• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Soulful Alchemy 2.2.2

7 Screenshots

About This File

Dissolve, brew, enchant, summon, craft, reap, et cetera!

This mod adds a flexible alchemy and potion system and a new kind of magic tech tree. The two branches unite in the powerful spell ritual system.

I recommend installing Tomes of Knowledge, it allows you to acquire helpful books and make alchemy notes.

Alchemy

In the magic tab, there's the so-called Alchemical Distiller. It requires an alchemy engine to unlock (Who'd have thought). Using it, you can extract effects from various ingredients and put them into potions. Combining several ingredients can remove effects or create new ones! Thus experimentation can prove important... or deadly.

By adding the right kinds of ingredients, you can even synthesise regular items (e.g. tentacle spike) or discover unique alchemical items (e.g. mandrake seeds).

It is recommended to make actual notes when experimenting. Also make notes of which potion is which, since their properties do not perfectly reflect their effects.

Soul Magic

When playing around with magic, you might stumble upon the Sinister Tabernacle. It is the first step of a journey you will learn to love and regret at the same time.

To make any soul items, you will need souls (Who'd have thought). The first method to acquire those is spinning a Dream Catcher, it will catch the soul of any sentient creature dying near it (e.g. pigmen).

Spell Nidus

When you are confident with basic alchemy and wrapped your head around souls (figuratively and literally), you can try to make a spell circle with Ghastly Candles. Placing the right objects in it lets you cast a spell. [advanced guide]

Finding a spell is difficult, and moreover dangerous. In the worst case, you could summon a giant and not even notice. Only the luckiest can find a Tome of Knowledge to teach them all spells there are.

Credits

• Mobbstar - Me, the project leader and coder
  • Klei - made Don't Starve, the game this mod is for, and also most textures used in it
  • @Lampofulmine - Ghastly Candle texture
  • @Theinsanefruitloop - Alkahest texture
  • @ImDaMisterL - misc. rune textures

(Boss Music) Plans in Motion by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

If you want to support this mod somehow, feel free to contact me!

Please report all and any bugs you find!

If you want to stay up-to-date, follow to the file using the upper-right button!

[Original Forum Thread]

What's New in Version 2.2.2   See changelog

Released

• Even hotter* hotfix

*Hotness describes likelyhood to crash

• Like 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Suggestion: tons of poisonous ingredients= Super Mega Awesome Potion. 5 seconds of invincibility followed by immediate death

• Like 1

After chatting with some other modders, I think I may rename this mod to "the tuberous potato"

• Like 1

Why Tuberous potato?

Because the code of this version is horrible. (Oh, if you mean the actual choice of words, I had to think of a battery I saw once :razz:) I've reconstructed the mod on my machine already, but won't update the download version just yet. I will, however, take more time for the first actual release, these are just prototypes, to make testers possibly even plausible ;) (again, actual release won't be too soon).

EDIT: Oh yea, and now it's updated, and hopefully somewhat useable.

• Like 1

What do you guys think about transmutable butter? Okay, how about raw Aqua? (aqua is the alchemical element of water... wait that's just a water bottle then, nvm) What about growing hop?

• Like 1

This sounds nice! I really hope for many, many secret things and spoiler-free changelogs. Just keep it no over-powered, please ;)

• Like 1

Alkahest, the universal solvant, was kindly drawn by TheInsaneFruitloop. Check out her manga's, it's full of cuddling and topless men!

found a bug. opened the chest in the distiller set piece. everything burnt down as expected. next time i loaded the save, the distiller was whole again, not burnt. (everything else still burnt as you'd expect).

• Like 1

not sure if bug, intended, or a side effect of the SW recipe changes, but I found a boon skeleton in the desert, and while standing next to it all the sinister tabernacle recipes in the ancient tab appeared...

not sure if bug, intended, or a side effect of the SW recipe changes, but I found a boon skeleton in the desert, and while standing next to it all the sinister tabernacle recipes in the ancient tab appeared...

Wow, that's.... fantastic! *won't fix it*

Soooo, how slim are chances for version compatible with DST? ;)

Also, how dangerous is to try using it with Shipwrecked? Scientifically dangerous/ Magically insane?

Edited by Estel

Answer to self - after manually editing compatibility to hint having one with Shipwrecked, it seems safe to run. Still not sure if working properly, though (need to test it with RoG world started in SW compatibility mode).