Don't Starve Winter strategies

Alright, with this new patch Don't Starve is no longer really a casual game, it's gotten quite a bit difficult. So perhaps we could post here some tips, strategies, etc to counter winters effects.For instance, How do you protect yourself from new smarter hound attacks? What's the new easiest crock pot recipe?

I haven't played the new patch yet but you don't need a crock pot right away. Just cooking carrots/berries/meat in a fire every other night is sufficient for the beginning. Carrots are pretty plentiful initially to help you transition into midgame. As far as recipes go, you can pretty much put any combination of veggies and meats in there and get something useful. I tend to make more meatballs than anything because its a simple recipe...at least 1 meat (morsels/drumsticks count as half a meat) and the rest veggies. If you put at least 3 meat it turns into Meaty Stew instead which is really good but meat is harder to get early on.By the time you are ready to make crock pots, you should also be ready to make some turbo farms. Then you have a near limitless supply of veggies to cook with, since seeds are so easy to collect. 1 seed and ~1 day with a turbo plot and it becomes a veggie. You can also feed veggies to birds in a cage to have them make specific seeds, i.e. feed it pumpkin and it will give you pumpkin seeds. These seeds will only make pumpkins on a farm plot, instead of a random veggie.The only thing other than meats and veggies you can put in a crock pot anymore is honey which is great stuff later on and also twigs (combine with meat to make kabobs).The quality of food you put in the crock pot determines how good the result is as well. So less filling veggies will make less filling meals. Or if the food is spoiling it will be less filling.

Currently on day 27, without farms. Find beefalos and Pig Village as fast as you can. I have nice Pig Village with lots of berry bushes, killed 2 beefalos, and used 5 boomerangs to get morsel form birds, so far so good.

Winter is simple the the only threats are the deerclops and running out of food you can stay in base and warm up(and if your up for it go find mactusk n son.

Did you start a new game or did you already have a base with crock pots, bird cage, farm plots etc.? I'm finding it rather difficult to prepare for winter. Going long distances during winter seems to be a no-no. Ofc I didn't have winter armor and hat yet when it hit on day 12. Not that I expected to be ready on day 20, tbh.

Did you start a new game or did you already have a base with crock pots, bird cage, farm plots etc.? I'm finding it rather difficult to prepare for winter. Going long distances during winter seems to be a no-no. Ofc I didn't have winter armor and hat yet when it hit on day 12. Not that I expected to be ready on day 20, tbh.

yes on second and winter comes at day 30 you have a broken game o.o.

It was already somewhat difficult. but winter is crazy difficult! Here's some winter tips for winter,

(1) FOOD: Make sure you have food at all times. if you don't, and you're hungry.. It's kinda difficult when you're rushed to find food in the cold.

(2) FREEZING: You can freeze when you are not near a fire, and if you need to leave the fire, you can use a torch to keep warm.

(3) STAYING WARM: It's good to have a puffy vest to keep warm, but in-order to make one you have to kill "Koalefant" You could also stay near your fire.

(4) FINDING "Koalefant" : You need to find Suspicious Dirt Pile Uncover it, and follow there tracks. they can spawn in any Biome. you will know witch way to go because the tracks are like paw prints, they will point in a direction.

(5) FARM PLOTS: Farm Plots Take much longer to grow plants. It's like the dirt freezes ):

Thanks for reading my tips! I hope they help. If you have any more questions reply to this post (: And here's a link to a wiki about winter. http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Winter Don't Starve!!

