The best characters

9 minutes ago, King Rich 1357 said:

Only on day 18 

You should still have lots of resources. I can have 4 (or more) whole chest full of wood by day 18, and that's when I'm alone and are Woodie/Maxwell, get a friend to play as the opposite or same character and you could have tons of wood/rocks.

EDIT: A useful guide -

Oh my another one can we not have this. I can see a 5 page reply thread on why X is so OP then X ot Y was good but got nerfed. Might as well go fight the dishwasher as it can just be good as the kitchen sink.

Though I will indulge myself My fav is Warly and Wes and a small bit of maxwell but thats just mostly personalitly and barely any mechanics because I don't like how maxwell is mechnically.

10 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Oh my another one can we not have this. I can see a 5 page reply thread on why X is so OP then X ot Y was good but got nerfed. Might as well go fight the dishwasher as it can just be good as the kitchen sink.

Though I will indulge myself My fav is Warly and Wes and a small bit of maxwell but thats just mostly personalitly and barely any mechanics because I don't like how maxwell is mechnically.

Is warly a SW character 

The OP asked for what the best characters are, and while this is subjective, stating the most popularly regarded best characters would probably be the way to go in this situation.

Oh, and those characters are:

1. Wickerbottom

2. Wolfgang/WX-78

3. WX-78/Wolfgang

Wolfgang & WX-78's places can be interchanged freely, as their actually quite equal.

Anyway really hope that this all doesn't turn into a flame war, so I'm gonna stop posting on this thread now.

Also don't reply to this post as I won't be replying back making the effort of doing so useless. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you want to do really.

Just want someone simple, been struggling a bit with Winter? Wilson.
Want to farm small mobs without lifting a finger (and kill Moleworms while they're underground ._.)? Wendy. Also good for ruins, can farm Splumonkeys easily when they're in nightmare form.
Join in Winter or Summer and not expecting anyone to help? Willow.
Planning to do go on a lot of nomadic adventures? Wigfrid. She shines in that scenario. Free healing and sanity whenever you get attacked, valuable if you don't have base infrastructure.
And of course, Wolfgang is the meat machine. His minor speed boost in Mighty mode makes him great at everything, not to even mention all that extra health and damage. If you can manage your food resources, he's a great pick. If you're basing in caves/ruins, make sure to keep your sanity restoring stuff stocked. Easy to occasionally hit a green/blue shroom forest to stock your fridges if you're down there, though, and tents are practically free.

People that are more dependent on group play:
Resources? Maxwell and Wicker combo. He can read her books of course, but Max is also good for exploring the caves for a mushroom forest to supply Wicker with infinite sanity. Not to mention his general rock/wood gathering abilities, and how easily he can lower his sanity, and then recover after farming nightmare fuel.
...I personally like Maxwell even for less group oriented play, but I just like his personality. And I cave/ruin a lot. Good for that.
WX is amazing once you raid the ruins and get that juicy gear stash. Needs a Wicker to keep him charged with lightning; there are other ways to do it, but none that are nearly as effective as her book.

...Woodie's weird. He's better with pigs than other characters (they follow him for longer). More of a woodsman than a wood-chopper now, really (since Maxwell's puppets outpace his wood gathering without being interrupted by Werebeaver and Sanity issues and having to consume some of the wood).
But if you want to make a lot of use of pigs, have normal health, and have some free winter protection, he's good. Probably a better generalist than Wilson. Good use of Pigs makes him an alternative to Maxwell, with the addition that Pigs can fight without dying in one hit to nearly anything, and can also be armored. I would definitely play him more often if organized group play was more common on public servers.

If PvP still exists, Webber's probably good for turtles. Spiders harass, nest flooring slows, you're a lot harder to fight in your home as long as you keep anything flammable away.

I was expecting this kind of unuseful topic. These kind of discussions about who is the best character in the game make players in the end to take part to an endless forums wars. Again I'm asking, why do we really need these things to be discussed ? Does it really matter that much who is the best or not ? Me personally I play this game just because is fun, it has wonderful artworks and it's a co-op game. I don't care who is the best character. I even enjoy playing the boring Wilson. Please, can these topics stop once ?

If you know what your doing as Woodie you should almost never have to eat any wood. When I'm for some reason not gathering wood and my log meter is low I just eat twigs, as their way easier to collect in large batches then wood, especially in twiggy tree worlds. If I am gathering wood and are in a heavily tree filled area I let myself go beaver and quickly gnaw through as many trees as possible, refilling my log meter, and the potential insanity from being too slow at gnawing down the trees can be good to gather nightmare fuel, or if I need to be sane at that point in time I plant saplings. The free winter protection is quite nice too.

I haven't tried Woodies extra loyalty time perk yet, but aside from that this is what I've learned playing Woodie, I actually prefer him to Maxwell as his shadow puppets are way too destructive at times, as they often try to chop tier 1 trees and trees I'm trying to use for charcoal.

Personally, I like DST's Werebeaver more then the original, though he needs more armor protection and a buff to his damage. 65% damage reduction, the ability to heal when eating logs/twigs/grass etc. and spear level damage should make Werebeaver good for combat in a emergency or for fighting off nightmares.

I know I said that I would not post again, but I figured I'd post my thoughts on Woodie, he's not the best character, but he's not bad at all.

Also this doesn't really have anything to do with who the best character is, but I guess cause everyone else was posting some of their favorite characters I might as well too... Truth is the "best character(s)" is entirely subjective to your playstyle, think about that.

Archived