Creating a server with caves!

Hello guys, i have a pretty cheap pc (2gb ram,dual core e7400) and when i host a server with caves im kinda lagging especially when its autosaving, my friend has a better computer, if he hosts a server with caves and if i join will i still be lagging or not (im currently saving money for dont starve together so i use a pirated copy so i cannot check out), sorry for bad english im from Bosnia 

First things first: Do not play a pirated version of the game, its not worth it, just buying one will get you another free copy that you can gift to your friend. Or you can both pay it half and half, since you will get 2 games anyway. A pirated version will also never run just as optimized as the real game, so some of the issues you have are probably related to that.

Now, once you get an actual legal copy of the game, your performance will be influenced by 3 things:

1. The amount of RAM your computer has. The more ram, the better the game will run.
  2. The power each core of your processor has. DST does not seem to use that well multi-threading or multiple cores, so the more power each core has the better.
  3. If you are not the host, then the internet speeds of both the host and yours, and country distance to the host. The faster both internet connections are, and the closer you are to the host, the better.

So basically if the host has a better computer but you are both too far away, or the internet speeds of any of you two is not so good, or your computer is already having hard times to even run windows, its still going to lag for you.

If he is the host and you both have a decent internet connection, it should play better for you. Recommendations if this is the case:

1. Disable all background programs on your computer. If the host can do that too, better
  2. Add more ram to your computer if the computer allows it.

I hope it helps and you can play with your friend. Cheers

12 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

First things first: Do not play a pirated version of the game, its not worth it, just buying one will get you another free copy that you can gift to your friend. Or you can both pay it half and half, since you will get 2 games anyway. A pirated version will also never run just as optimized as the real game, so some of the issues you have are probably related to that.

Now, once you get an actual legal copy of the game, your performance will be influenced by 3 things:

1. The amount of RAM your computer has. The more ram, the better the game will run.
  2. The power each core of your processor has. DST does not seem to use that well multi-threading or multiple cores, so the more power each core has the better.
  3. If you are not the host, then the internet speeds of both the host and yours, and country distance to the host. The faster both internet connections are, and the closer you are to the host, the better.

So basically if the host has a better computer but you are both too far away, or the internet speeds of any of you two is not so good, or your computer is already having hard times to even run windows, its still going to lag for you.

If he is the host and you both have a decent internet connection, it should play better for you. Recommendations if this is the case:

1. Disable all background programs on your computer. If the host can do that too, better
  2. Add more ram to your computer if the computer allows it.

I hope it helps and you can play with your friend. Cheers

I know its the best to buy it, but you gotta understand me, i live in a poor country where as a teen its almost impossible to get money, and thanks for that :D

Archived