Don't Starve: Why insanity isn't Hard Enough [Video]

12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah, because why should Klei care about their game when they can just leave everything for modders, right?

9 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I mean, Bethesda has been doing that for years now. It's gone quite well for them so far hasn't it?

Oh... wait...

T H A N K
   Y O U

Seriously. So many mechanics and quick additions in this game have been thrown in and left without being fleshed out, logically expanded upon, polished...ect. And 'well you cAN MOD IT THO' is a common argument for leaving them as-is. Character balancing. Basic multiplayer admin utilities. Pets. Winona in general. Ect.

Even moreso than Bethesda...DST a good while after an update reminds me of Spore, and the empty feeling that game creates.
A bunch of half-finished ideas that, by their own rights, are a great basis for a game.
...but just that. A basis. Not a game, but a framework for the hope that the playerbase would make a game.

That empty feeling is what a game becomes when it stops trying to be a game, and lets itself be satisfied with 'well, the community will finish it for us!'.

Skins are fine. They're a legit funding strategy.
But I really hope DST starts focusing less on adding content, and more on finishing what's already in the game. The 'OOH, SHINEY' excitement of piling on more half-features doesn't last nearly as long as the good feeling of playing a game that feels polished and complete...and yes, that also applies to multiplayer games.
To this day, I still find myself going back to a certain title from 2004 now and then, because it had that finished feeling.
Multiplayer isn't all about grab-and-run. It can be long-lasting.

On 1/19/2019 at 3:55 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

I mean, Bethesda has been doing that for years now. It's gone quite well for them so far hasn't it?

Oh... wait...

You guys are asking for an entirely new game mode solely to cater to you and suddenly because someone suggests mods Klei automatically becomes Bethesda? Good god talk about spoiled.

The people that frequent these forums are not an example of the typical user base. The difficulty is fine.

10 minutes ago, Xehanightmare said:

You guys are asking for an entirely new game mode solely to cater to you and suddenly because someone suggests mods Klei automatically becomes Bethesda? Good god talk about spoiled.

The people that frequent these forums are not an example of the typical user base. The difficulty is fine.

Talk about not understanding the subtext.

Fang didn't say that Klei is Bethesda 2.0. In fact most people on these forums praise Klei for not stealing from the players.

What Fang meant is that leaving adding/fixing content to the modders won't do any good.

Also...

Even if most players are bad then what does that matter? As I said earlier 95% of new players watch tutorials and gameplays. So when new players notices sanity going down here are most thing that will happen:

-They'll start picking up flowers as they probably have noticed that they raise sanity.

-They'll ask on the chat "What is brain?" "How raise brain?"

-They'll gogle search a tutorial or guide.

Op's point is still very valid. Insanity isn't a dangerous mechanic unless it happens at the wrong moment. And even then a good player will be able to fight nightmares, boss and even other hazards. Reward (nightmare fuel) is op and that's why most "pro" players say that it's better to be insane than sane.

2 hours ago, Xehanightmare said:

My comment was mostly an off topic, not so subtle jab at Bethesda for their over-reliance on their modding community to fix things for them. It was more meant as a joke then anything. Where exactly in that was I comparing Klei to Bethesda?

On 1/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, Neutral_Steve said:

I would like that insanity effects interact with the player and the character.

Eternal Darkness somewhat plays well with the players, but that's a horror game, however, in survival games those kind of effects can be replicated by creating confusion or/and punishing the players memory

- Creating fake stuffs like science machines, campfires, and any structure that (is near/has been destroyed/got burnt) confusing the player if that is a real object, upon trying to craft in a science machine it wont work and the character and the player will realize the science machine was just an illusion.

- The meters would apparent having high health/hunger (but when you hover you realize you have less health/hunger that you actually thought you had)

- Items appears in your inventory but not being actually there, having free space will replicate any weapon or armor you crafted, any item with durability will appear with less or more durability, example, having a 11% fueled miner hat, but actually having 47%, causing the player to get confused, fresh food that is actually spoiled or spoiled food that is actually fresh, or another example having two spears but you actually crafted one, having more or less food that you currently have, well, I think you got it, making hallucinations more real.

- Hallucinate status effects like starving, overheat, freezeing.

