Pacus - Causes of death

Yesterday I was shocked to discover my 24 pacus were gone.

My tank is right under the printing pod and I got Pacus to be printed 3 times.

I don't even need that meat to feed dupes (but I appreciated the egg shells). The main reason I'm pissed is because I enjoyed to look at the fish tank from time to time and now it's just a box full of water. (I know, I have issues lol)

The temperature of the tank is 20C. Anyone can tell what went wrong? Do Pacus die for any reason other than temperature?

I really feel like they were just unloaded as I have another tank with only 7 Pacus in (that didn't come from Printing Pod). This tank is at same temperature of the other and all fish are having a good time there.

I saw someone writing about that before but can't find the post.

Is this a bug or I just did something wrong?

They die of old age. Pacus, even wild ones, will lay eggs under the right conditions. Pacus printed from the welfare pod is as far as I know of a random age when printed though and that means they may not lay eggs at all if all of them is too old by random chance from the start.

4 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Is this a bug or I just did something wrong?

I had many times a bug, where critters stacked onto eachother in one spot and there they died..
When you are not early enough aware of that and load/save game, all could die..

3 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I had many times a bug, where critters stacked onto eachother in one spot and there they died..
When you are not early enough aware of that and load/save game, all could die..

Thank you. The link sent by Saturnus was very useful overall but I think this is pretty likely what happened.

I had too many Pacus in a 6x4 and feeling that it would go wrong at some point. But I thought, hey screw it, lets stack 500 of those in the box.

Turned out that they glitch to death. Amazing! haha

44 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Turned out that they glitch to death. Amazing! haha

Amazing it was only the first time for me..
To prevent that i had to load save every cycle..
When they are stuck, they lay no eggs.
Flying critters too.
But hey ONI is releaseready!
image.png.6e88c7a944942269ced84356ef5d8651.png

Pacu can get overcrowded very easily. 

A population of wild critters that get overcrowded at any time may kill off a huge amount of them.

Overcrowded debuff usually stops their egg rate. Now imagine a critter is 50% to laying an egg and another one lays it first and now it is overcrowded. The critter stays at 50 but continues to age till one of them dies. Once that happens there may not be enough time left for that critter to lay it’s own egg before it also dies.

You can manage this a bit by moving the eggs out of the water and killing off elderly that have hopefully already laid their egg. 

Making a larger water reservoir for them is the Best fix. 

You need something like 8-12 tiles of water per pacu. 

2 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Making a larger water reservoir for them is the Best fix. 

You need something like 8-12 tiles of water per pacu. 

Thanks. I'll try that when I have the chance again.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Overcrowded does not currently seem to matter for pacus. I keep an uncountable number of pacus in a small 3x9 pool and they always have glum and overcrowded and keep reproducing for thousands of cycles. They occasionally stack up all on one cell and forget how to swim for a few days as well, no problems. I've done this for separated wild and tame farms as well.

So I wonder what is the cause of death for others. Can someone post a picture of a setup where their population has died off?

This is what I had. Not a real setup, just a gap for them to fall inside a box from the pod and eventually drop meat and egg shells. And they did that no problem for a long time (like 650 cycles) while they were only 16.

They were already showing glum and overcrowded status since the beggining with 8 only...but living, dying and laying eggs as expected. Perfect.

Once I accepted the third packet (hey, why not?) they didn't live for long. First time I took a closer look to the box after that and they were all gone I indeed had to save and close the game few times and didn't register the exact moment they were missing.

I have another tank elsewhere with 7 wild Pacus gathered through digging and they are doing just fine. Their tank is much larger.

fish tank.png

16 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Once I accepted the third packet (hey, why not?) they didn't live for long. First time I took a closer look to the box after that and they were all gone I indeed had to save and close the game few times and didn't register the exact moment they were missing.

There is a second status (cramped) for when the pacus are in a room too small for them. I still don't know if it completely stop reproduction in wild critters (It does in tamed critters) since I keep mine in a huge open room. However, 118 tiles should not be enough for 16 pacus anyway (they need 8 tiles for each fish and each egg). It's also possible they died because of a bug as Oozinator said.

