Begginer-ish Tips I Found Very Helpful (QOL Mk1 Update)

I am no professional at this game(longest survived is 400 cycles, but I often restart to see if I can do better), but these are the tips I frequently use & found useful, so thought it would help other folks who only recently started this game. Hope you enjoy, and those who are more experienced, please gift me with your wisdom.

I would disagree with the statement about not using deoderizers with algae terrariums.

ALWAYS use a deoderizer next to algae terrariums, there is no need to waste your algae resource, sand is in greater supply and less valuable than algae and the deoderizer makes the terrariums more efficient.

In reality, growing your bristle berries with freshly sieved water more often than not leads to your bristles being too hot to grow, be sure to use Wheezeworts if you do this.

I would also disagree with providing the electrolyzer with dirty water.  Electrolyzers should be fed a clean supply of water.

While dupes do not get ill from being covered in slimelung germs, they do contaminate your base with it, it eventually gets in large enough quantities that it contaminates food and your dupes end up with food poisoning.

Basically, scrap 4:03 onwards, it's bad advice.  Keeping your dupes clean is paramount to a colonies survival, particularly if you play with very low immunity settings.

Good video all in all.

A very good tip I saw a while ago, was to use the PW from toilets before it goes to the sieve to condense cool steam vents.

58 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

ALWAYS use a deoderizer next to algae terrariums

Agree, this is a good way to create the clay for an early ceramic production

58 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I would also disagree with providing the electrolyzer with dirty water. 

I play without immunity regeneration and even under this conditions I would recommend feeding your germy water to the electrolyzer.

(Food poisoning in air does no harm and is even able to kill slimelung germs.)

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.41dad83aed0a5e774353ebf2e7c00cbd.png

1 minute ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I play without immunity regeneration and even under this conditions I would recommend feeding your germy water to the electrolyzer.

(Food poisoning in air does no harm and is even able to kill slimelung germs.)

I stand corrected.

5 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I would disagree with the statement about not using deodorizers with algae terrariums.

ALWAYS use a deodorizer next to algae terrariums, there is no need to waste your algae resource, sand is in greater supply and less valuable than algae

Perhaps you did not get my points properly. In the video, I meant "stop feeding terrarium with algae & water once PW is dropped. Let the PW bottle become source of (unpleasant) breathable gas and disable terrarium". Unless you want to make clay like Lilalaunekuh mentioned, there's really no need for deodorizer in absence of slimelung. So don't use any more resource (be it algae, water or sand) besides already dropped polluted water.

6 hours ago, Craigjw said:

and the deodorizer makes the terrariums more efficient.

Really? How? I had no idea on that one, could you explain please?

In reality, growing your bristle berries with freshly sieved water more often than not leads to your bristles being too hot to grow, be sure to use Wheezeworts if you do this.

Which I clearly mentioned on 2:25. Though I used electrolyzer as an example for the clip, I meant for the crops as well.

5 hours ago, Craigjw said:

While dupes do not get ill from being covered in slimelung germs, they do contaminate your base with it, it eventually gets in large enough quantities that it contaminates food and your dupes end up with food poisoning.

You can't get slimelung disease by ingesting slimelung germ, and definetely not food poisoning (two different germs right there). When making this video, I tested it by making a dupe called Ellie eat mushbar covered with 78,000 slimelung germs.

image.thumb.png.697b7aefa0b4ada5dca9aaccc67f726c.png 

Though she was covered with slimelung as a result, the germs did not enter her biological system. So food contaminated with slimelung is actually ok to eat (surprised me too). 

BUT, yes, as I said at the end of my video it is still a terrible idea to let contaminated dupes run around. For example, if a dupe covered in slimelung deliver algae to oxygen diffuser, hell breaks loose. What I wanted to give through that 'germ safe' tip was better understanding of how slimelung and food poisoning germ mechanics work, not message "hey, it's alright to have few outbreaks here and there". Still, if that's what you thought, that is my fault for poor delivery.

Good video all in all.

Ah, thank you so much. This is my first video on oxygen not included, and it's nice to hear that. Your comments before, though I object some of them, are also valuable (guess I have to improve my ways on how to deliver context).

"deodorizers waste resources"?

"desperate enough to use terrariums"? 

You really should play the game more before giving advise,

First off deodorizers only use sand and that's easier to come by than water or algae.  It also produces clay which is needed for ceramics

Second when used properly with deodorizers, the terrariums are more effective oxygen producers than the diffuses or electrolyzers

44 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

"deodorizers waste resources"?

If used unnecessarily, it is a waste of resource

44 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

"desperate enough to use terrariums"? 

yeah, that was more of a personal opinion. Should not have done that on objective tip video

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

You really should play the game more before giving advise,

they're not really my advise (as I clearly said on video,) I too got these from someone else, found them quite helpful so I just put them together. people have different playing styles I guess.

Terrariums drop bottles of polluted water, these off-gas Polluted O2, the PO2 can be converted to clean O2 by the deoderizer, hence, deoderizers make terrariums more efficient, plus you get clay.

Sand is effectively unlimited, as you can make igneous from melting regolith, which can be ground down to sand at the crusher.  Algae is not really unlimited, as it's difficult to make, as puft farms aren't effective at making algae, as it is as easy to make sand.

Germs get on the dupes hands, these hands are not cleaned 100% by sinks, these remaining germs then get passed to equipment and food stuffs in the kitchen. food gets contaminated by germs, dupes get food poisoning.

Perhaps I should use effective over the use of efficient? Meh, same difference.

24 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Sand is effectively unlimited, as you can make igneous from melting regolith, which can be ground down to sand at the crusher.  Algae is not really unlimited, as it's difficult to make, as puft farms aren't effective at making algae, as it is as easy to make sand.

You can use regolith in deodorizers so why take the extra steps to turn it into sand?

46 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Dupes get stressed by breathing PO2, for that 10% cost, the benefits of using deoderizers out weigh the benefits of having your dupes breathe in the PO2, in most cases.

Is this new? Never seen dupe's stress go up because of PO2 before.

7 hours ago, Craigjw said:

Terrariums drop bottles of polluted water, these off-gas Polluted O2, the PO2 can be converted to clean O2 by the deoderizer, hence, deoderizers make terrariums more efficient, plus you get clay.

The amount of breathable gas does not increase. I think the better word here is 'safe' than 'efficient'

Germs get on the dupes hands, these hands are not cleaned 100% by sinks

Yes they are, since dupes stay on the sink as long as their body is covered with germ 

Dupes get stressed by breathing PO2, for that 10% cost, the benefits of using deoderizers out weigh the benefits of having your dupes breathe in the PO2, in most cases.

No they don't? I checked wikis and other pages, and they do not say anything about PO2 causing stress. Is this new?

52 minutes ago, JamesBucket said:

Yes they are, since dupes stay on the sink as long as their body is covered with germ 

That`s true most of the time. But when a dupe has an insane amount of germs, like if he was touching slime it leaves some on him. Not that slimelung on the dupe is a problem. Also i think that the time they wash is always the same.

Archived