So, I might get a bit of a slack from all you "MLG-too-pro-4-DST-mega-base" players, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. For balance.

I think it would balance out and encourage players more to use torso slot items if the two following changes were added:

* Most backpack inventory slots were nerfed (e.g. Backpack having 6 slots instead of 8, Piggyback having 8 slots instead of 12, but perhaps only a 5% speed loss instead of 10% and Krampus sack having 10 slots instead of 14).

* Backpacks of all kind can be placed inside normal inventory slots so long as they are empty.

This could mean that you would be thinking less about whether you should give up a backpack for some torso slot items or not and think more about whether you need something with you and what to equip to help you out. And you could, say, take a stroll to mine some rocks over yander while it's raining, then drop your backpack on the ground, stuffing it with every stack you get of rocks and once it stops raining, you return with the backpack on, utilising the Rain Coat as well as the Backpack. And, it would make things harder in general in terms of inventory carriage, which I would certainly welcome!

Honestly, backpacks should have both a smaller capacity, and slow players down by a percentage amount based on how full the backpack is. With the Piggback and Krampus Sack having more slots with slightly better percentage efficiency. And then yeah, you can carry it in your inventory but only when it is empty. 

Currently they are too effective and easy to swap to, it just completely imbalances the existence of torso items to an absurd degree. If they were changed to this concept they would be more of a resort people use when they need inventory space desperately for something; so they switch to the backpack to carry it all back to base. The speed reduction being enough to discourage people from using it constantly, only using it when they really need to. Being able to carry it around complementing that idea of it being an on-depend tool.

So for example, a backpack has four additional slots which reduce player speed by 20% when it is full. Piggyback has six additional slots which reduce player speed by 20% when they are all full. And Krampus sack has ten which reduce player speed by 20% when all are full.

But then again, if the people that play this game wanted it to be more fairly and logically challenging; ice would not be allowed to be the ultimate-game-carrying-filler, and people would not be able to use single monster meat to magically cook healthy meals.

So strange suggestion to encourage players more to use torso slot items. I never used any of torso slot items or amulets and I never will. Take 1 slot for thermal stone or get rid of backpack completely to wear puffy vest (hybearnation, dapper vest, floral shirt whatever...), which even doesn't protect me from temperature enough? Never!

A long time ago I created topic on this forum about what do people prefer: backpack or jackets. Seems that 98% of players prefer jackets and never use backpacks :D. Never met them in game tho, but anyway...

So just don't worry about that. Players do use all that torso slot stuff. Everyone does, except me, all my friends, all streamers and youtube players I've seen and every player on public servers I met.

I disagree with everything else but this:

11 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

* Backpacks of all kind can be placed inside normal inventory slots so long as they are empty.

I feel that bit of convenience would be terrific. However, I think backpacks needn't any nerfing because there are already torso-slot items that are better than backpacks. Backpacks were never a necessity that you're not allowed to take off, because they're just another tool and they're used for when you need to carry more items than usual. Nerfing backpacks because they've a specific use hasn't got sense, really.

8 hours ago, Apchi said:

A long time ago I created topic on this forum about what do people prefer: backpack or jackets. Seems that 98% of players prefer jackets and never use backpacks :D. Never met them in game tho, but anyway...

The answer to that is quite simple and it boils down to how many DST owners/players visit forums and from that number how many actually post in respective forums. And, of course, what type of people post most of the times. Take for example total number of posts in DST macro-section - around 180k over probably 3-4 years timeframe while some 6 millions DST copies have been sold. Even if you consider each post as being from 1 unique individual visiting member, that's about 3%. In its actuality the number of forumites is probably under 1% from total amount of game owners out there. How representative can 1% be for a general opinion regarding any subject? Plus forum members are usually people invested in the game, with many-many hours under the belt, knowing the ins and outs; and a vocal part of them will demand harder settings (in this thread the ones pro nerfing backpack slots number or advocating non-use of backpack entirely) as subjectivism runs rampant everywhere. While, as you point out, in game backpacks are used by the vast majority - and when considering game design/changes, you look at that majority, not a under 1% (more like 0,00X%).

