Jump to content

What's Emitting Polluted Oxygen in my base?


Recommended Posts

I have a few unexplained gases showing up in my base, and wanted to know where they are coming from.

I have polluted oxygen in various places in my base, but my base is sealed off from the outside biomes via standard airlock doors.

The PO2 appears most of all in an open polluted water reservoir in my base (entrance via standard airlock door). In this room is also my Seive, Fertilizer synthesiser and Natural Gas Generator. However I'm pretty sure that polluted water doesn't emit polluted oxygen?

I have had various polluted water bottles sitting around my base from Terrariums and spills. Do these emit polluted oxygen over time? If so, do they stop emitting polluted oxygen after a while?

Another theory is that at the very bottom of my base is a section that is open to a mostly cleaned slime biome (only a few tiles worth is open). There is a tiny amount of polluted oxygen down there still. Is it possible that over time the polluted oxygen has risen through my base up to where the polluted water section is? But if that's the case, it's weird that there's so much more polluted oxygen in the airlocked section (unless maybe the dupes aren't breathing it so often because it's airlocked).

Note that I do have harvested slime brought in way at the bottom of my base. But I never have excess slime, as it's always used immediately to feed my mushroom farm or pop straight in the algae distiller.

Finally I noticed some storage units emitting green gas bubbles, but clicking on the air around the units only reveals oxygen. Are they actually emitting a gas? Some of them contained bleach stone, but not all of the units containing bleach stone were emitting bubbles. Could the bleach stone have been emitting chlorine from inside the storage unit? 

Any ideas? Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

However I'm pretty sure that polluted water doesn't emit polluted oxygen?

 

yes it does

4 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

Could the bleach stone have been emitting chlorine from inside the storage unit?

yup, doesn't if there is enough air pressure or the storage container is under water; same for all the off gassing materials (slime, oxylite etc.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Moggles said:

That's not true.

Well you are right.

In most cases, it must release PO2 upon dropping on the ground even in CO2 enviornment. However after that it stopped releasing PO2. Probably because CO2 easily gain its highest pressure.

(P.S. I haven’t try the new version yet, I haven’t turn on a computer for long.)

 

Along I have to complain about something in the game:

It still, eats up lots of RAM. A bit laggy when your base grew large or expanded wide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I think that was the assumption at one point and perhaps also the truth once. I do remember in earlier stages of the game polluted oxygen on top of polluted water ponds would build up to easily 100 kg/tile. But nowadays I think it's limited.

Yeah it's limited by pressure now as @ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said.

A long time ago the pressure could also get to insane levels because even though dupes could breath in PO2, the simulation never removed the PO2 from the world. That would lead to infiniate survival. That was fixed a long time ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Moggles said:

Yeah it's limited by pressure now as @ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said.

A long time ago the pressure could also get to insane levels because even though dupes could breath in PO2, the simulation never removed the PO2 from the world. That would lead to infiniate survival. That was fixed a long time ago.

Is that before Automation upgrade?

(I start playin’ from dat version)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jigsawn said:

Any ideas about the bubbles from the storage units?

The bubbles are an indication of something offagassing. I don`t think it`s synced with the gas appearing but it shows a gas is being emit from the storage bins. The green bubble is for polluted oxygen. For clean oxygen (from oxylite) there would be small transparent bubbles and for chlorine (from bleachstone) a light green puff with a charateristic sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have any farting buddy in your team? They emit PO2 (in one of ma playthrought it took me 2 hours to figure out that one of the dupes was farting everywhere).

Polluted water emits polluted oxygen

Polluted dirt from sieve emits polluted oxygen

Rot Piles emits polluted oxygen

Polluted water bottles emits polluted oxygen

Morb emits polluted oxygen

on properties of every material you have info if it emits anything (so when you notice some weird bubble just check what is laying on a floor there).

Maybe just put deodorizers in various places in your base (they are cheap and use sand or regolith which is plenty. i build them everywhere where i have space just in case)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ONIfreak said:

Do you have any farting buddy in your team? They emit PO2 (in one of ma playthrought it took me 2 hours to figure out that one of the dupes was farting everywhere).

