What is damaging my glass tiles?

Having an issue with my solar panel generating station. Everything is working perfectly expect for the fact that my glass tiles are randomly taking damage and I cannot figure out the source. At first I thought they were overheating (why I was dumping water on them) but then I saw the damaged one take a bit more damage right in front of my eyes. No prompt indicating what was doing it. Is it the regolith sitting on it? The wire running through it? Space exposure. 

rqetretr.jpg

That is what I was thinking at first too. It is protected by bunkers, with enough space that it cannot be damaged by the 1 tile shock of a meteor impact. At first I was thinking it was a glitch from impact damage going too far, or a meteor glitching through the bunker, but I was never able to visually confirm it until now. I just saw the damage tick down with no meteor storms active. 
I am doing an experiment where I have the exhaust of a natural gas generator venting under the glass (to absorb the heat from the glass and then evaporate into space) could it be damage from an pressure imbalance? How much pressure can glass tiles take?

I´ve encountered this before. Its some kind of glitch in the engine. If you experience it. save, reload, repair. It should be fine for some while, before you run into it again. The main cause is, the bunker doors wont close in time when not on screen. (a known bug) Then meteors come through, and from that point on, the tile takes damage over time, without reason, until its broken.

Did you build the glass tiles on the mesh tiles, replacing them? I remember having a weird bug where replacing airflow or mesh tiles with solid ones caused them to break from "pressure damage" like if the gas got trapped inside and exploded the tiles. I thought it was fixed long ago but maybe i was wrong.

If it is this then removing the tiles and rebuilding them should work.

Edit: i tried to reproduce that bug but with no success. So i don`t know if that was the issue.

7 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

I´ve encountered this before. Its some kind of glitch in the engine. If you experience it. save, reload, repair. It should be fine for some while, before you run into it again. The main cause is, the bunker doors wont close in time when not on screen. (a known bug) Then meteors come through, and from that point on, the tile takes damage over time, without reason, until its broken.

This. You can't trust bunker doors offscreen. You could, a little, but you have to be careful to not ever scroll your screen and make them visible while they are closing... that's a recipe for disaster. Totally unreliable closing times and random damage, everywhere on the top layer. Also you can have all sorts of weird things happen on loading if they are connected to an automation circuit... well, they probably are. Maybe it's just my hamster powered PC lagging behind, maybe not.

5 hours ago, 6Havok9 said:

This. You can't trust bunker doors offscreen.

The actual behaviour is that doors close/open off screen as long as you don`t look there. The doors have an internal timer that turns them their state about 40s after recieving a signal but the animation is not going on since it`s off screen. If you look there  before they fully close the animation starts from the beginning making them close later.

That said with around 20% detection grid i didn`t have a single meteor damage my glass tiles for over 300 cycles. I`d blame power shortages if it was meteor damage.

10 hours ago, Neotuck said:

he might have been planing on building sweepers and robo miners there

except it is easy to have a 2 tile ceiling for the robominer above the glass to keep the glass clean while not impacting solar (unless you have the thermium)

58 minutes ago, chemie said:

except it is easy to have a 2 tile ceiling for the robominer above the glass to keep the glass clean while not impacting solar (unless you have the thermium)

play style? not every one has the same solution on dealing with overheating problems in a vacuum

37 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

Out of curiosity why are you using glass in the space biome? It's blocks a percentage of light so it hurts solar power and it completely blocks scanners. Why not use airflow or mesh tiles? They do not affect solar or scanners at all.

I can't speak for OP but if you have to transfer heat away from machines like sweepers and robo-miners you have to use glass because mesh and airflow tiles act like insulators in a vacuum

and it doesn't hurt solar panels, they can achieve 100% efficiency even with a fourth of it covered in shadow 

1 hour ago, JohnFrancis said:

Why not use airflow or mesh tiles? They do not affect solar or scanners at all.

I`d say some people might consider that an exploit. I`m prety sure this will change eventually especially now that it blocks decor and light from lamps.

3 hours ago, Neotuck said:

doesn't hurt solar panels, they can achieve 100% efficiency even with a fourth of it covered in shadow

Can't remember the exact figure but I believe glass absorbs 10% of the Lux value which will decrease solar power generation. To transfer heat away from robominers I place the robominers on airflow tiles with a drop of liquid on them and run radiant pipes through the area. This method has allowed me to keep all my miners free of overheat problems.

I`d say some people might consider that an exploit.

Oh, if they remove the ability of mesh and airflow to do that it's going to make managing Telescopes much more difficult.

2 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

Can't remember the exact figure but I believe glass absorbs 10% of the Lux value which will decrease solar power generation. To transfer heat away from robominers I place the robominers on airflow tiles with a drop of liquid on them and run radiant pipes through the area. This method has allowed me to keep all my miners free of overheat problems.

as I said before there are many play styles that work, be open to new ideas

The max LUX a solar panel can absorb is 50K and daylight goes up to 80K so you can afford 10% LUX loss and still have your panels generating 100% efficiency 

14 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

Oh, if they remove the ability of mesh and airflow to do that it's going to make managing Telescopes much more difficult.

You plan to sunburn your scientists? 

7 minutes ago, Man in the Mist said:

That should be a good idea even without the threat of sunburn.  Get to look out for interesting celestial bodies without that damn sun getting in the way.

Just the thought of looking at a sun though a telescope... 

Image result for burning eyes meme

Btw: the telescope protects them from sunburn now. (since QoL1 i think)

I don`t have much problems managing the telescope without mesh or airflow tiles above. Only issue is the regolith sometimes forming below the telescope on game load. If it is high enough it can cause the telescope to overheat. Also there`s always a safe mode with bunker tiles above the telescope leaving you with 45% effciency.

20 hours ago, Neotuck said:

The max LUX a solar panel can absorb is 50K and daylight goes up to 80K so you can afford 10% LUX loss and still have your panels generating 100% efficiency 

This assumes the entire panel is exposed to light.  With a staggered setup, this becomes more of an issue.

Archived