Could we have driven the devs to become reluctant to work on this game?

It's probably pointless to argue back in detail at this point and also a time-waste, so I'll make it a bit more general. Some of you do make some good points, like the fact that I could have done without writing an essay of text in the previous topic, but then some other parts are wrong on so many levels, like the "heart and soul" argument, because a game might have had developers work hard, but not really putting the time to think about the game design aspect of it enough, so how can you appreciate something for what it is not?

I've noticed a particular dogma on this forum and that being attempted bullying into making a person be like everyone else. I have said that my last topic was horse **** and I have apologised to Klei for spamming long walls of texts that even I would rarely want to read, yet I'm getting slack for many other things and in an exaggerated manner that makes me question what the incentive of some of these people is. Hell, I even praised Klei for their vote kick tweak and for god-knows what reason I'm getting slack for being appreciative... What?

Perhaps it's because the thought behind that had partly to do with trying to incentivise devs to look more into suggestions, but then again, what is wrong with that?

If you think the game is fine with insta deaths, people not having a clue of what they are supposed to do, game being easy for veterans, rot littered around the world causing lag and some other points, with this being quality game design in your opinion, then suit yourself, I guess.

And I believe I explained how it came to me spamming essays, and that is because good suggestions simply get forgotten in the respective section which not many care about. And as said, it's not just my suggestions, it's yours too, if you've posted any. That is one point that this topic was supposed to bring. Many of those individual suggestions I'm sure you would and possibly have found to be excellent, yet they simply get burried away to a point where everyone forgets it ever existed.

I will admit that, strangely, I end up having topic titles un-reflective of the content of the topic, or that not ending up being the core subject, so I guess you have a good point about that.

The main problem is not what you do, it's how you do this. Nothing is wrong in doing suggestion, it's why we have plenty of them. Ok, i will not list all the problem with your behaviour, you have enough example in the previous page, but i assure you, people could say a lot of things as long as they say it in a constructive way, open to discussion and keep in mind that maybe your idea could not be the best for the game.

And keep in mind that a change isn't a due, could never comes and maybe if it will, could come in a really long time.

22 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

If you think the game is fine with insta deaths, people not having a clue of what they are supposed to do, game being easy for veterans, rot littered around the world causing lag and some other points, with this being quality game design in your opinion, then suit yourself, I guess.

The game is fine with insta deaths and people not having a clue of what they are supposed to do. The game could be fine being easy for veteran, the problem is more complexe than "making the game harder". The lag is a specific problem.

Yes, the game is fine with insta deaths, AS LONG AS you deserved it. Dying during night in darkness is deserved (but usually not an insta death), dying of tentacles you didn't see is deserved (you should be cautious in swamp), dying of giant is deserved (stay away of the big bad thing), dying of ... Because you can learn for it and prepare for it next time.

People not having a clue about what they are supposed to do is fine. The purpose is to survive. Do whatever you think will help. And learn with that to see if it works or not.

My memories of my first steps in the game are still very good memories, it was fun. In a different way than now, not necessarily better, but different enough to be precious.

Learning how to play, discovering the world... The day i understood how to make charcoal was a great one for my survival.

And about the "making the game harder for veteran", i could open an entire topic as long as yours about this point, there is so much to say... It's a complex and deep subject, making the game harder isn't easy, making the game harder in a good way is even less easy, making the game harder only when people are ready and willing to is ... Even less easy. Not something you can solve with a "game should be harder for veteran". Or i could just say "game should be better".

5 hours ago, Lumina said:

The main problem is not what you do, it's how you do this. Nothing is wrong in doing suggestion, it's why we have plenty of them. Ok, i will not list all the problem with your behaviour, you have enough example in the previous page, but i assure you, people could say a lot of things as long as they say it in a constructive way, open to discussion and keep in mind that maybe your idea could not be the best for the game.

And keep in mind that a change isn't a due, could never comes and maybe if it will, could come in a really long time.

The game is fine with insta deaths and people not having a clue of what they are supposed to do. The game could be fine being easy for veteran, the problem is more complexe than "making the game harder". The lag is a specific problem.

Yes, the game is fine with insta deaths, AS LONG AS you deserved it. Dying during night in darkness is deserved (but usually not an insta death), dying of tentacles you didn't see is deserved (you should be cautious in swamp), dying of giant is deserved (stay away of the big bad thing), dying of ... Because you can learn for it and prepare for it next time.

People not having a clue about what they are supposed to do is fine. The purpose is to survive. Do whatever you think will help. And learn with that to see if it works or not.

My memories of my first steps in the game are still very good memories, it was fun. In a different way than now, not necessarily better, but different enough to be precious.

Learning how to play, discovering the world... The day i understood how to make charcoal was a great one for my survival.

And about the "making the game harder for veteran", i could open an entire topic as long as yours about this point, there is so much to say... It's a complex and deep subject, making the game harder isn't easy, making the game harder in a good way is even less easy, making the game harder only when people are ready and willing to is ... Even less easy. Not something you can solve with a "game should be harder for veteran". Or i could just say "game should be better".

Change is very much needed. It isn't due, but the more it's delayed, well, the more people you're leaving to simply pick up the game, play it a little bit, realize that the design of it is just the game telling them to **** off, and so they'll leave. The game isn't for everyone, sure, but for those who actually are hoping to find some fluid gameplay experience, I don't see that happening much at all in the DST's current state. DS's perhaps a bit more, but definitely less in DST.