5c9a901bde803_Capturedecran2019-03-26a16_47_57.thumb.png.87b1b43833e5a8482ee466df581cc4c1.png

17 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Nice symmetry.  If you’ve got extra gold or a gold geyser it is great for statues and flooring. You can casually surpass several hundred decor.

Thanks. I'm working in a round base this time. You can see the healthy pacus in the left.

I just tamed my gold volcano and still finishing my power system. I'll do some statues after that and once I have some master artists. I know carpet isn't the best but I think it looks so cool for a living chamber. I still have to finish some parts. 

round base.png

I’ve been storing my excess pacu in crude oil with the goal of getting the temperature down to 75 so they will stay tropical. It also seems to work pretty well since it takes less crude for a single tile. 

3 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

I’ve been storing my excess pacu in crude oil with the goal of getting the temperature down to 75 so they will stay tropical. It also seems to work pretty well since it takes less crude for a single tile. 

Hmm, that's a a pretty neat idea. Do you tame any?

You run out of algae very quickly and all you get for it is a burst of tamed pacu that will all die out.

Im not really worried about the release except it sort of implied that any post release expansions will cost money. 

I get you. I like the idea about release but I see more experienced players not sharing the hype as they understand better what need to be fixed.

This is the first time I experienced something supposedly wrong (or at least very unclear) with game mechanics. You mentioned how taming pacus isn't a great idea and I feel this is more or less true for all critters. And everything look so cool, concept, animations, everything... it's a waste to have them not working.

I don't understand anything about programming, but purely based on guess, I imagine in my fantasy that 'balance' is just some numbers someone change in the game's code. Purely based on guess, I suppose this isn't that hard to be done but needs to be tested.

Most I see in ONI forum is phd level of players eager to test the thing for free. Give them some changes to be tested and spreadsheets will be out,the game will be fine. But time would be needed for that.

Anyone feel free to correct me as I'm just trying to understand the general scenario for my personal understanding and don't master any of the subjects.

1 minute ago, nakomaru said:

I swear I am playing a different game from the rest of the planet.

Tamed pacu with no food will live their entire lives and reproduce once before dying.

Junk, I wonder if those 1x1 tile entrances are the problem. Maybe they are causing the cramped debuff when the pacus stop there.

Hmm.  Could very well be me combining overcrowded with not being fed back then.  I admit I have not fed them for MANY updates.

I know an unfed and ungroomed hatch will die before laying an egg while an unfed but groomed one will.  I don't know how many calories a pacu is born with.

I think it is as OxFade mentions, the pacu's were overcrouded.  Saying this, Wild pacu's do seem to die off for no apparent reason. 

In the past, I've taken observations of the wild populations early game, noting where the pools are and their populations and leaving their pools completely sealed and undisturbed, only to find a few hundred cycles later that some of them have died off. despite being left completely alone.  Some of the unfortunates were single wild pacu's too, which excludes the overpopulation egg laying debuff and technically (as far as I know) should not have died.

I maintain that there's a wild pacu bug, which causes them to ultimately not be self-sustaining long term being left in the wild.

35 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I think it is as OxFade mentions, the pacu's were overcrouded.  Saying this, Wild pacu's do seem to die off for no apparent reason. 

In the past, I've taken observations of the wild populations early game, noting where the pools are and their populations and leaving their pools completely sealed and undisturbed, only to find a few hundred cycles later that some of them have died off. despite being left completely alone.  Some of the unfortunates were single wild pacu's too, which excludes the overpopulation egg laying debuff and technically (as far as I know) should not have died.

I maintain that there's a wild pacu bug, which causes them to ultimately not be self-sustaining long term being left in the wild.

That will happen when the pacu randomly turns in to a gulp fish.  They have a max temperature that is under the biomes usual temp and they will die before laying another egg.

I was just about to check the Oni biology thread to check the Gulp fish's temperature preference and find that it's deleted. 

At a guess, in order to keep a wild pacu population indefinitely, then the water temperature must be kept quite low in case of a gulp fish being hatched.

Archived