Algae Terrarium water source

Yes, thanks for the compliment!  My issue here was not of O2 generation but rather of distributing the pressure, specifically lessening the pressure in my terrarium/farm area and distributing it to my living areas.

Quick math check please: terrarium makes 40g/s O2 and dupes uses 100g/s so 2.5 terrariums per dupe or 5 terrariums per 2 dupes, correct?  Or is there some other factor I'm missing? I don't have light on my terrariums yet so my O2 production number may be a bit off.

9 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Quick math check please: terrarium makes 40g/s O2 and dupes uses 100g/s so 2.5 terrariums per dupe or 5 terrariums per 2 dupes, correct?  Or is there some other factor I'm missing? I don't have light on my terrariums yet so my O2 production number may be a bit off.

yes however you have your terrariums in light so they should produce 44g/s not 40

that just means if you have 25 terrariums you can have 11 dupes instead of 10

3 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Here it is:

The pressure at the terrarium level is 2200+, the farms are about 2600+ with some tiles even at 3800+ (polluted O2) whereas my bedrooms are at 1500

OK, I'm sure that plenty of people have replied by now, since there's another page of replies.. but I'll have a go anyway.  It appears that the polluted oxygen in your mealwood farm level is hampering the distribution of oxygen.  Because oxygen and polluted oxygen are equally buoyant, the oxygen won't push past the polluted oxygen.  This means that the air from your algae farms is only entering your base through the sides.  Throw some deoderizers in there and clean the polluted oxygen out and your base will do a lot better.

Thanks but the issue existed even prior to the increase in polluted O2.  Initially, I did not have those airflow tiles and it was only the terrarium level that had high pressure so I thought that if I opened up the 2 farm levels above, it would help with circulation as it now had 3 level to spread out as well as 3 level-sides to use too, but after putting the airflow tiles, I only noticed that the farm levels increase in pressure but the rest of the base still somehow retained the same pressure levels.

9 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Please note that the math works as a bare minimum if you are clearing the polluted water bottles. If you leave the polluted water bottles to offgas, the terrariums will ultimately need to run less than 1 cycle in 10.

"run less than 1 cycle in 10"??

3 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Lastly, that's way more terrariums than you need for 12 (or less) dupes. I find 12 terrariums are just about perfect for 8 dupes and 8 exosuit docks. 

One terrarium without light is 40g/s oxygen.  Each dupe breathes 100g/s.  So you'll need 2.5 terrariums per dupe (if you're not using the polluted water bottles for oxygen, which is the case in the screenshot you're referencing).  There are 25 or 26 terrariums (small screen, hard to count) in the screenshot, which will provide enough oxygen for 10 dupes with a little extra left over.  If a couple of dupes also have Diver's Lungs, then the shown terrariums could provide enough oxygen for 11 dupes.

2 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

"run less than 1 cycle in 10"??

Another method of using terrariums is to keep the polluted water bottles and let them off-gas polluted oxygen.  This gets cleaned up by deoderizers and turned into clean oxygen.  If you're using this method, then you can use substantially fewer algae terrariums and get the same production rate once you have enough bottles.  Here's a screenshot of my oxygen farm:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6be2ef0d9a5487c3052ac8d84b0a1e51.png

The automation was added later and all it does is disable the algae terrariums once O2 pressure is high enough.  The trade-off is that you're converting polluted water to oxygen directly, so you'll need a good water source just like you would if you had electrolyzers.  On the other hand, you're using almost no algae.

Just now, GoHereDoThis said:

I see!  I remember that it was a 1:1 rate so that's 27.3g/s polluted O2 which I think a deodorizer can immediately clean up?

Not quite, but close.  It turns out to be 0.880g/s oxygen per 1g/s water, after removing what the terrarium uses and the loss from filtering polluted O2 through the deoderizers.  Which makes it almost the same as an electrolyzer (0.888 g/s oxygen per 1g/s water).   If you're using the reservoir method for filling PW bottles, then the ratio changes to 0.90g/s oxygen per 1g/s polluted water, which is slightly better than an electrolyzer.

30 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I see!  I remember that it was a 1:1 rate so that's 27.3g/s polluted O2 which I think a deodorizer can immediately clean up?

I'm thinking I can save some of my bottles to off-gas and the rest I will move to my polluted water tank if I need to.

I'd save them all. There are other ways of getting polluted water into pipes so I'd just leave all the bottles laying around. 

I guess I didn't look close enough at your initial screen shot and thought you were allowing offgassing. 

Just now, beowulf2010 said:

I guess I didn't look close enough at your initial screen **** and thought you were allowing offgassing. 

Aside from "harvesting" the polluted water on other biomes and the toilets, what other way to get polluted water?

I do allow off-gassing in the colony shown in my screenshots

15 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

How did you get 0.88g/s or 0.9g/s?

An algae terrarium consumes 30g/s algae and 300g/s water and produces 40g/s oxygen (44 with a light) and 290.33g/s polluted water.  That results in 0.9678g/s polluted water per 1g/s water.   A deoderizer consumes 100g/s polluted oxygen and 133.33g/s filtration medium (sand/regolith) and produces 90g/s oxygen and 143.33g/s clay.  This means that 1g/s polluted oxygen becomes 0.90g/s clean oxygen after filtering.

Next you have your bottle of polluted water.  If you fill it with a reservoir, then you're not converting it from clean -- you're using polluted water that's already there.  Polluted water will convert 1:1 to polluted oxygen, so the losses don't kick in until you scrub the air with a deoderizer.  As shown above, that results in 0.9g/s clean oxygen.

If you use the terrariums to fill bottles with polluted water, then you lose some clean water in the process (its used by the terrarium).  So your bottle is producing 0.9678g/s polluted oxygen per 1g/s clean water.  Pass that through the deoderizer and you get 0.88g/s clean oxygen for every 1/gs clean water you started with.

I should also point out that if you're using terrariums to fill your polluted water bottles, then the missing water (9.67g/s) is converting to oxygen at a rate of 44g/s.  This is 4.55g/s oxygen per 1g/s water, which improves the results.  I'm too tired to run the math right now, but it definitely keeps your oxygen-to-water ratio better than when you use an electrolyzer.

Just now, GoHereDoThis said:

Yeah, I guess they don't off-gas in that situation?  I was trying out the suggestions here but didn't have a runoff system for the extra water.

Bottles don't off-gas if submerged so, yeah, they're not doing anything.  It gets trickier if you want to flood your terrariums AND produce by off-gas, but its still possible.  Mostly you have to drop the bottles and the water, then catch the bottles on mesh tiles and pump the water back up on top of the terrariums.  I did a post here that shows a working method.

4 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Yep!  Do you have a slightly more zoomed out shot?  I'd like to see how you've organized the rest of your base around this.  Thanks!

I start off making 16 by 4 rooms with 4 tile gaps between them, I adjust sizes as needed but follow this general pattern as I expand

20190118224406_1.thumb.jpg.561117a6520f657d7d959472c10fd261.jpg

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

overkill

algae only needs to be loaded once every 10 to 15 cycles

1 hour ago, Xuhybrid said:

Just add two sweepers and it's done.

It is overkill regarding algae, but for clay and sand definitely isn't. I have a terrarium setup very much like Neotuck's, it was the first permanent project I built in the base and the first system I automated by making it supply 4 kilns running non stop. Currently at cycle 700 and this thing is still my only oxygen supply in the living area, and looking at the many, many, MANY tons of sand, clay and ceramic that have come and gone, I'd say that automation was definitely worth it.

Spoiler

ONIpo2Clay.jpg.9dbf4d5a2480a166ef3ef44ff5de9c1e.jpg

Archived