Why? How? How is it fine? How is this good game design? Some douchebag planting a spider nest near portal, killing every new player that joins is just fine? Or even the nest just migrating to the portal is fine? None can deserve an insta-death. I think you've misunderstood what I meant by "insta-death". By "insta-death" I mean that when the player joins, they have no way of keeping themselves alive within the time they have before an imminent threat kills them. That is insta-death, which occurs over and over, which makes for very, VERY bad game design.

Clue. Not knowing, but having a clue. The game cluing the player what they should be doing, from things like quotes, better control explenations (like, why do controllers show you what each button/button combo does, but not when you're playing with a keyboard, for example?)

I know about the "making the game harder for veteral", you don't have to open a whole topic about it. I simply brought it up as an issue for the game in this thread. Nothing else. Not even how Klei could deal with it. Just brought it up as an issue, yet you're explaining it like I think it's so easy to do. My problem is with them not trying to address it, not that I think there's these specific things they should do for it. I have suggested what they could do in terms of it (e.g. randomize attack patterns and may be attack periods for various mobs), but that doesn't mean I'm trying to shove this one specific thing down their throat in terms of this subject. I have done that in the past with some other things, but that's because those concepts/subjects were much more straight-forward and, as said earlier, because suggestions just keep getting pushed aside.

If anyone thinks that suggestions are brushed off more as a result of me, I am pretty sure you'd be wrong, because the section was kind of a graveyard before this conundrum and the fact that the suggestion graveyarding was actually the main reason I started doing what I did. Should have done that? Probably not, but at the time I didn't see any other way to try and point out to them that there indeed are good suggestions in the section and that they seem to miss on a lot of them. Just take the... I realized something, reading through the suggestions section that kind of backfires at me a little bit >.> a lot of the suggestions over there are not very goooood and some are even demands, like some of mine which were before... I guess I can understand more why some good suggestions never get put into the game. It's like the DST mod workshop. Or finding a needle in a hay stack. Well, may be not that bad, but... yeah...

4 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I think you've misunderstood what I meant by "insta-death". By "insta-death" I mean that when the player joins, they have no way of keeping themselves alive within the time they have before an imminent threat kills them.

Yeah, because you didn't explained it, I explained, me, that insta-death is fine as long as the player deserved it. Do you think that player dying because of tentacle or spider at spawn deserved to die ? Me neither. So problem isn't insta-death, it's griefing around portal (must admit i never saw one, but i didn't play that often on public server).

Two quick points and then I'm out, because there really is not much point in a discussion if one of the parties is already wholly convinced on their position. Who knows tho, perhaps you'll consider it.

1 - Brevity, is the soul of wit.

2 - You keep forgetting that all of these (wordy) suggestions should be prefaced with: "In my opinion..."

3 hours ago, Lumina said:

Yeah, because you didn't explained it, I explained, me, that insta-death is fine as long as the player deserved it. Do you think that player dying because of tentacle or spider at spawn deserved to die ? Me neither. So problem isn't insta-death, it's griefing around portal (must admit i never saw one, but i didn't play that often on public server).

It's not just griefing around the portal; it's also harsh seasons.

37 minutes ago, Bunions said:

Two quick points and then I'm out, because there really is not much point in a discussion if one of the parties is already wholly convinced on their position. Who knows tho, perhaps you'll consider it.

1 - Brevity, is the soul of wit.

2 - You keep forgetting that all of these (wordy) suggestions should be prefaced with: "In my opinion..."

1. If you mean I should not make walls of text over and over about the same thing, then yes, I realize that. In fact, too huge of a text in and of itself isn't that good.

2. I don't care to do that. You all already know that it's just opinion. Everything here is a goddamn opinion in relation to the game, except what's actually in the game in terms of values and strategies. So it's just pointless speech. Imagine if I put "In my opinion..." for every little statement I made in that wall of text of my previous topic. Would it have made it any better? Probably not.

11 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

It's not just griefing around the portal; it's also harsh seasons.

If you aren't able to survive in a harsh season, filter the server to avoid the seasons you aren't able to survive. I can't survive in summer without some stuff, so i don't join servers in summer. I'm not saying that there should be no change, i made a mod giving some items when starting in winter/summer and some people made mods based on mine (so you could find a lot of variations), and it could be added to the game (to make servers more alive during summer and winter), but people have to be cautious, yes, joining during summer/winter could be dangerous. If they choose to do so it's not the game fault.

You know what, at this rate I might as well make a keybind for this.

Please, calm down with these "OMG have the devs quit !!1!!1?" or "NEW CONTENT PLSPLSPLSPLSPLS" threads. It not only bothers the forumers, it also (likely) annoys the devs. Just because they aren't chucking new content/information out frequently doesn't mean they have quit development. Give them time. Basically this: everytime you make a "new content" or "is this game dead?" thread, you make a nome cry.

If I had a nickel for every time one of these threads were posted, I would be able to afford TWO hallowed light skins for everyone on this forum, and then some. The answer has always been this: No. The metheus puzzles (and leak of winona) have proved that there is going to be more content/the devs aren't done working on this game.

@ImDaMisterL

@OttoVonChesterfield  even though you feel strongly about this, that is no way to talk to someone  please hold back your aggression and be respectful. As for helping those who join on harsh seasons give them temporary season immunity. However I feel that knowing when to join a server is important to learn even if how to learn can push people away. I find it inevitable and can't be helped.

Hey everybody. Please stay on the topic. If you feel another post does not follow community standards, please report it otherwise if you have something constructive to contribute, please do and if you don't just move on.

Archived