Jetpacks usable for you guys?

Hi ppl nice to post here again, today i want to ask you guys, how are jetpacks going for you so far? last time i used them was into a 1000 + base with 20 dupes, the lag was extreme and crashes became quite common to the point i deconstructed it all, kinda sad because i liked them a lot.

Do you guys think theres a way to  make them run smooter? maybe we should fix it somewhere? I think the newcomers will have a lot of problems with this too.

My pc config

Processor I5 5200U  2.20 GHZ

8 gb ram

Video is 4 gb vram

Also plz type your experiences using jetpacks.

In games like this where there are lots of little moving parts (gas/liquid pipe packets, heat exchange per tile, gas pressure exchange per tile), plus the path navigation and stats per dupe, it is extremely CPU intensive.  I am surprised your i5 can handle 20 dupes without jetpacks.  With my i7 and 16 gb of ram I do get frame drops after I build jetpacks in space and sometimes even complete game crashes to where I have to slow speed to 2x to keep it running.  You could try playing at 1x and which would give your CPU more time to update the world simulation and path navigations.

i5 is not i5 and i7 ist not i7. A third gen i7 is inferior to a 6th gen i3. The i(x) is just marketing, and mark only the state of the cpu in one generation. 

In general, an i3 has hyperthreading, and i5 has turbo, an i7 has both. But an i3 of the next generation can be way superior to an i7 of the last generation. Thats why they have numbers behind the i(x). His CPU is a dual core with hyperthreading from the broadwell architecture, made for laptops and other mobiles. They do have some power indeed. 

Thank you all for the replies, i will try to limit then only to rocket building and see the results " may take a long while before i post the results but i will open a topic for them when i have them ". 

4 hours ago, Nick777 said:

In games like this where there are lots of little moving parts (gas/liquid pipe packets, heat exchange per tile, gas pressure exchange per tile), plus the path navigation and stats per dupe, it is extremely CPU intensive.  I am surprised your i5 can handle 20 dupes without jetpacks.  With my i7 and 16 gb of ram I do get frame drops after I build jetpacks in space and sometimes even complete game crashes to where I have to slow speed to 2x to keep it running.  You could try playing at 1x and which would give your CPU more time to update the world simulation and path navigations.

I can have a lot of dupes after the qol mk2 update but only without jets and with everything else closed on pc, google crome etc. If i forgot to close crome the game eventually crashes but for lack of memory. " i love to play watching or listening twitchs of oni or other stuff ".

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

i5 is not i5 and i7 ist not i7. A third gen i7 is inferior to a 6th gen i3. The i(x) is just marketing, and mark only the state of the cpu in one generation. 

In general, an i3 has hyperthreading, and i5 has turbo, an i7 has both. But an i3 of the next generation can be way superior to an i7 of the last generation. Thats why they have numbers behind the i(x). His CPU is a dual core with hyperthreading from the broadwell architecture, made for laptops and other mobiles. They do have some power indeed. 

Thas pretty accurate i have a laptop, its really good normally only my disc behave strangely its a ssd but really really slow, since i buy it but when i did i never experienced sdd's before to notice.

Again thank you all :).

16 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

They made huge improvements fo pathfinding in general, but also to jetpacks. But with your setup, you may run into something again. Oni may easy occupie 4 cores with 3Ghz+ and even above 12GB RAM. You should think about a replacer sometimes soon.

nice pc man :) i hope i can buy a new one, i kinda have a job " in the way?" i past the test second place, at least 3 should be called, but none of us have been called yet.

10 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

The art of using jet packs is to prevent them to move everywhere. If they are limited to certain areas, the impact ist minimal. Sure, thats no option the moment you open space, because they can fly around freely.

Yeap, i would try to use the co2 to slicksters too :) kinda cycle the oil.

Guys i tested it out on a base 400+ cycles with 20 dupes, restricting the jetpacks to an rocket area " NOT IN SPACE " let me play normally x3 speed with the expected lag " without crashes". So thats it :), space seems to be an important factor into killing the pc with jets.

13 hours ago, natanstarke said:

.. space seems to be an important factor into killing the pc with jets.

It's not about "space" it's about every "Space" where pathfinding is relative open and has many variable options to calculate a path.
Very problematic is the superheated CO²!
When the CO² reaches your CPU, it could be overheating/stepping CPU clock down, to prevent system failure.
Easy solution is to place a 10cm long burning candle, on top of the cpu, because candles do not burn in CO².
You can easy wire a sensor to the front of your monitor, to fire up a LED, when candle is offline.

ph.jpg.2083015de5c1efdcab5e802614eda551.jpg

Archived