Algae Terrarium water source

Is there a way to force the terrarium to use the water from the water sieve (the one with germs) instead of the fresh water from the map?  I've put the contaminated water nearer to the terrariums but sometimes it depends where the dupes are coming from and they'd take from my fresh water every now and again as well.

Dupes tend to target sources and destinations based on their position when a task is assigned to them, rather than taking the relative proximity of the task and relevant equipment or buildings into account.  This has been a focus of discussion in another thread recently, about how Dupes will choose a Storage Compactor that is close to them at the time a Sweep Task is handed out to them, rather than a Compactor close to the Sweep job.

The best way to achieve what you want would be to simply flood the Terrariums with the water you want them to use.  In this case, the germ filled water coming from your Water Sieve.  The Terrariums will absorb water from their base if there is any on the ground, which also reduces the burden the Terrariums will cast on your Dupes.  They will now only need to deliver Algae, and remove Polluted Water, since they can draw their own clean (germy) water instead of requiring the Dupes to bring it.

Yeah, both water sources have pumps.

How exactly would this liquid vent setup look like?  I'm guessing putting some blocks at either ends of the terrarium so that the water doesn't go all over the place?  But then the dupes will get wet every time they have to do something in the terrarium area?  I know this is not much of an issue but is one I'd like to avoid if possible.  I guess there's no way to irrigate the terrariums via water pipes?

How so?

As for the polluted water produced by the terrariums, is it a good idea to leave it there for a good while?  I'm thinking since it gives off polluted O2 and I have deodorizers in the area, then it's essentially "free" O2?  Or would I be doing the same if I were to move it to a reservoir that's also surrounded by deodorizers?

5 minutes ago, snoozer said:

oxy.thumb.jpg.b0d0e00f666fe7193c72ca4bcf040bcd.jpg

A setup like this wouldn´t require water deliveries. But pWaterbottles woundn´t offgas , and have to be dropped into the chamber below once a day to do so.

Might want to replace the airflow tiles with another mech door, just so you can automate the off-gassing too.

this is cycle 176 (i'm currently on 184) I decided around 180 to decommission this setup finally so thankfully this was still available, I'd already stopped deliveries and turned the valve delivering water to zero at this point.

In practice it turns out I needed to have the flow rate higher than 300 per unit, I guess due to the way water sticks to the floor rather than freely sliding - we don't have inclines after all.  It was also occasionally necessary to stop the valve in order to allow built up co2 to fall properly.  Otherwise it would end layered (water on the bottom, po2, o2 and then co2) all bubbling around so no doubt co2 was making it down, but the gas mechanics led to a lot of chaos and co2 building up in the room above! lol.   turning off the water for a short time allowed the co2 to settle and slide in from the side. I then would turn the water back up and away it would go :)

the underside of my base is a large co2 reservoir with mushrooms in it. there is pump visible that is automated to move co2 if it accumulates above that line, these times are usually what trigger the above mentioned issues with co2. 

My pWater reservoir on the right was set to sweep only, that way i could select when and what was emptied since the until more recently the pO2 out gas was a major part of my oxygen supply.  it would stop emitting when the pressure got high and resume as it drops. My base is open so as I expand my diggings this would happen over and over.

My washroom and showers and looped in an infinite cycle and the excess passes to storage tanks which eventually leads to an overflow out in the wilderness (lol. typical westerner, right?)  There is a pump in the pWater tank to push it into the system setup to allow the normal flow of the bathroom system to have priority (so it doesn't back up and stop working) I set up automation to turn off the pump if the system got backed up before adding the overflow and never thought to remove it. oops. lol

There are a TON of deodorizers because at times the amount of pO2 would exceed their capacity and it would accumulate in the room above so i kept adding them until it stopped being an issue.

I like these things better than the oxygen diffuser, more fun and it feels like it stretched my algae further.  I could have used doors and automation to turn off the terrariums when the pressure was right but found it ultimately just leads to excessive automation beeping lol.

Hope this helps someone

Screeny.png

2 hours ago, snoozer said:

You know you can turn that off in the audio options?

lol. yes.  but in other circumstances i like hearing it occasionally beep.  weird perhaps. :)

I've realized something about my design.  while there was water on the floor the bottles wouldnt outgas due to the one thing per tile rule. something i'll take into account the next time I build something like it. it worked but not as well as it could hav

11 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

with what? water bottles?

2 minutes ago, snoozer said:

nope, read again...

they would help with algae deliveries but not with emptying.  it would help but honestly I didnt have any stress issues until i put a waterlock in else where and all my ranchers had to pass through.   nothing a massage table couldn't fix, i was pleased not to build a clinic until turn 170 or so, i like it when i can keep stress really low :)

4 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

But then the dupes will get wet every time they have to do something in the terrarium area?  I know this is not much of an issue but is one I'd like to avoid if possible.

I would assume this concern is about algae deliveries.

8 minutes ago, snoozer said:

I would assume this concern is about algae deliveries.

and then you assumed the rest of us knew what you were talking about? :D

but algae terrariums use very little algae, most likely the issue would be emptying PW from them

2 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Both, actually.  Plus my compost heap is past the terrariums as well.

i recommend you redesign that part.  the walked in water (whatever its called) is minor unlike the soaking wet and they only have to empty occasionally. :)  Remember i'm not theory-crafting here :)

I have a question for you @GoHereDoThis

what is the objective of your build? producing O2 or PW?

If it's to produce O2 might I suggest this design, the terrariums are automated with an atmo sensor and germy water from a sieve is fed from underneath

Deodorizers turn the extra PO2 into O2 that off gasses from the PW bottles

This build works great for saving both water and algae (It's a bit costly on sand though but that's easier to produce than the other two)

as a bonus you get plenty of clay for ceramics or feeding hatches

20181212063114_1.thumb.jpg.203b8f68968ea772461c27e597fbab8c.jpg20181212063136_1.thumb.jpg.d5bb5b81c80ff4c19a38d76c48ff8ed3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I have a question for you @GoHereDoThis

what is the objective of your build? producing O2 or PW?

If it's to produce O2 might I suggest this design, the terrariums are automated with an atmo sensor and germy water from a sieve is fed from underneath

Deodorizers turn the extra PO2 into O2 that off gasses from the PW bottles

This build works great for saving both water and algae (It's a bit costly on sand though but that's easier to produce than the other two)

as a bonus you get plenty of clay for ceramics or feeding hatches

20181212063114_1.thumb.jpg.203b8f68968ea772461c27e597fbab8c.jpg20181212063136_1.thumb.jpg.d5bb5b81c80ff4c19a38d76c48ff8ed3.jpg

I see you've upgraded your design.

@Neotuck you've shown me that design before... or at least the earlier version!  That would be my long-term goal but for the early- to mid-game, just for O2 really.  I don't need polluted water.... I think.  At least not for anything other than recycling the whole thing back into the terrariums.

Do the polluted water bottles eventually run out of polluted O2?

By asking me if I wanted polluted water, makes me wonder now what you guys use polluted water for?

Archived