[Suggestion] Humane Way of Putting Down (killing) critters + Automatable gas/liquid Reservoir

I have two things I'd like to see in Oxygen Not Included:

-Humane way of killing critters. Right now, the only ways to kill them are attacking/drowning/boiling/freezing them, and that is so grossly inhumane for me (I dunno if anyone else feels the same way, but I can't bear to see those adorable critters I tamed and raised bear such fates at the hands of my dupes). Maybe add some sort of euthanizing station that allows you to peacefully (i.e hatches won't fight back) euthanize critters? Ranchers can operate it.

-I noticed we don't have versions of the liquid/gas reservoir that can send automation signals when their content reaches a certain, adjustable threshold (think the smart storage compactor). Maybe add this too?

I know it seems like a weird opinion but I feel somewhat less confortable having an official killing station than seeing individual players choosing to make a killing room of their own. Instead, having an endgame recipe for the eggs would maybe remove the incentive to butcher critters.

What we need is a way to control population with hands off the keyboard. What i think we could use is a checkbox in the grooming station or at the dropoff saying "kill critters above the max limit". While that sounds cruel it might be the most humane way of dealing with it. A critter would be called to the grooming station and killed with a simple injection (there`s even an animation for that). If it would prioritize older critters as well it would be perfect.

We simply need a "Butcher Booth" or something like that, with the Duplicant taking a critter into a booth, and then leaving with a piece of meat. When the building recieves a signal it will call a Rancher to kill X amount of critters, plus it always targets the oldest one in the said room. This will fix a lot of issues with... drowning animals, and also do that automating meat industries is much less of a gimmick hassle.

13 hours ago, gredalusiam said:

Huh! The injection idea sounds more troubling to me than just killing them straight out.

Not if it happens automatically over a certain populaton. Straight out killing them requires you to manually set the task and the dupe can get bitten by the critter as well (not to mention that stone hatches have like 200 hp for some reason and take pretty long to kill).

17 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Not if it happens automatically over a certain populaton. Straight out killing them requires you to manually set the task and the dupe can get bitten by the critter as well (not to mention that stone hatches have like 200 hp for some reason and take pretty long to kill).

Oh, yeah I'm in favor of the automation aspect! I was just responding to the idea that the more "violent" ways of killing are more disturbing.

A little context where I'm coming from (not that I'm up in arms about it, just figured I'd share!)  -- I was talking about this with a friend the other day...if I had to get executed, there's just something that feels wrong about an injection. It feels like trying to cover up the essential brutality of the act. Trying to sanitize it and make it seem even "medical" in a way. If you're gonna do it, chop my head off instead! :p

5 hours ago, gredalusiam said:

I was talking about this with a friend the other day...if I had to get executed, there's just something that feels wrong about an injection. It feels like trying to cover up the essential brutality of the act. Trying to sanitize it and make it seem even "medical" in a way. If you're gonna do it, chop my head off instead!

Well we can always make a more "obvious" killing machine. Like putting the critter in a box with a large blade above it that comes down rapidly once the dupe puts the critter in and moves his hands away. The advantage of the injection imo was that it is cleaner and could be done on the ground or at the grooming station.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, H3PO4 said:

that is so grossly inhumane for me (I dunno if anyone else feels the same way, but I can't bear to see those adorable critters I tamed and raised bear such fates at the hands of my dupes

I agree we pretty much already have human rights extending to robots. The first robots got citicenship in saudi arabia.

We need a new NGO who fights for the rights of Pixel critters!

Also i really believe there should be a game mechanism that prevents dupes from eating those adorable critters, maybe some kind of nature protecting NGO that will tell all your dupes to not enter any place where a critter is ( wildlife reservoir )

The fact that you can domesticate them doesn’t mean you own them. This is still harsh world. When you think you are the god of all critters, you will think about how to kill them humanely. But you are not, you are only surviving the harsh world, and the relationship between you two is you eat upon each other (critter consumes your potential resources such as food left on kitchen ground). When you think you are in control, you will do thing that you deem as good, but does damage to environment unintentionally. So to me, I’d like to keep it real, let’s kill “in-humanely”

That's not it... I think the injection booth idea is too reminiscent of real life situations (As when I had to euthanize my old cat when she was too sick). Really not a big fan of having this kind of thing cheerfully automated on a massive scale in a game like ONI. 

Thats why I think some indirect, silliest alternative would the best option, even if they are a bit violent. I like the zapping node idea that could officially serve as a defense turret but double as a critter killing machine. Plus, there is no dupe-work involved! 

I mean, Duplicants are like these innocent, fragile little creatures. Do you really want to make them butcher critters on a regular basis ? They would develop depression. This is not Rimworld. :p

Archived