7 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

The answer to that is quite simple and it boils down to how many DST owners/players visit forums and from that number how many actually post in respective forums. And, of course, what type of people post most of the times. Take for example total number of posts in DST macro-section - around 180k over probably 3-4 years timeframe while some 6 millions DST copies have been sold. Even if you consider each post as being from 1 unique individual visiting member, that's about 3%. In its actuality the number of forumites is probably under 1% from total amount of game owners out there. How representative can 1% be for a general opinion regarding any subject? Plus forum members are usually people invested in the game, with many-many hours under the belt, knowing the ins and outs; and a vocal part of them will demand harder settings (in this thread the ones pro nerfing backpack slots number or advocating non-use of backpack entirely) as subjectivism runs rampant everywhere. While, as you point out, in game backpacks are used by the vast majority - and when considering game design/changes, you look at that majority, not a under 1% (more like 0,00X%).

I understand that. It was just sarcasm. I'm just very disappointed that I can't use all that body stuff in game. 

I've seen most players use backpacks for most of the time in their torso slot, if not at all times. Sure, I will too admit, if all else fails, I will use something like a Rain Coat and sometimes use that Magilluminessence. But because of not being able to put Krampus sack anywhere where some newb won't steal it, while most other players that are coming in on a given server regularly already have Krampus sacks of their own or something, I have nowhere to put it, and end up having to use it. Trying to hide it would mean someone will essentially stumble upon it, and what would be the reason to hide it if I never use it?

20 hours ago, Renegade_Doll said:

So for example, a backpack has four additional slots which reduce player speed by 20% when it is full. Piggyback has six additional slots which reduce player speed by 20% when they are all full. And Krampus sack has ten which reduce player speed by 20% when all are full.

I think 6 slots for backpack and 8 slots for piggyback will do. Having things slow you down the more you have could be a cool addition, although I don't think players would take that very kindly. It's already annoying to get from one place to another to drop off stuff, and if we are significantly slower just because we have more inventory, in the base game at least, it would be a bit annoying. May be if we had energy stat with the ability to run as well, this could be decent, but some might not like this level of depth. Or, perhaps sanity could drain instead? Losing your mind from running endlessly? Then again, this would mean you could just run in circles to go insane... There's a lot to think about in context of that, so, simply having a small speed bonus deduction while the piggy back and may be the krampus sack are equipped, similarly to the marble suit, could work.

I would likely still choose a backpack over other body slot items if this nerf happened. I think a better solution would be to buff some body slot items (or maybe nerf some head slot items?) so they become more desirable to actually use. The real issue here seems to be that there's a lot of head slot items that do the same thing as some body slot items. I just feels like the trade-off isn't really worth it. Why use a puffy vest when you can get the same effect from a beefalo hat and open that body slot for a backpack?

19 hours ago, Donke60 said:

I thought it would be nice for some body slot items to have inventory spaces because most in game models have one or two pockets such as the summer frest or rain coat

I was thinking of that too, but, nng, not too good if we're trying to keep the game's mechanics relatively simple and fluent in style... not that there isn't plenty of stuff that already isn't fluent in the game in relation to it... but anyway, a nerf would make more sense in relation to the game, I feel. At least for the core game. And in any case, it's probably best to get used to carrying less as opposed to carrying as much as you possibly can.

I'd like if armor durability was buffed to what it used to be or more, but armor/clothing had to be worn to be carried, like backpacks. Then you'd really have to choose one or the other. Right now backpacks are just an inventory expansion that can be switched out for armor or anything else at a moment's notice.
Add a slot for small things like amulets, put them in a layer over the armor layer. Otherwise treat them like they currently are.

Archived