Polluted water emits polluted oxygen

Polluted dirt from sieve emits polluted oxygen

Rot Piles emits polluted oxygen

Polluted water bottles emits polluted oxygen

Morb emits polluted oxygen

on properties of every material you have info if it emits anything (so when you notice some weird bubble just check what is laying on a floor there).

Maybe just put deodorizers in various places in your base (they are cheap and use sand or regolith which is plenty. i build them everywhere where i have space just in case)

They actually fart natural gas, not polluted oxygen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ONIfreak said:

Do you have any farting buddy in your team? They emit PO2 (in one of ma playthrought it took me 2 hours to figure out that one of the dupes was farting everywhere).

Polluted water emits polluted oxygen

Polluted dirt from sieve emits polluted oxygen

Rot Piles emits polluted oxygen

Polluted water bottles emits polluted oxygen

Morb emits polluted oxygen

on properties of every material you have info if it emits anything (so when you notice some weird bubble just check what is laying on a floor there).

Maybe just put deodorizers in various places in your base (they are cheap and use sand or regolith which is plenty. i build them everywhere where i have space just in case)

While technically covered with the polluted water emitting P-O2, I noticed that some systems also tend to omit P-O2 if they use polluted water.

For example, I use polluted water to cool my metal refinery. Even though the water is piped in, the refinery seems to emit P-O2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stretch611 said:

While technically covered with the polluted water emitting P-O2, I noticed that some systems also tend to omit P-O2 if they use polluted water.

For example, I use polluted water to cool my metal refinery. Even though the water is piped in, the refinery seems to emit P-O2.

You are correct. I forgot about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slime also emits polluted oxygen once you dig it up, so if you have storage bins, don't select the "all" option or those bins will start emitting polluted oxygen once slime is stored there.

I always have a polluted water room, sealed of airtight, where all the polluted water goes (see picture). The pump accepts only polluted water and has a priority of 9, ensuring any "accident" is cleaned up right away. The storage bin there is used to store slime.

Later in the game there are probably better options, but starting out on a new map this is what I like to do.

polluted_water_room.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Hammerhead9000 said:

Slime also emits polluted oxygen once you dig it up, so if you have storage bins, don't select the "all" option or those bins will start emitting polluted oxygen once slime is stored there.

I always have a polluted water room, sealed of airtight, where all the polluted water goes (see picture). The pump accepts only polluted water and has a priority of 9, ensuring any "accident" is cleaned up right away. The storage bin there is used to store slime.

Later in the game there are probably better options, but starting out on a new map this is what I like to do.

With slime (or any substance that off-gasses) you can just submerse it in liquid to stop it off-gassing.  Simplest thing is to build storage compactors in the water next to your pitcher pump and set that to slime/bleach stone/oxylite. 

The slimelung from the slime doesn't infect the water either. It would actually be somewhat OP if it did since slimelung will wipe out food poisoning (only one disease in a substance at a time apparently) and eating it doesn't cause any issues, just breathing it.

*edit*...err just to add, you probably want to be confident you won't let the water supply drop below those compactors :p not that it's disastrous if you do you'd just lose a bit of mass off your supply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2018 at 8:51 AM, stretch611 said:

I use polluted water to cool my metal refinery. Even though the water is piped in, the refinery seems to emit P-O2.

I currently use metal refineries to completely off gas all my oxygen needs.  They stop off gassing at 1800g pressure.  You can completely live on PO2 (the dupes breathing it doesn't harm them). The only thing you have to worry about is making sure slimelung doesn't get into your PO2 breathing supply (water locks, and don't drag slime through the area).  If looking at it makes you want to hurl, then just spam deodorizers near the off gassing refineries, and your O2 needs are all taken care of (10:9 conversion from PO2 to O2).  Forget all the O2 production facilities, just put up 3 metal refineries per dupe. Oh, and you can occasionally empty the refinery contents into a bottle on the floor, if your pressure is not high enough. 

5c1f177fcf8c7_Screenshotfrom2018-12-1318-48-54.thumb.png.d3d838badd4a090120ccd3af5e1f84fa.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...