SSST (Self sustaining steam turbine)

Tempering whit my accidental discover pumping gas without a pump i present the self sustaining power efficient, pump less steam turbine, without blocked ports, and power efficient steam turbine, or how i like to call it SSST. It uses the rule (one element per tile) for moving the steam up. 

2.thumb.jpg.5bcfbf654499f533af3364014e1ffbb8.jpg

How it works :

I drop petroleum at 200g/s on the tile occupied by the supercolant  (100gr) and petroleum drip on the wall creating void under pushing in this way the steam up. I put an element sensor and a not circuit for limiting the pump working time and be more power efficient.

When the steam reach over 3kg and 230 Celsius degrees, the turbine start and the battery are charged. 

I attached the savefile it you want to further test and improve this design. I design this for fun and for see if is possible, It uses the one element per tile rule and the same principle that moves liquids up if you have 2 gases (the cascade effect). I call this the drip effect that push gases up if you drip liquids on a wall using the conflict between 2 liquids. 

Best regards and have fun whit it.

Spoiler

3.thumb.jpg.abcdd13dbed38217c8db8806085824cb.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.d50524be954aead75cc2040c5d2a6f4b.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.54faacf1d1d7f78b4e175ad2756177e1.jpg

Power free steam turbine.sav

1 hour ago, tzionut said:

I call this the drip effect that push gases up if you drip liquids on a wall using the conflict between 2 liquids.

So the "tdetpguiydloawutcb2l".  Try saying that 5 times. :) 

I love it. I had your other post tagged for exploration. Unfortunately, upon opening and running your save, a few things happened.

1. Sour gas formed quite rapidly, and actually got stuck to the right of the petroleum, stopping all steam flow.  It was odd. 
  2. Eventually the supercoolant you used disappeared. (sour gas as well I assume)
  3. It didn't last a cycle.
  4. The save takes quite a while to load, as you're at cycle 1660. 

No worries.  All this is just because of too much heat, which is easy to solve. I'm guessing you were going for a fast picture of the idea. Works for me. I'll play with it. 

At first I thought this was the same principle the matter converter uses when the same gas is on both sides. There, when two gases race to vacuum, if they are the same, they combine. Then when liquid takes over the tile, the gases eventually stabilize in a 2:1 ratio (with twice as much gas above the vacuum tile). Almost like a pump, but not quite as the process stabilizes 2:1.

What you have here is a pump that will almost empty a room to vacuum. With the valve set at 200g as you have it, I could get the pump to reduce the room to about 2g gas on the low side, to 9kg of gas on the up side. The pump eventually stops vacuuming things out, but gets dang close.  I thought it would.

Guesses as to why (theory crafting?) - time for more tests, and more exploits:

• Because it's a single gas and single liquid, then "one element per tile rule" with "tile swapping" is causing the tiles to swap really fast.  The steam always swaps upwards, and petro always downwards. 
  • If we adjust the flow rate to the right mix, to guarntee it's always "petro, else, petro, else," every tick of the game, we could achieve vacuum.  Yep.  This works. At 800g/s, you can maintain a vacuum (haven't checked if it'll drain to vacuum, but will hold a vacuum). At 700g/s it would not. This was on 3x speed.  I have a guess as to why 800 is enough (more later -another day). 
  • Add a second gas in the mix, and lock them in place, and you have an esher waterfall, with liquid walls, fun time.  Already have plans for this, so I can access the high pressure storage interior with a dupe.
  • With only a single gas, the tiles must swap, so no waterfall, but you get a free gas pump. 

Thanks for sharing.  With a few heat reduction modifications, this was quite useful. 

Spoiler

I added you to the following.

By linking all steam turbine threads, I hope to make it easier for the devs to know how to fix all the issues. 

As i said in the other post i messed whit the temp of the magma and start converting my crude oil in petroleum. I didn't have time to rebuild it, and I need to prepare for work so not enough time for fixing it :)  I was confident someone will see the potential. I was just curios if it work. The magma can be replaced whit an aquatuner or pulse trepydizer.

Best regards

Annoyingly I can't find the original post (have been searching for it since you mentioned it) but about a year ago someone posted a design that was basically this but with an escher waterfall. Here's my clunky recreation of it:

image.thumb.png.14d7ab0372f0c6f04cb3524c

Yes @blash365 you are right is the same principle as @socooo and he used the phosporus for the heat transfer which is more efficient that my pump version ( i refer the second version without ports blocked) and solve the heating problem. In my version if you have a controlled heat (volcano controled by doors) you can make power using a pump, in his version he eliminate the pump and let only the heating part.  And bonus he used only one  liquid for recreating the drip effect. 

7 hours ago, tzionut said:

And bonus he used only one  liquid for recreating the drip effect.

Perfect.  Thanks @blash365. This is exactly what I needed.  The issue is not that you need 2 liquids, rather that you just need to have enough liquid to form the bead that runs down the wall, instead of teleporting to the bottom of the fall. 

Time to figure out how to always guarantee a bead is formed. This seems to be the crux of the issue. When I figure it out, I'll start a new thread with a link in here as well as the other post.  Thanks @tzionut for your posts.  The last 24 hours has been a lot of fun. 

Here's two videos that @socooo pointed to (one is linked in his write up above, the second has more details). 

Thanks for sharing these @socooo.

Archived