Algae Terrarium water source

11 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Do the polluted water bottles eventually run out of polluted O2?

yes they convert PW into PO2 at 1:1 ratio

11 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

By asking me if I wanted polluted water, makes me wonder now what you guys use polluted water for?

PW has many uses, most players look for ways of producing extra when possible. (generators, distillers, bathrooms, etc...) 

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

yes they convert PW into PO2 at 1:1 ratio

PW has many uses, most players look for ways of producing extra when possible. (generators, distillers, bathrooms, etc...) 

Sorry but what does taht 1:1 ratio mean?

As for producing extra, isn't that only the case for bathrooms?  I essentially convert clean (or contaminated) water to polluted water with terrariums, but get less polluted water than the amount of clean water I put in, right?

37 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

As for producing extra, isn't that only the case for bathrooms?  I essentially convert clean (or contaminated) water to polluted water with terrariums, but get less polluted water than the amount of clean water I put in, right?

Are you telling me generators and distillers don't produce extra PW?

30 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

1:1 means that for every g of PW water in a bottle, it will eventually off-gas into 1g of polluted oxygen.

So a bottle of PW will eventually "evaporate"?

17 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Are you telling me generators and distillers don't produce extra PW?

Hmmm... I dunno, been a while since I last played and only really just got the game.

10 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

So a bottle of PW will eventually "evaporate"?

most of it, the rate in which PO2 off gasses depends on how much PW is in the bottle

The off gassing PO2 will slow down as the bottle empties

when there is only a few grams left it will stop off gassing completely 

Hmmm... I dunno, been a while since I last played and only really just got the game.

well they do, natural gas and petroleum generators produce PW and CO2 as "waste"

Distillers also produce PW as "waste" when converting slime into algae

2 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Sorry, I thought you meant "extra" as in the case of the bathroom where you put water in and get more (polluted) water out.  Unless I remember wrong, distillers and generators do not require an input of water?

correct

Assuming both water sources have hand pumps the only way to do this is with door restrictions.  

Half your dupes allowed in germy pump and terrarium.  And other half allowed in water cooler and musher and clean pump room.

It would be kind of a pain.  You will prolly have to move things around.

Quick question -- my terrarium area is around 2000-3000 in terms of pressure but my living areas are just around 1200 or so.  What's the best way to encourage better flow of O2 out from the terrarium area to the rest of the base?

I have two floors of mealwood farm above the terrarium area with about 3 mesh tiles out of every 5 tiles for ventilation, each floor is 4 tiles high, and to the left side is my main ladder/pole section with a 5-tile space (mesh-gap-ladder-pole-mesh) for good airflow but even that doesn't seem to be good enough.

3 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Quick question -- my terrarium area is around 2000-3000 in terms of pressure but my living areas are just around 1200 or so.  What's the best way to encourage better flow of O2 out from the terrarium area to the rest of the base?

A picture would help most.  Generally the best way is to have good airflow.  I have open sides and a mostly-open top, and my algae farms are kept down low.  Here's a SS of my current main base.  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.79ef568641628ea3f20b02e75b5fc6fd.png

I JUST finished filling 3 atmo suit docks, so my pressure are a little unbalanced at the moment.  Below the terrariums the pressure is about 1200.  Most of the rest of my base is 1700 to 1800.  The lowest pressure in the top section of my base is 1600.  The atmo sensors are set to 2000.  The pressure immediately around the terrariums is usually about 2100.  In the cycle before I started filling the suits, most areas of the base were 1800, including the bottom.

In my experience, pressure spreads easier when it doesn't have to fight with other gasses. I'd lower your entire terrarium level by 1 square, replace the ladders with airflow/mesh tiles the same one square lower, and put deodorizers on the airflow/mesh tiles. That will cover pretty much all the polluted oxygen allowing for better distribution.

Anoyher thing that might help if to make a second 4-5 square wide vertical shaft on the right side of the base too. 

Third, 1,500 isn't a bad pressure so you could get away with ignoring it too. 

Lastly, that's way more terrariums than you need for 12 (or less) dupes. I find 12 terrariums are just about perfect for 8 dupes and 8 exosuit docks. 

13 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

I'd lower your entire terrarium level by 1 square

You mean make it 5 squares high rather than 4 squares?

14 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

replace the ladders with airflow/mesh tiles the same one square lower, and put deodorizers on the airflow/mesh tiles.

Not sure what you mean here?  You mean those ladders I'm using so that the dupes don't get wet feet?

I'm still learning about a good number of terrariums for dupes so not suprised I overdid it :)  As for 1500 pressure, not concerned about that but more concerned about the very high pressure in my terrarium/farm areas and how to better disperse it throughout the base, even out the pressures a bit more.

You mean make it 5 squares high rather than 4 squares?

Not sure what you mean here?  You mean those ladders I'm using so that the dupes don't get wet feet?

Exactly. A 5 high room with mesh/airflow tiles in the middle space with deodorizers there so the dupes can jump across the tops to distribute algae and all the polluted oxygen will get converted before getting into the farm area. I think they still have to get wet to pump out the polluted water though. I just have my Dupes water the terrariums so I use a different layout myself. 

As for the high pressure in the bottom, you need a way to stop the algae terrariums from making oxygen/polluted water. Most of us just automate horizontal airlock doors with an atmo sensor set in the 1,800 to 2,500 range. 

You can see a good version of this in one of Neotuck's posts in the "How many seconds in a cycle" thread. 

22 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Thanks for that suggestion, however, I just realized that light does not go past the airflow tiles so that 5-high room won't be very good, I think.  I am in the process of making my own setup inspired by Neotuck.... which is also on p1 on this thread! :D

Heh. Whoops. In my defense, my version uses 2 entire floors of my base and I don't auto-water so I don't have anything between the lights and terrariums. :D

add some airflow tiles between floors to improve airflow

when building a base I generally follow a basic 16 by 4 room design that has 4 airflow tiles evenly spaced

this will allow oxygen to flow up from your terrariums and CO2 to drop down

5c427ad105286_blankroom.thumb.jpg.19cbd3c10d2ff30fcda67b90675be84e.jpg

8 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

If you can see my screenshot, I have even more than that in terms of airflow tiles!  However, at the very top, I only rely on my vertical 5-space shaft to move oxygen upwards, so maybe the gases have easier vertical movement but struggle to move laterally?

this?

take a screenshot in oxygen overlay and I bet we'll see a layer of unbreathable CO2 were I circled

111.thumb.jpg.b985d859e440f77334860c5608433693.jpg 

I was referring to my terrarium and farm area where I have lots of airflow tiles between the levels, but then at the "very top," meaning the ceiling of the uppermost farm level, I don't have much airflow tiles and was hoping that my 5-tile gap/shaft would be enough to then spread the O2 to the rest of my base.  That is why I was asking if it's easier for the gases to move vertically (terrarium and farm area have roughly the same pressures) but struggle to move laterally (moving sideways towards the 5-tile gap)?

Here is the screenshot you requested, and not much CO2 :)  There is a collection in the layer above my dining hall but since I'm not using it, I wasn't too bothered about getting rid of it at the moment.

QFj4MS9.jpg

Archived