- During hound or some enemies like spiders that appears out screen or appears inside of some struccture (spiders) spawns some of them that are actually real, whenever you hit them they despawn.

- Hearing false hound/worm attacks or any giant attacks (character may announce it too)

- The sound getting muted slowly (being unable to hear things close of you)

I think some of this is a bit overkill, but i do like the concept of illusions, such as fake mobs or fake alerts for bosses, or events no screenshaking.
because I think total insanity, should be survivable for a little bit, but should be ramped up enough that it destroys the insanity Meta I see touted.I also thing some of this should be put on a dynamic timer. as a lot of avoiding DS is knowing everything too well so having a timer that flucates from a wide range can always on your toes for when all the bad stuff kicks in.Which can be a mind game all on its own because you might just avoid insanity for a time because you know whenever those extra shadows kick in, your not equipped to deal with them or can't afford the wasted time.

We have to remember that causal players already face certain death when they go insane, so keeping things that are limited only to experienced players, while only showing new players when they are at the skill to eventually start having to deal with this.

Personally I find the whole "YOU _SHOULD_ BE INSANE IN DON'T STARVE!!" thing really tiresome...not only because it's an Edgy (P)rick thing, and I hate his arrogant biased suicide-suggesting bratty little guts, but because, I dunno...I don't actually USE, or care about, nightmare fuel that much, aside from what is needed to make my shadow manipulator and useful items like life amulets?  And because sanity is awesome.  I LIKE _COLOURS_, DAMMIT.  Also a lack of creepy sounds in your ear all the time.  Major fan of that.

Also, do you really wanna be on your guard all.  the freaking.  TIME?!  That gets so annoying!  Creepy noises in your ear, constantly having to worry about something attacking you at any moment, instead of only when hounds show up or you _choose_ to go near something dangerous...some people may like that but it's not for me.  I like moments of freaking PEACE from time to time.  Being insane all the time just sounds so annoying and tiresome. Just...ugh, god, leave me ALONE for a second!

ANYway, about mods...here's the problem that has always been with mods:  If you put something REALLY into the game, say it with me everybody: EVERYBODY HAS TO DEAL WITH IT, NOT JUST THE PEOPLE WHO WANTED THAT CHANGE.  That's why mods are the best compromise we have right now!  Want to make the game harder for yourself but NOT ruin it for everyone else?  Great!  Use a mod!  That's what they're for!   Every bit of content that _actually_ makes it into the game for realsies undergoes all kinds of testing and betas and thinking around and around it...whereas stuff one person randomly wants does not go through anywhere near that level of care.  For example, I like the Actual Season Randomiser mod, but is that for everybody?  Dear gods no!  In fact, I put something about random seasons into the description of every server I make that has them...just in case anybody ever reads descriptions.  : P

That's _why_ you make/use a mod for your idea instead!  Because not everybody wants to play the game the same way as you.  Mods are not perfect at all, no, but they're the only compromise we _have_ at the moment between "Nobody gets to try this new thing at all" and "EVERYBODY IS _FORCED_ TO".  .

..Notorious

5 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(snip)

..Notorious

Well… this doesn't change the fact that insanity needs to be somehow changed.

Also...

Imo the best way to compromise between noobs and good players is for Klei to add hard mode into the world generating options. So experienced people can turn it off if they want the game to be hard for tchem again. And noobs can keep dying but in default world

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Personally I find the whole "YOU _SHOULD_ BE INSANE IN DON'T STARVE!!" thing really tiresome...not only because it's an Edgy (P)rick thing, and I hate his arrogant biased suicide-suggesting bratty little guts, but because, I dunno.

I hate this guy as much as you do but please you (and everyone who hates him) should stop talking about him because by doing so you are just helping him growing. The best way to deal with these kind of cancer is simply by ignoring him. By doing so you ain't fueling any controversy involving him.

On 18/01/2019 at 11:59 PM, Szczuku said:

The best way to make game harder without "discourging" noobs from playing it (but let's be real here 95% of new players watch tutorials) would be to add hard mode. And I mean a proper hard mode not changing the numbers of mobs from defaul to more and lots

ok so whats the wall of flesh equivalent for dst?

Archived