First off, I play Librarian in Adventure mode. The extra tech level helps a ton and you can make most things on the fly without having to "settle down" into a home base + science machine right away. Without going into great deal about my specific strategies, this is what I tend to angle toward:24 flowers-- enough for two garlands. These are worn during winter during the day, these help restore sanity if you have nothing else. A "full health" garland can be made with half spoiled flowers. Assuming you have enough spider webs to make a tent a few days before winter hits, I'll save half the flowers for a garland and let the others sit out to rot. These can then be used to fertilize crops before winter hits. At least 6 webbings + other requisite materials for a tent. Assuming I have enough food, I use the tent halfway through dusk in order to regain sanity and skip the night cycle. Sanity tends to drop like a rock in Winter, so the tent is extraordinarily useful when the nightmares start attacking. I start a forest fire-- If you have a large enough forest and no winter gear, the charcoal can last you through winter by keeping your fire constantly burning. If you don't want to offend Smokey the Bear, try to accumulate two stacks of straw. One stack is for tool use, the other stack is to make rope-- which burns quite nicely through the night (One is usually enough to last halfway through dusk and through the night). All the Carrots you can carry: This is self explanatory. I find that I usually don't have enough time to set up farms in order to produce a sustainable source of food; carrots carry over quite well and with their abundance in Adventure mode, you should have enough to last you through the first winter. After which you can then focus on the whole farming thing. What I try to find:I try to seek out the Potato Head thingie-- it's usually surrounded by five small farm plots that you can use right away. By the first winter, it should have yielded about 1-2 harvests before the first winter, and all you needed to do was plant the seeds. Note that once winter starts, crops don't grow. =PFailing that, I try to find a Pig Colony. In adventure mode, they usually have small "plots" of carrots. Don't pick them right away and instead set up camp nearby. Assuming there aren't any rabbits crawling about, you have nine carrots to last you those final days of winter. I'll try to set up a secondary camp near a source of a naturally replenishing food source-- like a plain of beefalo or rabbits. In the case of the latter, I'll observe how the rabbits move from their holes and then set up traps in the middle of those paths. You don't need to bait them-- they should naturally move into the bait hit box and become trapped. You can then grab them and kill them for morsels about every - every other day. I've found that trying to hunt the Koalefant during the first ten days is kind of a waste of time-- I, at least, have rotten luck finding it. Instead, I mine as much stone as I can, and set up stone fires between my main base and hunting zones (like a beefalo colony, or my forest of charcoal). That way, if anything runs low during the winter, I can always pack up a small amount of supplies and fuel, then "hop" around the map, starting fires at these hop points before freezing to death. When winter passes, I'll go back to these points with a hammer, recycling the stone and wood for extreme farms. Assuming you have enough webs, make an insect net and capture some bees. One or more bee mines are going to be a godsend when the deerclops hits... It's not the most effective bunch of strategies, but I find my strategy to be relatively flexible in most situations.

Neither hounds nor pigs can be stunlocked, and it seems that all enemies will no longer "take a break" from combat to eat meat products you drop. This means that in early game I've just planned on taking a hit or two per hound or pig. With a logsuit, it's really no big deal. Also, it's still possible to kite a single hound and avoid bites, but usually another one shows up in the time it takes to do so. Mind you, this is just early game, before you have the traps/bee mines/darts/allies you will need to kill large hound packs. Also, spiders can still be stunlocked and will come at you one at a time if you attack them during their dusk/night lurking. This is currently the only good way to gather silk in the early game.

It was already somewhat difficult. but winter is slightly harder if unprepared it can be hard. Here's some winter tips for winter,

(1) FOOD: Make sure you have food at all times. if you don't, and you're hungry.. It's kinda difficult when you're rushed to find food in the cold.

(2) FREEZING: You can freeze when you are not near a fire, and if you need to leave the fire, you can use a torch to keep warm.

(3) STAYING WARM: It's good to have a puffy vest to keep warm, but in-order to make one you have to kill "Koalefant" You could also stay near your fire.

(4) FINDING "Koalefant" : You need to find Suspicious Dirt Pile Uncover it, and follow there tracks. they can spawn in any Biome. you will know witch way to go because the tracks are like paw prints, they will point in a direction.

(5) FARM PLOTS: Farm Plots Take much longer to grow plants. It's like the dirt freezes ):

Thanks for reading my tips! I hope they help. If you have any more questions reply to this post (: And here's a link to a wiki about winter. http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Winter Don't Starve!!

Fixed that for ya

Well. in a game called DON´T STARVE you need something to eat NOT TO STARVE. And from my experience, I know that searching for food is like a walk through hell, especially in winter. Grab your spear and go **** some Beefalos :) Pick them off one by one, just attack one and wait until the others stop chasing you. When you´re pretty far, 1v1 the one you attacked. How? Simply just let him strike and make him miss the attack by dodging it, and then hit him 3-4 times. Fall back and dodge again, and then you have to hit him 3-4 times again. Repeat that until the Beefalo dies, and you have a truckload of meat. Use 3 meat and something like berries or carrots in your Crock Pot (not twigs, that would be a waste since when using twigs the output will be Kabobs, and that´s not what you want), and you will get a meaty stew! Use it only when your hunger is extremely low, because it adds + 150 hunger. But watch for your naughtiness and be ready to battle a Krampus when he spawns. Remember that food does not grow in winter, and that the only way not to starve is to eat meat. You can kill either Pigs, Rabbits or Beefalos, and since Beefalos drop biggest loot, it´s the best way to feed yourself. Just watch it, and don´t **** too much of them... you don´t want them gone, do you? They might become good allies when Deerclops or Hounds spawn, because sometimes you won´t be able to do it by yourself or together with the pigs only.