts, refine ideas, getting my assets ready so that by the time we do get those possibilities, we can start on the animations immediately. Something small like a compressor or a full on airlock doesn't require so much variation between each frame, so getting the concept and base art down is half the work on my side.

On 21/4/2019 at 8:41 AM, MidoriKami said:

So I present to you: the Advanced Water&Airlock (TM)!

path2083.png.3d7962d62cb5c64e2e8133de04aefe32.png

In my head, it will work like this: The duplicant will enter the 2x4 structure, let air and/or liquid in. Once the door shuts behind the duplicant, it will seal up and will pump out any liquid and or gas inside of it. Once it created a vacuum, it will unlock its doors. Should power run out (it willl have an internal storage), the doors will seal shut allowing no traffic through and potentially sealing up any duplicant inside of it until power is restored.

And yes, you will be able to see your duplicant through the window, potentially suffocating because you failed to provide power in time to get the duplicant out of there :p

14 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

So I present to you: the Advanced Water&Airlock (TM)!

path2083.png.3d7962d62cb5c64e2e8133de04aefe32.png

I love it! (Mostly!)

I would be rid of the liquid pipe, as it would function similar to a regular airlock door where it pushes the water to either side.

There are definitely a lot of logistics to work out, some thoughts that come up are:

• Would it make sense to have the structure require a oxygen input?
  • How would it manage multiple dupes at a time?
  • What about dupes both coming and going?

I am imagining it would be a fairly quick mechanism, just a little slower than a powered regular airlock door.

10 hours ago, MidoriKami said:

I love it! (Mostly!)

I would be rid of the liquid pipe, as it would function similar to a regular airlock door where it pushes the water to either side.

There are definitely a lot of logistics to work out, some thoughts that come up are:

• Would it make sense to have the structure require a oxygen input?
  • How would it manage multiple dupes at a time?
  • What about dupes both coming and going?

I am imagining it would be a fairly quick mechanism, just a little slower than a powered regular airlock door.

The issue with water being pushed on either side, is that will lead to water ending up where it isn't supposed to be. µ

Example 1: you have 2 normal water pools, one germ free and one germed water. For some reason you want to have access between the 2 pools. Having the water just spil from one pool to the other will ensure both get contaminated.

Example 2: You have a pool of polluted water next to a free air area. Entering the room through a normal airlock would end up with polluted water spilling in said area and gassing off polluted water.

This is why in my personal opinion it's better to add a water pumping system as well. Of course I can remove it, but that would also reduce functionality to a pure 'air to air' airlock. Do think about it. What I am proposing is actually a real life application. Think of airlocks in submarines.

Regarding the logistics, I think I personally have a good mind on that:

-Would it make sense to add an oxygen input? Regarding on what you exactly need the airlock for, yes and no. In normal circumstances, that is going to be a waste because you'll be pumping it out anyway. However, you could also perhaps use the airlock as an emergency breathing room. That will require a bit more coding (because you don't want to be pumping the oxygen out when the duplicant is inside), but it would be possible. Let's double down on the idea, and why not for instance pump in chlorine if you want to use it as a decontamination room? So a dupe enters from a slime biome, all germed up with germy material, enters the airlock filled with chlorine and has to wait until all the content of the room is germ free (it's up to the player to make sure the duplicant is in an exosuit!). All of this would require different configurations for the airlock. If you can and want to code that in, I'd say yes for a gas input, but the gas input should not be required to have the device function.

-Regarding how it would manage multiple duplicants, as well as handling duplicants coming from both side, I think you should use the duplicant checkpoint principle (I will add illustrations below to make it more clear). Say that the starting state of the airlock is vacuum. When a duplicant enters from either side, it will open the door. This will instantly "lock" the opposite door. With lock, I mean a "virtual" checkpoint will become active in front of the "locked" door, keeping duplicants from that side on hold (this will ensure pathing keeps existing). As long as the first door remains open, duplicants from that side can still enter and move to the middle of the airlock, where they will be waiting in another virtual checkpoint. Once the door is closed, the airlock will start pumping out its content until it is again in a vacuum. After that, the doors will unlock again. To keep matters simple, should duplicants be waiting on both sides for the whole thing to unlock, both doors will be accessible at the same time when the vacuum happens. 

5cc042d1c0dee_Airlock1.png.2aaaac40896bd8063e2a530f8abeff17.png5cc042dfde0b8_Airlock2.png.7c108713e2de186240e03b3a9f0eff42.png

5cc042f1d1f4c_Airlock3.png.2bbc92f7cbe0eeb0ab58295da3a18b43.png

5cc0430308b6a_Airlock4.png.5788b2573e68bc9dad805322a9c0c568.png

Oh, and I also updated the artwork.

Airlock.png.3c3f2a791841b4b14e97d50e6f0f75fb.png

I made a second gas exit pipe, so that pumping out gasses goes faster (at a rate of 2kg/s), and moved them to a better position. I also reworked the liquid pipe and I duly hope to convince you to add it in that way :p. Finally also made a gas vent inside for gas input. So all in all:

-One gas input (we might double that?)
-2 gas outputs
-1 Liquid output (might also double that if needed?)
-1 Power input (480W maybe?)

Archived